+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S6 Sweetheart???

Of course they would.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Still withholding the Sweetheart Award

Christy had an angry and vengeful side and a kind of strength that previous 'sweethearts' didn't have. Plus, she was an outsider and really overcame a lot of obstacles completely on her own without the help of a Rodger or Paschal.
    Totally agree with you on that, Miss F.

Christy has a lot of pent-up rage and while that may have helped her face the hurdles and keep strong, she has lost any soft edges she might have had fighting off the "bitch attacks" by the Gruesome Twosome.

Also, what is that about not talking to her mom and crying over a letter from a friend and not family? There is a story there that we are not hearing about. Some sadness in Christy's eyes attests to that as well.

Leo
    Premium Member
    I really have some difficulty awarding the sweetheart award to Matt. I still find him freaky, even though I want him to win now. Have to agree with CaliGirl, there is no S6 Sweetheart.

Rob's the sweetheart. No doubt about it.

: Rob?! I think he's funny as hell, but Sweetheart, no.
    The things you regret most in life are the risks you didn't take. -Matthew Von Ertfelda

Rob really managed to singlehandedly make this Survivor memorable. He's the first person since Richard to really control this game and his actions have really mixed it up.

He's the king and while I think he'll inevitably be booted, he really deserves to win more than anyone.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Newbie
    "also, what is that about not talking to her mom and crying over a letter from a friend and not family? There is a story there that we are not hearing about. Some sadness in Christy's eyes attests to that as well."

hi, i usually lurk here, but when fluff mentioned this i had to respond. a lot of deaf people tend to have strained relationships with their hearing parents. This, of course, cannot be generalized to all, but it seems to be one of the major characteristics of deaf people- their estrangement from their hearing families.

Sometimes it is the lack of communication as many either know no sign or they are not terribly fluent in it.

Others may have issues with how their parents treat them, perhaps they barely exist in their homes, only spoken to if they need something and ignored the rest of the time, some parents are very very overprotective of them, essentially treating them like children (my relationship with my mom has a little tinge of that).

a related issue is that parents do not understand their children- I have had fights with my parents that had deafness in there somewhere- like when i did not respond to an uncle (i am hard-of-hearing, many people apparentlly have no idea that i am hard of hearing until i tell them), it looked like i was being rude to him but i simply had no idea that he was actually talking to me. she yelled at me for that. This may seem sort of petty, it is, but if your relationship is cluttered with these kind of arguments it can take a toll

parents do forget that their kids cannot hear everything that is going on, and that they get frustrated. I essentially stopped really talking to anyone in my family, aunts uncles.... i have little in common with them and don't understand them well- my parents understand that though they wish i had better relations with them. other deaf people are not so lucky- i've heard of parents bawling their adult deaf kids for not socializing enough with relatives and forgetting that relationships go both ways- the relatives should also put in an effort.

Another factor may simply be that those who have attended the deaf schools spend more time there, in an environment where they can interact and communicate freely with their peers and occaisonally with staff and faculty. I have seen students at my deaf school and, at gallaudet sometimes, that do not want to go back home- they'd prefer to stay at the school or around other deaf people.

i'm sure there are other common problems that plague deaf peoples relationships with hearing parents- but i honestly can't think of any more

geez, i wasn't expecting to put in such a long post- sorry about that- i hope that some of this was interesting and somewhat new to you

Hi kellin to the site.

Please don't apologise for giving us such a wonderful post.
    Your words were very touching and provided a real insight into the issues Christy might face with her parents.

Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
    "That's Numberwang!"

deaf people and their parents

that was really interesting. I'm glad you posted it.

Welcome Kellin! Glad to have you here.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast