+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/19 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/19 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by chicmommy;3753764;
    Dave is supposed to be a fitness trainer.... doesn't make sense that Russell could lose him by going on a jog.
    I doubt it was really about fitness. Russell has been scouring the camps, while the others have been laying on the beach having a vacation. He probably just knew the terrain better, and knew where to ditch Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by neighborhoodie;3753771;
    Have you heard the clues they give? Sound extremely easy. They have to be by some kind of landmark, so there's not too many places it could be. Frankly I'm surprised it took someone this long to find one without any clues. I would be looking day 1.
    Probst stated that the re-hidden idols are easy to find because they WANT them to be played. They don't want people spending 3-4 episodes looking for it when there's only 3-4 episodes to go in the season.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

Having Russell find *3* HII's now just makes it hard to believe that there was no producer involvement.
    Russell found all three HII's because he LOOKED for them. The others seem to think that they don't need to look for them, that they'll just fall from the sky into their laps, or something. The producers don't need to be involved if a player uses their grey matter! (something sadly lacking in the bunch)

Dave is supposed to be a fitness trainer.... doesn't make sense that Russell could lose him by going on a jog.
    Dave may be a fitness instructor, but he's not as wiley as ole Russ...Russell deaked, bobbed and swayed, and Dave looked like an idiot. hahaha. that was a great moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3753777;
    Probst stated that the re-hidden idols are easy to find because they WANT them to be played. They don't want people spending 3-4 episodes looking for it when there's only 3-4 episodes to go in the season.
    Ah, that makes sense. I guess that could be viewed as a bit of "producer manipulation" but not so far as in favor of one contestant finding it over another.

Quote Originally Posted by neighborhoodie;3753779;
    Ah, that makes sense. I guess that could be viewed as a bit of "producer manipulation" .
    No it couldn't, as everyone has equal opportunity to find them. It's not favoring anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3753732;
    Did Russell challenge Dave to follow him because he realized that Dave was close to the idol? I think he may have but can't really be sure. I cannot believe the way this guy has run this show.
    No. He just realized that Dave WAS following him and doing whatever he was doing.

Don't credit Dave with "almost figuring out where the idol was". He was only looking where he was in the first place because Russell was doing the same kind of search a few feet away. Russ realized mid-stream though that where Dave was standing was more likely though, and because Dave is a sheep without a real thought in his empty head, he just followed Russell out of there...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

I don't believe there was any producer involvement in the same person finding all three HIIs. I'm usually among the first to cry scripted conspiracy in reality TV these days, but this show actually has a tangible, valuable prize at the end of it -- $1 million, not a tacky mirror-ball trophy or some short lived faux-mance. It would be a huge legal nightmare if it was discovered that they "fixed" it.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3753762;
    Having Russell find *3* HII's now just makes it hard to believe that there was no producer involvement.
    I honestly try to respect other poster's points of view here as much as possible... but... I'm having trouble here. Forgive me. I can't respect this idea all that much.

I keep seeing this claim, but it makes zero sense. The producers certainly aren't going to tip off Russell and risk having that get out (and it WOULD), so at most it was strictly up to them replaying the Idol knowing Russ is smarter and harder working than the others (and only because of that more likely to find the Idols).

In other words, Russ had no more or no less of a chance than anyone else. Well, unless you harp on him being better at this game than the others as "unfair" (and you can't do that--him being smarter or better isn't unfair, unethical or any other "un" from the point of the production).

Given that we know most reality shows aren't cast for intelligence, why's it any surprise that we've got a scenario with a single person so much more crafty than all of the others? We've got a band full of idiots, one or two people of moderate intelligence (like John) and then.... Russell. So OF COURSE he's going to find it over them. Especially since they are also lazy compared to him.
    Last edited by Krom; 11-19-2009 at 09:55 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3753781;
    No it couldn't, as everyone has equal opportunity to find them. It's not favoring anyone.
    Ok, I basically said that if you had quoted my whole post.

"but not so far as in favor of one contestant finding it over another." is what you left out.

They are manipulating the chance of people finding an idol by making the clues easy. More drama, ratings, etc. Pawpaw said this, they want the idol to be found quickly and not sit out in the jungle and rot (thanks for that info by the way Pawpaw )

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3753759;
    a quick question. Dave came into the game with the highest IQ of any contestant ever to play the game. Why is he so dim? I guess IQ doesn't translate to 'on your feet smarts'...

Very old saying--there is book smarts and there's street smarts.
    It's true. I tested at 142, but am basically dumb as a rock about most things. The only thing a high IQ gets most people is an inflated sense of their own superiority.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread