+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Betsy Bolan - Survivor Samoa

Re: Betsy Bolan - Survivor Samoa

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3707638;
    Her hippie past? She was born in 1961, she was 9 when the 60's ended. And sober 21 years-thats 1988. Being wild in the 70's & 80's makes you a disco momma not a hippie
    True. My kids always used to ask me if I was a hippie when I was young. I told them that I wanted to be one, but my mom wouldn't let me! They never really got it though. I was in grade school in the 60's!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3707639;
    police are unionized ( good benifits), only way her husband is not covered is if she choose not to cover him to save money.
    She lives in what sounds like a pretty small town...may not have that big a police force...I suspect the benefits vary from town to town.

Re the hippie past... well, maybe she could squeeze in a couple of years as a young teen...kind of ran into the early 70's....

Looked up Campton on Google...found the official town site....pop of a little over 3000 and it has this to say about its police force:

Police Department
    A professional, fully staffed, full-time police department provides police protection with a full-time chief and four other full-time officers and a secretary. There are also two part time officers. The department is “committed to providing the highest quality of police services to the people who live, work and visit our Town … and to safeguard life and property, preserve the peace, prevent and detect crime, enforce the law, and protect the rights of all citizens.
    Last edited by PWS; 09-21-2009 at 03:46 PM.

right . . . . but most of the police agencies around here cover your fam at no cost to you.

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3707639;
    police are unionized ( good benifits), only way her husband is not covered is if she choose not to cover him to save money.

According to her bio she's 48 and realized her dream of becoming a cop at age 47, so even if she has coverage for her husband, he may not be covered because of a pre-existing condition clause in her policy. It doesn't say when he was diagnosed with cancer but he more than likely had been diagnosed before she became an officer and qualified for benefits.

ETA: I'm just guessing here. I don't know if any of it is true but it makes sense to me.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3707766;
    According to her bio she's 48 and realized her dream of becoming a cop at age 47, so even if she has coverage for her husband, he may not be covered because of a pre-existing condition clause in her policy. It doesn't say when he was diagnosed with cancer but he more than likely had been diagnosed before she became an officer and qualified for benefits.
    Good point, I tend to not look closely at bio's anymore--to many survivors & BB players who turned out to be nothing like their bio's. I feel you are most likely right, that he had cancer before she became a cop and got insurance.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And if so (preexist), hopefully not an issue for people in the future...

OK, back to Betsy and the game---I realize we are all pinning a lot of hopes on her to out Russell H(ate), but I really do fear that he has already spotted her as a danger.... Cue ominous shark music....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3707665;
    She lives in what sounds like a pretty small town...may not have that big a police force...I suspect the benefits vary from town to town.

Re the hippie past... well, maybe she could squeeze in a couple of years as a young teen...kind of ran into the early 70's....

Looked up Campton on Google...found the official town site....pop of a little over 3000 and it has this to say about its police force:

Police Department
    A professional, fully staffed, full-time police department provides police protection with a full-time chief and four other full-time officers and a secretary. There are also two part time officers. The department is “committed to providing the highest quality of police services to the people who live, work and visit our Town … and to safeguard life and property, preserve the peace, prevent and detect crime, enforce the law, and protect the rights of all citizens.

That is an exceedingly small force. It sounds like they just have one officer per shift.

And sometimes no officers at all on duty. Can be really boring for hours with brief moments of extreme danger.

Keeping focus under those conditions can be really hard work. We'll have to wait and see how good she is at staying focussed on the proximity of danger--IE Russel.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 09-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Betsy's eviction wasn't surprising, but it was disappointing. I always hate it when someone figures out who the snake is but doesn't rally anyone in the tribe around the cause. Instead they hope that everyone else will see the obvious move like they do. I think what they miss is that the others may or may not like Russ, but as long as he is pointing at someone else, it's all good. If you are on the outside, you have to proactively break that trance.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

New Hampshire ‘Survivor’ shares her story with fans

Some highlights:

Applied 13 times over six years before making it onto the show.

The contestants arrived a week before the game started and weren't allowed to communicate, for fear they would form alliances.

They received a rulebook and an "Outdoor Survival Guide" to read prior to the game.

Had a meeting with Probst and Producer Mark Burnett for a rundown of the rules and a "don't quit" pep talk.

The contestants then rode together on a canvas-covered truck, still without talking.

They silently canoed to shore, where Probst and "tons and tons of cameras" were waiting.

Each tribal council actually lasts about an hour an a half.

Bolan brought a map of her Foa Foa tribe camp and one of the "tree mails" the tribe received.

She passed around a canteen she brought home from the show, one of several that fellow Foa Foa tribe member "Evil Russell" dumped water out of in an attempt to rile his tribe mates.

Castaways were sent to a Ponderosa, where they ate good food and watched movies.

Once 10 people were voted off, that group was sent to Fiji so the next group of castaways who would make up the jury could stay at the Ponderosa.

She and her nine fellow Survivors stayed in five-star hotels in Fiji for five weeks.

Lost 10 pounds in 6 days.

The first person voted off gets $2,500.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

I loved it when she said, "Everytime you say my name Jeff, you make me sweat!"

I really liked her in her two-episode run. Her and Marisa (and later Ashley) were my early favorites, and it was such a shame to see them go so soon. It wasn't until the merge when I found new favorites in Natalie and Laura.

I would have liked to have seen what Betsy could have done if she got the chance to truly play the game. Suvivor: Second Chances, please!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123