+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Interview With Yasmin - "It is what it is."

Survivor: Interview With Yasmin - "It is what it is."

The latest to have their torch snuffed is Yasmin, the 33 year old opinionated hairstylist from Los Angeles. Check out what she has to say in this conference call about those crazy shoes and if she and Ben will be exchanging Christmas cards....

It was obvious you didnít have many of your tribemates on your side. Do you feel you campaigned enough?

No, I think I actually felt like it was just time for me to go, and was happy to go. [laughs] I think I had did all that I could do. You know, I thought just stepping it up in challenges would be enough and since it wasnít, my head was on the chopping block. I gave a nice smile and was like, see you later!

What are your thoughts on the issue of you not doing enough around camp?

They were true. I was lazy half the time and I was tired! See, Iím not afraid to admit that. But you know, when people come up short in other areas, theyíre strong in other ones. And I thought that because I was helping with the challenges, maybe I would be seen as an asset instead of a liability but it went the total opposite way.

What was your initial strategy going in?

I didnít have one, I was recruited! [laughing] Iím just being honest with you, I donít want to lie. I kind of looked at it like a challenge, like, ďCan I do this?Ē I had seen previous episodes here and there and I actually had my favorites throughout different seasons, but I didnít know that Survivor would be as tough as it was.

What possessed you to bring heels into the jungle?

Iím a girly girl, and I just figured at some point that they might be nice to wear then maybe I could take them off. [laughs] Again, thatís another thing that went south and once I actually got there and went ďOh my God, I have to play in these?Ē You know, they were sinking in the sand...I just said Iím gonna try and make lemonade out of these lemons.

Fair enough. How did you feel about Benís comments on the beach, and his subsequent confrontation with Jaison?

Mmm. Benís comments didnít faze me too much because Ben is a kid. You know, he was coming from a very immature place. When you attack someone, you might want to try getting their name correct. My name is Yasmin, not Jasmin. So half the time I didnít know in his confessions, who the hell he was even talking to!

It didnít bother you at all?

Um, no. You know why? Because I have a saying that I live by: All lies die when the truth comes to light. It was not true so I didnít have to get upset nor did I have to rebuttal at Tribal council.

Do you agree with how he and the Foa Foa tribe felt about your presence in their camp?

You know what? Letís just say that I spent quality time with each and every last one of them, that was not shown on tv. So, it is what it is. What you saw was what people...what the network wanted you guys to see. But it was the total opposite. I went off with them for the immunity idol, which they found for forty minutes. If anybody was that much more offended by what I said, then how come every girl on the tribe let me braid their hair?

Good point, we didnít see that.

Exactly.

When you guys lost the immunity challenge, how come Foa Foa didnít get to send anybody over?

I have no idea! That was weird, huh? Iím just glad Ben was gone, because what if they would have sent him? I donít know!

How was your time with Ben after being voted out?

It was different. You know, again, Ben made other comments that he thought was funny, but again, youíre being insensitive and immature when you tell me ďShut your cotton-picking face!Ē Yeah, those are things that he said to me after the fact. But you know, I said I looked at Ben like a kid, and damaged goods. It is what it is. So I learned to just accept him for who he was, we had to make the best of the time, we sort of buried the hatchet but would I hang out with him? Hell no!

So nothingís been patched up, really? You donít want to call him up and have dinner with him?

Not at all! I mean, I donít have a problem with him but I donít think Iíd like a man of his magnitude, and energy around mine.

You spoke about how you didnít like the woods. Would you ever do this again?

Hell no. And I want you to print hell no! Actually, I wouldnít. I wouldnít.

Youíve said that Galu made a big mistake in booting you out instead of Monica. Do you still think that?

Yes and no. I think they made a big mistake as far as...it depends on what they were looking to achieve, but it was the best decision because I was so ready to go. So I could go either way with that. I felt like maybe they should have kept me around but they didnít, so better her than me, honey! Better her than me.

So your head just wasnít in the game any more?

Oh, honey, I checked out long before. I checked out long before. When I told Shambo I just donít want the energy and I feel like, just give my body a rest, that was basically me saying I can get the hell out of here and not think twice. And when Jeff put my torch out, did anybody notice the smile? [laughing]

Yes, I did. So you were happy to go?

Oh, very happy.

You had a chance to spend time with Foa Foa. Is there anybody on that tribe that you wish you could have worked with?

Yes, Marisa. I know she was after I left, and then I met her back at Ponderosa, but she was a wonderful woman. I think she was a great individual and human being. She possessed strongness, as myself, and she was quite outspoken, which you guys didnít actually see as well. So not only did we get along outside of the game, I think if we had been together it would have been totally different.

Who would you like to see win this game?

Shambo. Shambo or Natalie. Or Jaison. Iím cool with either.

Now who donít you want to see win?

Laura. [laughs] Can I tell you why? See, this is what people didnít know, that you didnít see. I like to call Laura a fake prophet, she mentioned how she was doing the whole Christian thing, she was sort of like an evangelist. But Laura would grab my hand before every challenge and pray. ďOoh, God, please keep Yasmin safe and strong.Ē Whatever, girl. If youíre going to pray that I stay safe and strong and help us win, but behind my back you want me to go, you should have been praying that I did work around camp. Or let me know that I should.

How did you feel about Russell as a leader?

You know what? I thought Russell was great. And then not only that, what a lot of people didnít see and didnít know, is me and Russell did have an alliance. And that it pained him yesterday to actually have me go instead of Monica. But thatís just the way that it is. I thought he did an excellent job, I thought that he did the best he could do, dealing with the circumstances heís put up against.

Did you have any idea about the ďevilĒ Russell burning socks and all that over at the other tribe?

No, and I just want to say, why the hell do they keep losing so many challenges? I see why, they were sabotaged! I had no idea, but I wasnít shocked.

I read another interview that mentioned you spending a lot of time with Brett. Are you surprised none of that was shown?

You know what? When I made other references to saying that my tribe was all over the place, thatís what I meant. A lot of those people were trying to steer clear of alliances. Me and Brett spent a lot of time together, but what I didnít know is that he already had alliances. So when he would be so nice to me and say ďHey Yasmin, you know, youíre a keeper!Ē To me, it was like the kiss of death because he actually meant ďWeíre voting you off.Ē

When you read the clue about the hidden idol on Foa Foa, did you ever think that there might be one on Galu? Did you look for it?

I didnít have a clue, I was totally clueless. I guess the time I spent napping is probably when I should have been looking because I had no idea.

Are you surprised Shambo didnít get any votes, or voted off?

[laughs] You know what? That is shocking, but what can I say? She was my ally, and I felt like if Iím going to go, then let her stay. And vice versa. So it all worked out for the better. I was shocked, but at least I was still extremely happy.

Were you surprised to see the other vote for Monica was Shambo and not Russell?

Um, kind of. Kind of. But you know, I wasnít too surprised because as the show went on yesterday and I started paying attention, I said oh my God, if Russell donít vote against me, theyíll vote against him. So I canít dog him, I can only commend him for stepping up and making sure he saved his own butt over mine. Because he would have been next on the chopping block.

Did you tell anyone at Galu about the idol clue when you got back?

I told Shambo. I totally mislead Eric and I didnít tell Dave. You know, from day one I spoke to Shambo about not trusting Eric, and then lo and behold, Eric says ďIím a con man!Ē So I kinda had that feeling but I told her my clue, so she gave him my clue and her clue, then he found the idol.

Did you know heíd found it while you were still out there?

Not at all! See, half the time when you watch the show you never saw me with them. Now that wasnít creative editing, I just was not around those people. I kinda did my own thing and was a team player when it came to the challenges, so I had no clue. Half the stuff that went on, I didnít know!

What have you seen on tv that surprised you the most?

It would have to have been Benís comments, because I felt like ďOk, heís the man, he could have said those things to my face.Ē But thatís because he still didnít have my name correctly, he couldnít. That surprised me the most, because, you know, my little famous saying ďfrom the hoods to the woodsĒ is far from the truth. I grew up in a two parent household. Iíve never had a drink a day in my life, so whatever ďhoodĒ I came from, I think more of me should come from there. Just so happens, Ben judged me for being African-American and being from Detroit. I never said ďHey, my name is Yasmin, Iím from the hood.Ē That was from a private confession and he didnít see that until it aired. But to cover his own butt, he decided to say ďShe said she was from the hood!Ē Whatever.

Other than Laura praying with you before challenges, what havenít we seen that would surprise us?

The fact that they said - great question, honey! - they said I didnít do enough work around camp? I am a trained masseuse. I gave Brett a whole body massage, people that were tired and hurt from challenges, I would rub their back. I was giving hand massages out, not to mention that I actually did a lot of people on my tribeís hair as well. So none of those things was ever shown, not to mention I was on Brettís shoulders for thirty minutes, cutting down leaves, and then I helped cut down two trees with a machete. But you never saw that! So again, I came off as lazy. I mean, I went from ghetto, trashy, to lazy, to primadonna to princess. Iím confused now!

Tell me about Shambo, she seems like sheís not real bright. Is she just different from everybody else?

Letís just say Shambo is Shambo. And I think she said, you know, in reference to her not being that bright, as one of her flaws. But you know, what I saw was an outspoken, kooky lady who I happen to have bonded with. She was a great ally of mine.

And what do you think of Dave? He seems like a funny guy.

He was funny but he was a snake. He was exactly what I expected. You know, he played two sides to the middle, and he did it very well, I must commend him. But it is what it is, and thatís what I saw.

Really? We havenít seen that on tv yet.

Well you know why? Because some of my things was creatively edited. But me and Dave went off the very first day, looking for things together and he was like ďOh, youíre so great, youíre so this...Ē Then itís ďYou do nothing!Ē But Iím helping him do things, and Iím carrying water. I mean, you know, when it comes to television they have to tell a story. Just so happens that I got caught up on the wrong side of it but Iíll take it for what itís worth.

How would you describe the rest of your tribe?

Fickle. And nonconsistent and all over the place. I canít stress that enough. You know, we went from voting off totally five different people to actually voting me off. You know, Johnís still with Galu, has anybody been paying attention? He sleeps a lot as well. But again, when your head is on the chopping block those are the things they point out. You know, after the first challenge, heís going home, he didnít swim right. Shambo lost a chicken, Shambo lost the fishing gear. Dave is weird. Monica hasnít stepped up. Yasmin is lazy. Give me a break!

What was the hardest part of the Survivor experience for you?

Walking around in those heels. Nah, just kidding. You know what. The outdoor life! Iíve never experienced it and I was a bit defeated. I thought I could handle it and actually I couldnít.

What was the easiest part?

The easiest part was the naps I took. [laughs] You know, that was another highlight of my time there. But just being around people, getting to know them, from different economical backgrounds and just trying to bond with people. I think that was the easiest part.

What was your proudest moment?

When we won the challenge, when I was jumping over those wooden teepee planks in my little undies, and we were able to get slamming. I think that was the happiest day of my life, outside of going home, that was probably first.

Were you happy with Russellís ďcomfort over functionĒ decision?

Oh, definitely. Remember, Iím a comfort girl! Thatís the whole thing, Princess Yasmin. Whatever! And you know, Jeff made a comment about ďI think sheís used to the softer way of life!Ē So I would be contradicting myself and lying if I said no. I actually liked the comfort over function.

Was there any fallout over that decision that we didnít get to see?

You know what, half the time when you look at the show, a lot of the times when they were together you never saw me with them. So things that they discussed, I had no clue, I was kinda doing my own thing if I wasnít with Shambo and she was doing her own thing. So I was always on the outs.

You had said before the show aired that you planned on keeping it neutral, yet you rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. What happened?

Good question. Did you mean neutral in my camp? Or in someone elseís? Because neutral to me meant in my camp. And I didnít ruffle any feathers in mine. You know, my thing was, even though I didnít do much around the camp, actually I did step up in the challenges. So I feel that I was being a team player. I didnít have to be worried about Foa Foa, that wasnít my tribe!

Why do you think Galu lost this particular challenge? Did they get complacent?

Yeah, and not only that, I think voting me out was a way of saying hey, weíve been sitting pretty, we have more numbers than they do, we can afford to lose a strong competitor and we can probably keep winning. So you know, whether or not they do that is a fact that remains to be seen. But again, sometimes you lose your momentum when you get too comfortable. I think we might have gotten comfortable.

So you think it might be a more even fight now?

Oh, definitely. Again, I donít think theyíll be doing anymore yoga.

Do you wish that you had done anything differently?

Definitely. The confrontation with Ben did not have to happen, and Iíll tell you why. Because personally, I walked away thinking to myself ďWow, this dude is ignorant.Ē As many things as he had to say about me, thatís what I picked up from him. All he had to do was say look, weíre not gonna see eye to eye on this, but he wanted to start attacking me so if I had anything to do different, all over again? First, I would not go on Survivor. Iím just kidding! But, I would not have confronted him because he just was not worth my time, he was not worth my energy, and it just didnít have to happen.

Were you pleased that Jaison sort of stood up for you and argued with them?

Absolutely, because I donít think anybody else would have spoken up. You know, everybody wanted to point the finger at me, so absolutely, I was extremely pleased. I think it was the right thing to do, but again, thatís just my opinion.

Have you kept in touch with anybody?

Yes, I keep in touch with Marisa. Sheís a really cool girl, and I keep in touch with Ashley. You know, see, so I could go on and on when people thought I didnít make or build relationships? Those relationships didnít start after the game.

One last question: were you upset with Kelly that you didnít get any coconut milk when she was working on it?

Creative editing. At the time, there was no coconut milk in there. Thatís all Iím gonna say. And I hate coconuts. Print that. Okay? [laughs]

*Thanks to Mariner for the interview!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Re: Survivor: Interview With Yasmin - "It is what it is."

ďShut your cotton-picking face!Ē

While Ben was most likely in the wrong again, for him to say that means she in his face again. You don't like someone just stay away.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

PWS
    FORT Fogey

No doubt she was, but why didn't he just say "Shut up!" Since his defense is aways "truth", does he really think someone from Detroit picks cotton? Geesh...

So she was wearing those shoes/boots the whole time? Why didn't I notice that during the challenges? Can anyone confirm that's what she had on? The only time I noticed them was at the last TC.

What the heck does she mean here?

"I went off with them for the immunity idol, which they found for forty minutes."

She told Foa Foa about the clue and they searched for 40 minutes? Huh?

Yasmin said in another interview that it was Jaison with whom she searched for the immunity idol--apparently he's the only one with whom she shared the info at FOA. As to the shoes, there are numerous shots of Yasmin wearing running shoes while at camp and in the challenges. She certainly wasn't wobbling around on those heels. Maybe she wore them when she was napping.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

To the Point

Well, she had one thing right...Ben was immature and ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3723729;
    What the heck does she mean here?

"I went off with them for the immunity idol, which they found for forty minutes."

She told Foa Foa about the clue and they searched for 40 minutes? Huh?
    I honestly didn't know what the heck she was talking about. She said several things that made me think "Huh?!"

I gave up trying to understand and just transcribed what she said.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I think she was talking about looking for the idol with Jaison. She's definitely not the clearest communicator.

Does anyone else think she gave something away about someone else who gets eliminated before the merge in the interview?
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3724377;
    Does anyone else think she gave something away about someone else who gets eliminated before the merge in the interview?
    yes
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

She mentioned a blond.

So she wasn't really in the game anyway.
    It's good she's gone early.

Ben might have been immature and ignorant, but I think Yas deserved a few hard words thrown at her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast