+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why Rob can't win Survivor

I do not think that anyone really should have something very personal against Rob, everyone knows that he is backstabbing to play, he is not backstabbing because he hates a person. At final two, Rob could very well gather votes from people, because they respect his way of playing the game, I do not think they exactly hate him as a person (like people hate Jenna and Heidi). I would think that not helping out on the camp or being outright arrogant is a much worse sin than backstabbing. Backstabbing is expected afterall. And therefore Rob might not be the best choice (for Matt ) to take with him to F2, but Jenna is.

The best part of this game is that Rob started out like he would on the outside. A grovelling, horny kid who was awestruck by Jenna and Heidi. As the game grew on, he got to know them and not only did he get over those 'want to screw them' urges, he is the one discading THEM.

It must be very sweet for him. Just IMAGINE all the girls Rob will get after this show. Poetic justice.

A man with a sense of humour is very attractive..
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    A man with a sense of humour is very attractive..
    I certainly agree with you on that one!

i think that yeah, we got to see some of rob's personality when he was groveling about the women. as jiff said in interview, when you met rob, you knew he was the kid that always got picked last. and i think rob used that. i think he let us see that he was a wimp to make himself nonthreatening. this game was all about using his wits and nothing else. he has had a pretty successful game by just playing off the other people and acting according to how the others played. i have thoroughly enjoyed watching him from day 1. i so hope he wins!

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I think Rob has pissed off too many people to actually win if he is in the final 2, but his one-liners have been amusing. Like him or not, you've gotta admit he does come up with some funny statetments. He uses his wit to compensate for his lack of convential sex appeal. I think he's hilarious and I hate to see him get voted off!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I sometimes wonder if it's an act. All of that desperation seems a little far fetched to me. Besides so one would take him seriously with that kind of line.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Has anyone ever heard anymore about the mysterious candy bar that one of the girls snuck in? If I remember right, Janet was voted out because everyone thought she snuck it in. She said she didn't do it and darn it I still wonder who the sneak was.

Oh yeah, I hate Rob but he has played the best game and I hope he wins (guess I hope he wins because I hate Jenna more than Rob). Matt and Butch don't deserve to win. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Oceansands; 05-09-2003 at 08:05 PM.

the candy bar incident... sounds like you know as much as we do about it. i'm guessing that will be brought up again at the finale, but i also guess that no one will take the blame.

FORT Newbie
    Very long post, I apologize.

This is my first post on this site or any for that matter. I am a huge Survivor fan, and over time, I have come to notice something about these boards. I hate to spoil anyone's good time, but speculation as to who would win in various f2 pairings is an exercise in futility. So much of the decision is made based on the final questions. Probst even said so about this installment specifically.
    Even to try to figure out who would vote for whom would be pointless. Usually, the main struggle is whether or not people vote with their brain or their heart, whether they interpret "deserving" to win from a moral or a competitive standpoint, and it's really hard to say.
    For example, in S5, both Helen and Ted felt very very angry and betrayed by Brian's backstabbing and yet THEY BOTH voted for him to win, comprising half of the votes he needed on his way to a million bucks. I even remember why they said they voted for Brian. it was to show that they themselves had character to keep with their word! Unbelievable.

And although everyone talks about how Richard Hatch was brilliant for winning Survivor 1, let's face it, he won it 4-3 and only because Greg, a player who grew to hate the game because of what it brought out in people, decided to do away with all politics and had it come down to picking a number 1-10. It wasn't until after the game that the 3 who voted against him acknowledged that he played the game well. To be even more specific, Hatch used the most strategy, but the votes came down to likeability. Sean and Rudy were close to him, Susan hated Kelly, and the 3 ex-Pagongs hated Rich and liked Kelly.
    And because of a chance tie breaker vote, the game is modeled after him. Had Kelly been closer, we'd be complimenting HER on playing a brilliant game and saying that likeability, not strategy and manipulation is how to win Survivor. In this first Survivor, everyone voted with their heart and not with their brain. In other series it has been different.

One thing is for sure though. Except for the final voting for Ethan of 5-2 in Survivor 3, no season has had a dominating winner.
    In fact, most of the final votes haven't even been that strongly felt by those voting. In both S4 and S5, we saw winners chosen because they were the lesser of two evils. Except maybe for Sean's excited voting of Vecepia, half of the votes of the past two series have come out of a want of the other person NOT to win.
    With all of that being said (but I majorly digress, very sorry) it is not possible to accurately predict.
    I'm surprised that no one has yet to research final votes of past shows and how predictable they would have been with the knowledge of the show up to the last episode.
    I don't have the time but if anyone has the energy and time for such an endeavor, awesome.

I would like to share a few thoughts and hear reactions from you guys.

First of all, regarding Rob.
    Rob has talked about his strategy of cutting people off after he doesn't need them anymore, but that's not really true. More accurately, Rob has found himself in situations where he was FORCED to stab someone in the back due to the circumstances.
    Roger's idea of it being all guys was never in Rob's agenda except maybe in the beginning when the scenario of one gender dominating was toyed with ideally by all 16 contestants. By the merge, everyone wanted Roger gone, not just Rob.

The next week, everyone voted Dave off because they saw him as a threat. Not a backstabbing move by Rob.

The next week, Deena's own big mouth did her in. It was not Rob's idea to vote her off, it was Alex's. It was the majority of the other 3 that forced him to make the choice. He even looked pretty remorseful after that vote.

The next week when Alex left, again Rob was forced to take action when he realized that if he went with the 3 yunguns that he would be playing for 3rd place.

The next week, Christy's last minute indecisiveness scared EVERYONE into voting her off. Not a backstabbing move by Rob. Christy isolated herself from her alliance when she made it public knowledge that she was wavering.
    Rob has not performed one self-initiated backstab. Every 3 days, another player has thrown a wrench into the game that becomes their own demise, be it Christy's indecisiveness, Alex's strategy openness, or Deena's last minute strategy change. He has conformed to every situation.
    He hasn't created trouble when it wasn't called for. Last night, he kept with his voting bloc and got rid of Heidi.
    No wrench thrown in, no unnecessary action called for.

Butch has not backstabbed anyone and has made it clear that he's voting with his bloc. Matt has said to the camera about his promises to both Butch and Matt for F2, so I think he'll vote for Jenna too. I just don't see Jenna making it to the final 3 unless she wins immunity. And I just don't think she will. She is not in a good place physically or mentally and was even crying that she wasn't voted off last time. She has no fight left in her and wants to go. I mean, the woman has a 1 in 4 shot at a million bucks and she was crying! She's gone.

With the final 3, it'll be determined by who wins the final challenge. It seems like Butch won't win it, though, because it'll be the endurance challenge and one would think that Rob's will to win or Matt's physical ability would win out. Of course, can't be ruled out. Who would've thought that Kim would've beaten Lex and Ethan in that challenge? Of course, Ethan got sick and Lex had diarrhea.
    Still, I don't see him taking it.

If Rob wins, my gut tells me that he takes Matt, again with my theory that Rob only backstabs to get to the next level. If Matt wins, could go either way, but my gut tells me he'll take Rob. Matt just doesn't seem like the backstabbing kind, and it would be more of a backstab to vote off Rob than Butch.
    If Butch wins, it's probably leaning toward Matt because of their promise to the final 2.
    IMHO, I'd say we have about an 75% chance of a Rob/Matt final 2. More specifically, an 80% chance of Matt in the final 2, an 80% chance of Rob in the final 2, and about a 30% chance of Butch being in the final 2. That's with the assumed F3. With the variable of Jenna still in the final 4 and randomness always playing a role (who knows, maybe the challenge will be another lame puck sliding thing ) then I give Jenna about a 5% chance of being in the final 2.

I am personally rooting for Rob. Have been since episode 1. For a couple reasons. First, because he is playing the game very similarly to how I would play it and it's like I'm able to see how my strategy would play out. The only difference is that I wouldn't been so open about my strategy. Could do him in.
    Other reason why I would want him to win is that it is important for Survivor at this point to have a winner with an entertaining and outgoing personality.
    Minus Rich, no Survivor winners have been remotely outlandish characters.
    I'm not even referring to the way they all flew under the radar. Tina, Ethan, Vecepia, and Brian have just not been very interesting. It has made for a model that someone with an outgoing personality cannot win, and I think that Rob can change that. What makes Survivor entertaining is its interesting people, and in the past few installments, the audience has been left with a who cares feel because of the endings. Survivor 4 could've been fantastic with all of those memorable people, but with a crappy final 2, it was a big let down. Most people wanted a final 2 with Kathy or even Sean because they had outgoing and entertaining personalities, and we had grown to know them because of their deep story arcs.
    Probst even said of this series that it is one of the best because you've got a babe, a funny man and huge strategist, a sweet old guy, and a crazy dude for your final 4.
    Awesome. Hope Rob wins. Go Rob.

I have some questions about spoliers.

1. What is the spoiler about Matt and Jenna as the final 2?

2. What is the gambler thing I have been hearing about?

3. I read something about Christy giving something away in some interview but it did not say what. Could someone fill me in?

Sorry again for the very long post. I look forward to your comments and answers to my questions.

FORT Fogey

You needed to let it all out!

Give me a few days to get through your post and I might venture an opinion. Actually, quite a bit of what you have speculated upon has already been mentioned by other posters.

In any case, welcome to the FORT shappy!

I'm sure there are a few people that have some answers or at least very good guesses.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast