+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shannon Waters - Survivor Samoa

Re: Shannon Waters - Survivor Samoa

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3692270;

Jeff says she calls herself Shambo on the show (Shannon + Rambo? Or is that a Marine reference? Was Rambo an ex- Marine also?).
    Rambo was a Green Beret, which I believe is part of the Army's Special Forces.

I'm sure she's very skilled and more "at home" in the elements than most of the others. Her ability to adapt to her surroundings might be why he calls her that.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I like her a LOT. Smart, funny, down to earth AND an ex-Marine.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Not great that she's not bonding and splashing in the water with everyone else though...even if she thinks it is a dumb move to waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3693054;
    And what does everyone else call her? Seriously, anyone who invents a nickname for herself is likely to annoy the hell out of me!
    She said in a PI on the show Thursday that her buddies in the Marines gave her the nickname because they thought she looked like Rambo and wore a bandanna just like Rambo's. . .Obviously, she prefers to be called Shambo rather than Shannon, since that's the way she identified herself when they were casting their votes for tribal Chiefs.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Jeff had nothing but good words, for the most part, to say about her in his Survivor: Samoa blog, so you can tell already that she is going to be one of the more memorable people in recent years.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

I was sort of impressed with "Shambo" on the first episode. Until they were dealing with setting up their camp and Shambo was so impatient with anyone who wanted to think it through and plan before just plunging in and putting it together. I thought then, it's a good thing she wasn't chosen as leader. (You know what they say in carpentry: Measure twice, cut once.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3708725;
    I was sort of impressed with "Shambo" on the first episode. Until they were dealing with setting up their camp and Shambo was so impatient with anyone who wanted to think it through and plan before just plunging in and putting it together. I thought then, it's a good thing she wasn't chosen as leader. (You know what they say in carpentry: Measure twice, cut once.)
    I think I dislike her second most to Ben. To me she's trying or will be trying too hard to be the next Rupert, the fan favorite of her own season.

"Hey look at me, America. I'm not integrating with my tribe because I don't want to go into the water with them. Instead I want to build a shelter without thinking or planning it out, because building without thinking is totally not stupid, and then I will bitch about the rest of my tribe for being jackasses. I also have this cute little nickname that I made up that I know you will all love!! If I'm an outcast in this tribe, it's because my tribe pre-judges me and misunderstands my uniqueness and loveable-ness, but that's okay because I can get all of your sympathy now and hopefully win the fan favorite prize at the reunion!!."

Okay, so I totally exaggerated with her, but that's how I saw her come across in the first episode. I really don't get what's so appealing about her. She self-proclaimed to be stupid in the very beginning, then threw a fit for just wanting to build, build, build without any sort of planning. Then she puts down the "engineer" types who DO you want to think things out, because she apparently looks down on them since they just don't seem to get "it", and throws a fit and not go into the water with the rest of her tribe, which again is STUPID because she's just alienating herself more from her tribe.

I know I will be bashed for this post but whatever, I just can't stand this character type who to me seems to consciously try to get sympathy/fans (see: Denise, China).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I don't know that I would go so far as to say she is playing for sympathy votes, but I do think she is very much a "just do it" person, and can't see the value in extensive planning, taking a break before you finish, etc.
    Now the planner may have been going overboard, really wanting to micromanage, but I thought the points he brought up about drainage, etc., are all things they will appreciate later... if I was the planner I might have thought of "things we'll need for sure" like palm fronds for the roof, and sent the Shambo types off to gather them so I could plan in peace.

I think there is something to the theory that she was playing for the camera a bit early on. Many contestants in the past have said that they forgot about the cameras a few days in, so it will be interesting to see how she behaves going forward.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill;3709264;
    Many contestants in the past have said that they forgot about the cameras a few days in
    Many of those would have been before the $100,000 popularity contest of recent seasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast