+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 11/26 Clip Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 11/26 Clip Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3758268;
    My last comment on this one, I think.

The point is, if Laura didn't want to know about Shambo's family or be sympathetic, why bring it up? It was fake for her to even ask about it. Shambo was on the beach upset, so Laura approaches her and brings up her dead brother and asks her questions about her family. Shambo has a melt-down, and Laura's response is pretty much nothing. What Laura revealed is she was "kind enough" to say aw, poor Shambo, but the sympathy was fake. It was obvious she didn't give a hoot whether Shambo was upset or not... Laura showed NO genuine sympathy whatsoever.
    Shambo felt that if you really don't give a crap, don't approach and ask me about it. I'm with her on that, 100 percent.
    Yeah, that was pretty bitchy of her. No matter how much I didn't like someone, if they were telling me about losing 2 siblings, I would genuinely feel sympathetic towards them and try to comfort them, and maybe understand that that is why this person seems so "socially awkward" or what have you. Someone who wants to minister to people should surely be able to do that.

And about losing an infant brother not being enough to garner sympathy? I remember my mother telling me about how she miscarried before I was even born. Just the thought of the possibility of having an older sister made me sad about it. And that on top of losing her sister, I'd say she at least deserved a hug

Quote Originally Posted by neighborhoodie;3758289;
    Yeah, that was pretty bitchy of her. No matter how much I didn't like someone, if they were telling me about losing 2 siblings, I would genuinely feel sympathetic towards them and try to comfort them, and maybe understand that that is why this person seems so "socially awkward" or what have you. Someone who wants to minister to people should surely be able to do that.

And about losing an infant brother not being enough to garner sympathy? I remember my mother telling me about how she miscarried before I was even born. Just the thought of the possibility of having an older sister made me sad about it. And that on top of losing her sister, I'd say she at least deserved a hug
    Just to clarify, I did say it was sad she lost an infant brother, but that it was hard to garner a lot of sympathy for. Shambo was bawling on the beach about that which happened 40 some-odd years ago and about her sister that she lost over 25 years ago. Maybe it's just me, but it looked like she was using that as an excuse to feel pity on her and it really is a pet peeve of mine when people do that. I lost my brother from his heart suddenly stopping 6 years ago when he was young, active and fit. It was a freak ocurrence, but even I have moved on. So watching Shambo bawl about losing her infant brother when she herself was an infant 40 years ago seems totally off to me. I'm not trying to sound cold either, it's just how I see it. She has deep rooted issues that stem from her past and clearly her issues are being taken out on Galu (especially Laura).

That conversation also sounded spliced together anyway. It was very botched so I know editing was involved in putting that conversation together. But I can't blame Laura for not being sappy with Shambo considering Shambo making it quite clear about her personal vendetta against her. Maybe I'm just a cold person myself

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3758292;
    watching Shambo bawl about losing her infant brother when she herself was an infant 40 years ago seems totally off to me.
    Shambo explained that she was feeling homesick. I think the conditions and isolations of Survivor could greatly amplify something like that. The producers count on that vulnerability when it is time for the family reward challenge.
    That conversation also sounded spliced together anyway.
    That certainly could be.
    I can't blame Laura for not being sappy with Shambo considering Shambo making it quite clear about her personal vendetta against her.
    Not for regular folk, but for someone intending to enter the ministry it is a huge red flag of incompatibility.

...So watching Shambo bawl about losing her infant brother when she herself was an infant 40 years ago seems totally off to me. I'm not trying to sound cold either, it's just how I see it.
    I don't think you sound cold. Everyone on this planet has lost someone, some people have lost many someones. At some point we all have to stop crying about it and move on. I would feel sympathy for someone who was crying about their dead sibling...until I heard it was over twenty years ago. That is just freakin' ridiculous. I can seriously hear Shambles' confessional in my head if Laura was boo hooing over a long-dead relative on the beach - there would be a lot of tough, manly, military type talk about sucking it up, you may be certain.

And this is not to say that Laura isn't a bitch - she most certainly is. As to whether she's fit to enter the ministry, well, she behaves like every minister/priest I've ever met, so I can't really say that she isn't unsuitable.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3758306;
    I don't think you sound cold. Everyone on this planet has lost someone, some people have lost many someones. At some point we all have to stop crying about it and move on. I would feel sympathy for someone who was crying about their dead sibling...until I heard it was over twenty years ago. That is just freakin' ridiculous. I can seriously hear Shambles' confessional in my head if Laura was boo hooing over a long-dead relative on the beach - there would be a lot of tough, manly, military type talk about sucking it up, you may be certain.

And this is not to say that Laura isn't a bitch - she most certainly is. As to whether she's fit to enter the ministry, well, she behaves like every minister/priest I've ever met, so I can't really say that she isn't unsuitable.
    I would tend to agree, except for the fact that Shambo has been away from her family for an extended period of time, with people who obviously don't like her, isn't eating or sleeping, is cold, tired and often physically uncomfortable. I think all those circumstances, piled one on top of the other, could be enough to push even the strongest person over the edge.

I also agree that Shambo seems to be a bit "flaky", at best, and Laura didn't come across as being particularly sympathetic or empathetic. Maybe that's just her way. Sometimes people don't know how to react when someone else is having an emotional moment. I suppose if Laura is going into the ministry, this is a trait that she might need, but who knows what went on that never made it onto the show.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3758321;
    I would tend to agree, except for the fact that Shambo has been away from her family for an extended period of time, with people who obviously don't like her, isn't eating or sleeping, is cold, tired and often physically uncomfortable. I think all those circumstances, piled one on top of the other, could be enough to push even the strongest person over the edge.

I also agree that Shambo seems to be a bit "flaky", at best, and Laura didn't come across as being particularly sympathetic or empathetic. Maybe that's just her way. Sometimes people don't know how to react when someone else is having an emotional moment. I suppose if Laura is going into the ministry, this is a trait that she might need, but who knows what went on that never made it onto the show.
    There is always the possibility that something was edited to look different than it really was. However, I can judge only what I see on the show, so putting that aside:

Survivors have cried and even had hysterical fits over their families that they haven't seen for a week. They are under tremendous physical and mental stress, which tends to make even the most stable people into basket cases. So no, I don't really think Shambo was out of line for boo-hooing over deaths that happened years ago. If that was something she did for no good reason in real life, well that would be another story.

Laura's reaction, imo, was incredibly cold. Not only were the things she said, said without sympathy of any kind, she never bothered to even sit up or look at Shambo at all. I happen to be a person who doesn't always deal well with other people's emotions, but even if I handle it badly, I know I would at least look uncomfortable, like I had no idea what to do (which would be exactly the case). But Laura didn't look uncomfortable, nor did she look annoyed (which some here think she had the right to be). She looked bored. How can you be bored by someone's misery? There's something just not right about that.

And, just for the record, the religious women I know tend to be very emotional. I'd say more emotional than average, by far. So if that's Laura's "bedside manner" when a woman breaks down, she's going to have a lot of trouble with women's ministry.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3758345;
    There is always the possibility that something was edited to look different than it really was. However, I can judge only what I see on the show, so putting that aside:

Survivors have cried and even had hysterical fits over their families that they haven't seen for a week. They are under tremendous physical and mental stress, which tends to make even the most stable people into basket cases. So no, I don't really think Shambo was out of line for boo-hooing over deaths that happened years ago. If that was something she did for no good reason in real life, well that would be another story.

Laura's reaction, imo, was incredibly cold. Not only were the things she said, said without sympathy of any kind, she never bothered to even sit up or look at Shambo at all. I happen to be a person who doesn't always deal well with other people's emotions, but even if I handle it badly, I know I would at least look uncomfortable, like I had no idea what to do (which would be exactly the case). But Laura didn't look uncomfortable, nor did she look annoyed (which some here think she had the right to be). She looked bored. How can you be bored by someone's misery? There's something just not right about that.
    And, just for the record, the religious women I know tend to be very emotional. I'd say more emotional than average, by far. So if that's Laura's "bedside manner" when a woman breaks down, she's going to have a lot of trouble with women's ministry.
    I think you hit the nail right there. If you're going to ask someone about their problems, bring up their dead brother and stuff, and least pretend as though you're interested in the answers they're giving you.

Also, for those who say "move on"... well, I've been through a bunch of crap in my life, and there are times when I'm under stress or whatever when it comes back up... just a good old cry (alone) and I'm back to life, but I need those moments to mourn even after many years.
    As Lil Bit mentioned, Survivor is a whole new ball game. You get REALLY run down, I'm sure, and it isn't easy to run and hide, especially when you have someone questioning you.
    Here's the thing. For Laura, it was gameplay... maybe she was starting to see that maybe they would need Shambo. Shambo saw throught that, naturally. Laura's comment (quoted loosely) to "hang in there, it was only twenty more days" was surely an indicator that her mind was on the game, at least it seemed that way to me.

so much for the final word.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-27-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Just to clarify, I did say it was sad she lost an infant brother, but that it was hard to garner a lot of sympathy for. Shambo was bawling on the beach about that which happened 40 some-odd years ago and about her sister that she lost over 25 years ago. Maybe it's just me, but it looked like she was using that as an excuse to feel pity on her and it really is a pet peeve of mine when people do that. I lost my brother from his heart suddenly stopping 6 years ago when he was young, active and fit. It was a freak ocurrence, but even I have moved on. So watching Shambo bawl about losing her infant brother when she herself was an infant 40 years ago seems totally off to me. I'm not trying to sound cold either, it's just how I see it. She has deep rooted issues that stem from her past and clearly her issues are being taken out on Galu (especially Laura).

That conversation also sounded spliced together anyway. It was very botched so I know editing was involved in putting that conversation together. But I can't blame Laura for not being sappy with Shambo considering Shambo making it quite clear about her personal vendetta against her. Maybe I'm just a cold person myself
    I understand what you're saying People deal with things in different ways, I wouldn't say you're cold for feeling that way. You're able to move on and that is something I completely respect and wish I could do more easily Like, I don't think I would be bawling after not seeing my family for a weeks like these people, but I guess it's a lot of stress so that is what I would chalk it up to in Shambo's case.

Edit: Also agree it was heavily edited as we didn't even see how it all started so who knows

FORT Fogey

"Shambo explained that she was feeling homesick. I think the conditions and isolations of Survivor could greatly amplify something like that. The producers count on that vulnerability when it is time for the family reward challenge"

Absolutely.

Anyone who has suddenly found themselves isolated from their life for a significant period of time can tell you what that does to your emotional balance.

A lot of "old" things come up and become important all over again.

It does seem somewhat cold to not recognize just how emotionally trying this type of situation really is.

Apparently not everyone has gone through basic training or been in any kind of longterm situation that strips away everything that makes one feel most like themselves. It is a recognized psychological phenomenon and one which even cult leaders use to their advantage when working on potential recruits.

The obsession with catching the chicken is the same kind of reaction to this emotionally stark situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3758306;

I actually think you're being pretty clear here.

People love to take sides--especially on the Internet. But the problem with those tendencies when it comes to reality TV is the fact that often they're ALL idiots.

To me that's clearly what we have here.

Laura is disgusting and has no business ministering anyone, I agree with the people saying that. But coming to that conclusion doesn't make Shambles the "winner" in that battle of idiots. Basically we have a situation with two total losers sitting on a beach, each of them being idiotic in their own "special" way. As I said WAY back during the actual episode... neither of them comes out of that looking all that impressive. Or even tolerable.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast