+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: The MOST EXCITING post-show discussion thread ever! *Spoilers*

I agree with the comments about Butch.
    I don't think he has a handle on the game at all.
    He seems a little bemused by it all at times.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Mind over matter for Matt. I like it, Bumpkin!

Welcome to the FORT, BTW! You, too, TH3!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Newbie

Matt - the cross-cultural angle

After reading the posts from cake4usg and Bumpkin I just had to register and put in my comments as well. Since I've been out of the US for most of this season, it's been hard to dig in and argue the logistics of the game and how it's going.

And a special thanks to the FORT for keeping me up to date - hopefully I'll be able to watch a few episodes on tape when I return in late May.

But I do want to address this "Matt is such an idiot, I've got him where i want him" mentality by Rob. As cake4usg and Bumpkin have notes, they think that Matt's pretty good at hiding his emotions. There is no doubt he IS a quiet, relective type who focuses on the task at hand.

But we know much more about his abilities to "blend into the woodwork" and to try to figure out what's going on from his bio! He's studied cooking in France (1 or 2 years??) and lived in Taiwan while he was learning Chinese. I believe he also lived in another country while he was growing up (discounting being born in Hing Kong).

There is probably no better training for "survival strategies" than when an adult spends expented time in antoher culture - you know, that as the foreigner in the situation, you are pretty clueless about almost EVERYTHING that is going on around you, and you often have the disadvantage of not knowing the language. So you are treated a full grown idiot, if you don't develop strategies to cope with this overload of information. As a tourist it doesn't matter that much, but when you live there it's a different story.

Now Matt has put himself in these situations time and time again - the reality is that he not only thrives in these environments, but over time they've become part of his subconscious behaviours. I'll bet he doesn't have to expend a lot of mental energy on it, just go into his "I'm the outsider here, so I'll lay low and watch" routine.

My wife (not from North America) is constantly laughing at my "strategies' (her words) for surviving now that we are living in a country foreign to both of us - she speaks the language, but is constantly surpised at how I adapt (this is the 6th country I've lived in at least a year). The trick is to WATCH and constantly redefine my perceptions of what is going on and why. Often I am wrong, but that's why my brain is processing information like crazy during the most mundane of tasks. It's become second nature to me, and the other "natives" around the table would have no clue that I'm doing it (since they don't need to, as they are perfectly comfortable and familiar with these same interactions that throw me for a curve).

This is what Bumpkin was talking about - I also jumped when I saw an earlier post that his Mom told him to loosen up, as that was the clue that he wasn't acting like "normal". I"m sure Bumpkin was entirely right.

And lets not forget that it doesn't take that much Zen to focus on the game - when the 2 - 3 person camera operator / sound engineer / assistant crew walk up to you and stick a $50,000 camera in your face (even if it happens 20 times a day), you remember why you are in the Amazon, and that you can't trust anyone.

Welcome, hosehead! Great observations.

Originally posted by Bumpkin
    And as much as Matt enjoyed having his mom there, he resisted the temptation to break out of Survivor Mode for their time together. He may have even given up the reward for similar reasons.

Show no weakness ....
    Yep! I totally agree with what you said. Matt's mentality is on the game, and he wants to keep from letting his emotions show because he might seem vulnerable to the others. That would also disrupt his "Survivor Mode" as you put it.

Re: Matt - the cross-cultural angle

I agree -- great observations horsehead!

There is probably no better training for "survival strategies" than when an adult spends expented time in antoher culture - (snip)

The trick is to WATCH and constantly redefine my perceptions of what is going on and why. Often I am wrong, but that's why my brain is processing information like crazy during the most mundane of tasks. It's become second nature to me[/B]
    Exactly - under water Matt is paddling like mad, but on the surface he seems to be floating smoothly along.

Maybe somewhere between day 1 and day 10 I would have supposed that Matt was clueless. By now, I think he has adapted much better (much quicker) than the others and has a firm grasp on the personalities involved.

He's in the zone. And even if he is not, I can easily see him making an immunity run from here on out.

Welcome hosehead, extremely interesting post.

I agree with Bumpkin, he does appear to be "in the zone".
    He's been playing "catch up" throughout the whole game, he's never really been in a power position and he's learned to adapt to that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Re: Rockin' Rob

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    Well, it sure wasn't in his Speedos.

FORT Regular
    Hosehead: Welcome!! Great Observation. people living in new environments do tend to get their guard up. I believe that Mathew is doing exactly that. His first alliance (Ryan and Daniel) crumbled so quickly that it shocked him into defence mode. I guess this is the best way to go. I hope he wins the million...he 'll be the greatest winner in Survivor's history if he does.

+ Reply to Thread