+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Coach "for real"?

Is Coach "for real"?

Informal poll.

The gist of this question is NOT to determine whether or not Coach is a liar. Of course he is. What I'd like to gauge is how many people think he's sincerely and actually the delusional idiot we see presented on the show.

Yes, he's definitely a real person, who had a real life outside this show, that's been somewhat documented by now. He's not "an actor". But is he, in fact, a guy PLAYING dumb--VERY dumb--to get famous? Or is his apparent extreme level of delusion completely legit, wholly sincere?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Re: Is Coach "for real"?

I do not believe he is playing dumb; I don't think he is smart, at this game anyway. I see an excentric, self absorbed man who is choosing to ramp up his personality for some misguided reason that is impossible to know. I don't think he goes around being a dragon slayer in real life but I do believe many who know him think he is a jackass.

Straight out of the gate he aimed to allienate Sierra and Erinn, a foolish strategy move. He continues to demonstrate no knowledge of the social aspect of this game OR a realistic strategy. He cannot win but doesn't see that. We have not seen any diary talks that would indicate he is playing a role of any kind or showing insight to what is going on in the game.

I believe he is that he is looking for some kind of fame. I didn't go to his website but read posts by people who did. Who has a website dedicated to nothing but "look at me" other than someone seeking recognition of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3442498;
    Informal poll.

Or is his apparent extreme level of delusion completely legit, wholly sincere?
    I think Coach is completely sincere in his delusion. Why? Because I knew a guy like this for many years. Except his fantasy/delusions revolved around a softball team and wizards. It sound bizarre but to this day, 30 years later he still natters on about these topics and has never progressed beyond his 18 yo self. He also thinks that he is charming, handsome and very intelligent.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I agree with the other posters - that he truly believes what he's saying. Another reason I see as proof is his reaction/defensiveness when Jeff or anyone else tries to call him out. His reaction to Sierra when she made fun of him doing his version of tai-chi.

I agree with the other posters ~ the dude is clearly delusional & has no idea how ridiculous he really is.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle;3442597;
    I agree with the other posters - that he truly believes what he's saying. Another reason I see as proof is his reaction/defensiveness when Jeff or anyone else tries to call him out. His reaction to Sierra when she made fun of him doing his version of tai-chi.
    IF this guy is for real then shoot me now!...he is such a "full of bull person" that it is too easy to make fun of him. The sad part, as stated above, is that HE beleives everything that spews from his mouth. The scenes between he and his "coach" friend were to weird. Why did everyone else have someone from home such as a spouse, or sibling? Coach could only have ....another coach.....someone who he can amaze and bedazzle with all his "experience" and "knowledge".......the guy is too much give him the boot already!

ETA: I could have never been on the island with him, I would have knocked him out with a rock first time he slept! (Although taking him to the end ~if you can get past his presence~ could be a good thing...I can't believe there is ONE person who likes the guy on the jury!)

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3442498;
    Informal poll.

The gist of this question is NOT to determine whether or not Coach is a liar. Of course he is. What I'd like to gauge is how many people think he's sincerely and actually the delusional idiot we see presented on the show.

Yes, he's definitely a real person, who had a real life outside this show, that's been somewhat documented by now. He's not "an actor". But is he, in fact, a guy PLAYING dumb--VERY dumb--to get famous? Or is his apparent extreme level of delusion completely legit, wholly sincere?
    He's just acutely narcissist, I have a friend who is a psychologist who treat people like him. It's really quite debilitating which could have dire effects in every aspect of their lives.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I've often asked myself can someone truly be this full of themselves and I could only come to one conclusion. He's just crazy. No pretty terms for it...just plain old kook-a-damn-doo. Can't get him off my screen fast enough, although I'm sure that when he's voted off it will be because noone could beat him in the end, so it was all done out of respect. He's just a "glass is half full" kind of guy if that glass can point in any way to something that makes him look like Mr. Wonderful. Honestly, as the others have said, he's a narcissist, and I truly do feel sorry for him during fleeting moments.

IMHO: Yes, Coach is truly a Legend.....In HIS own mind!

One thing I will admit to, & why I think Jeff Probst loves his character so much, He definitely gives ppl something to talk about. They look for THE ONE each season that ppl will love to hate. But isn't it funny how those usually stay in the game awhile? Because, I think the other players figure as long as all eyes are on someone else it keeps them out of the spot light a bit.

Yes, Randy was our character last season. Coach this season.

I wonder how he got past the pre show psych screening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast