+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 11/12 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 11/12 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer View Post
    many viewers are saying they have NO idea who most of the players are
    Come on, WD, MOST of which following players would many regular viewers have absolutely NO idea about at this point?

Russell
    Jaison
    Mick
    Dave
    John
    Brett
    Shambo
    Laura
    Natalie
    Monica

We only have 10 players left and most of them have had substantial air time along the way, some more recently than others. Starting with 20 made it difficult, but CVS has lots of aids available. Take a look at the tapes CBS prepared on each player just as the game was starting. Take a look at Jeff's hilarious weekly blog. After nine episodes I feel very comfortable with all of these players. And with several episodes left I expect to learn even more about them. One improvement this season has been fewer challenges which gives us more time to see the interactions. Anyone who could say they have no idea about most of the players at this point has slept through the season. And missed some really neat stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by sjjmom;3749512;

Laura, BTW, is a much bigger *ss than Russell has ever been. She's nasty and hypocritical and full of herself, and generally just an ugly person.

I am impressed by both Russell and Laura's gameplay. But I really am curious about your reasoning for thinking Laura is a bigger ass than Russell, and why she's nasty and hypocritical? She's full of herself--yes, but I see that as arrogance that comes with thinking you have control of the game. I have never seen her be that big of a bitch though.

Sure she got in a tiff with Shambo, but is it that anyone who gets in a tiff with Shambo is a bitch? Because in my opinion Shambo is the one feeling sorry for herself and is always moping around throwing a pity party for herself. She lost their chicken and snorkel gear--of course people are going to be fed up with her.

I think Shambo already had preconceived notions against the members of Galu--especially the women, and that has affected how she treated them in the game and vice versa. I really don't see what Laura has done wrong other than play the game.

I don't 'like' Russell, he seems like a total troll, but he is an excellent player. This was an excellent episode in big part due to his gameplay.

I didn't dislike Laura really until TC. The other Galu members were shocked, but even Kelly didn't seem angry the way Laura did. Even Dave's expression was more shocked and impressed than ticked off. As many have said, the attitude of 'how dare you save yourself' is very unattractive. It is better to appreciate and respect that you were 'outplayed.'
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Wryle;3749808;
    I don't 'like' Russell, he seems like a total troll, but he is an excellent player. This was an excellent episode in big part due to his gameplay.

I didn't dislike Laura really until TC. The other Galu members were shocked, but even Kelly didn't seem angry the way Laura did. Even Dave's expression was more shocked and impressed than ticked off. As many have said, the attitude of 'how dare you save yourself' is very unattractive. It is better to appreciate and respect that you were 'outplayed.'
    I'm not trying to defend Laura, but to me, that goes with the cockiness she had by feeling like she was in control. It's the competetive nature, and if things don't go your way ina competition, sometimes your first reaction is to be unjustly angry.

All she said was "He just stirred up a lot of hell", to me that wasn't saying "HOW DARE HE?", but rather, he flipped the game and now she and her minions need to find a way to successfully retaliate.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3749806;
    I am impressed by both Russell and Laura's gameplay. But I really am curious about your reasoning for thinking Laura is a bigger ass than Russell, and why she's nasty and hypocritical? She's full of herself--yes, but I see that as arrogance that comes with thinking you have control of the game. I have never seen her be that big of a bitch though.
    I respect her gameplay. No question she's smart. And yes, Shambo brings stuff on herself, to an extent. But imo, Laura is meaner to her than necessary. Especially since Shambo is already the outcast, why rub it in? But while I think Russell is honest about being a jerk and playing the game, Laura wants us to believe she's nice, she has (imo) a holier-than-thou type attitude, when really she's playing the game. As others have said, I found her anger at Tribal Council to be very unattractive.

On another note, I always find it very difficult to like people who rub in their superiority when they have the "numbers" on Survivor, or who expect the people who are outnumbered to just roll over and play dead. And Laura seems to fall into that category for me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;3749804;
    Come on, WD, MOST of which following players would many regular viewers have absolutely NO idea about at this point?

Russell
    Jaison
    Mick
    Dave
    John
    Brett
    Shambo
    Laura
    Natalie
    Monica

We only have 10 players left and most of them have had substantial air time along the way, some more recently than others. Starting with 20 made it difficult, but CVS has lots of aids available. Take a look at the tapes CBS prepared on each player just as the game was starting. Take a look at Jeff's hilarious weekly blog. After nine episodes I feel very comfortable with all of these players. And with several episodes left I expect to learn even more about them. One improvement this season has been fewer challenges which gives us more time to see the interactions. Anyone who could say they have no idea about most of the players at this point has slept through the season. And missed some really neat stuff!
    When ONE player gets 30+ scenes in one episode (at least two weeks in a row) and many others get no airtime at all--it's really hard to get to know the other players.

There have been numerous complaints about this all season--inckluding this week.

I know next to nothing about John and Brett and Mick and even Laura--about their gameplay and their relationships and interactions with other players.

I knewe next to nothing about Kelly--until last week it was "Kelly who?"

It is still Mick and John and Brett who?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSSS;3749806;
    Sure she got in a tiff with Shambo, but is it that anyone who gets in a tiff with Shambo is a bitch? Because in my opinion Shambo is the one feeling sorry for herself and is always moping around throwing a pity party for herself. She lost their chicken and snorkel gear--of course people are going to be fed up with her.
    Believe me, Shambo annoys the hell out of me. But they way Laura treats her, and her general reactions to things, is just shrewish. And much to my surprise, I would have to think that if I had to spend time either Russell or Laura in real life, it would have to be Russell. I much prefer the company of a scoundrel to that of a shrew.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3749820;
    I know next to nothing about John and Brett and Mick and even Laura--about their gameplay and their relationships and interactions with other players.

I knewe next to nothing about Kelly--until last week it was "Kelly who?"

In my opinion only, everyone should know who Laura is and a bit about her gameplay by now. We know less about John and Brett because they haven't done anything terribly exciting in the last 2 weeks and before that they were on a tribe that was always winning. Same with Kelly. The same thing happened in the season with Stephenie - we didn't know much about the other tribe because her tribe lost constantly, and their arguing and TCs were more camera-worthy than the celebrations of that other tribe.

As for Mick, he's been on camera all season as part of FoaFoa. If we don't know him yet, it must be because there's not much to know. I see his game as being kind of like his strategy for the shape sorter last night - sit around and stare into space, and hope something positive will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by suebenjamin;3749454;
    My understanding is that if a hidden immunity idol is used, it's replanted up to the final 4 or 5 depending on the season. If, on the other hand, an individual leaves the game with the idol, the idol is not replanted.

Unfortunately, in the past, almost everyone with the idol has either left the game with it or used it at the last opportunity. I think the survivor people have been itching for the opportunity to see it used repeatedly. I think Probst and Burnett are overjoyed to finally see someone with the second highest number of votes go. I don't understand why Foa Foa targeted Kelly rather than a stronger player.

Way to go, Russell!
    This isn't the first time the second highest vote getter left - Amanda's second season (fans vs. favorites) she pulled the "I'm going home" tears then pulled out the idol - this after Ozzy and another person left with it in their hands.

For a long time - no matter if you used it or left with it, the idol was forfeited. That's why James had two HII's and left with both - and none were replaced. It's now where it's constantly in game, making everyone look for it and keep good finders like Russell keep finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3749820;
    Great! We're making progress, that isn't "most" of the players!

John and Brett are part of the GaluGuy-4. We saw a lot of both of them then and later John when RH was working him. We saw a lot of their shivering forms during the tarpless deluge, when they were huddling together and couldn't talk strategy because everyone was present. What excitement was the cameramen supposed to dredge up during that period?

Mick is intentionally UTR. By definition you won't learn much about a UTR player except that he is UTR. That's by choice of the player, not production. Which is why you didn't get to know Kelly. By choice, she was UTR. Do you want lots of footage of her not doing anything? We know that Mick has chosen, for the time being, to stick solidly with the Foa remnants, so we know what his interactions are from that. We saw a fair amount of Mick early, as the driftless tribe leader, when there were separate tribes, especially before the earliest TCs.

We have seen a great deal of Laura, and not very complementary edits, which is why many of us have taken somewhat of a disliking to her. Hard to dislike someone if you don't know anything about them. We have seen quite enough to have strong opinions about her.

We see how the players react or work with each other during one or two challenges every week. Who is demeaning the other players (Dave). Who is standing there with their thumbs up their nose (Shambo and Mick). Who is busting tail to work through the physical challenges (invariably not Monica, and Shambo has difficulty keeping up).

Honestly, there is a great deal out there already. I'm not feeling at all cheated by production, and I know I will learn a great deal more before final TC.

+ Reply to Thread