Leo
    Premium Member
    Fantastic work.

JR.
    Perfect

FORT Fogey

Me and my uncontrollable urges!

Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    I'm going to see if I can edit to correct it. Just so everyone knows, CaliGirl isn't delusional . . . I'm editing it.
    Nooooooooo, leave it, otherwise you make me look bad.

Damn this OCD!

Still think this is one of the finest threads yet. Brilliantly executed!

FORT Fogey
    Hey, Lurkin...maybe Colby kept winning the challenges because he didn't really get how to play the game, it was only the 2nd season. Maybe he thought he should just win all those challenges because he had to be safe, instead of thinking that making himself "weaker" would appeal more to the rest of the people. That's just a thought. After 6 seasons, we get how to play it so much better than they did.

LG.
    Good point, Lil_Cutie, as we are all now more experienced students of the game. However I am continually surprised as the seasons go on how many contestants haven't really watched prior seasons before going on the show. Too busy hanging out at Bellys maybe.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Great job, everyone who contributed to this! Hit the nail on the head, x 7.

FORT Fan
    Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    I agree Lil_Cutie, and the fact that Colby never really caught on that it might not be in his best interest to keep winning all the challenges really stuck out in my mind.
    Didn't JP once allude to an incident where Colby spoke to him about the possibility of "throwing" a challenge? If so, then Colby perhaps had an inkling that being a challenge hog may not work to his benefit in the long run. He struck me as much too competitive to intentionally lose a challenge (especially an immunity challenge).

At this point in the game, the two different types of challenges run hand-in-hand. Reward challenges typically offer something to rejuvinate the winner; good food, better sleeping arrangements, massages, letters/videos from home etc. Winning a reward challenge, therefore, will make a contestant stronger (mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually). Then, when the immunity challenge comes up, that survivor may be in a better position to win immunity as well.

We have seen this "snowball" effect at least twice; in "Survivor: Borneo" with Kelly Wigglesworth and in "Survivor: The Australian Outback" with Colby Donaldson. (Although I admit it is impossible to always attribute good performance in challenges from good performance in past ones, I do believe it helps). Interestingly enough, both Kelly and Colby ended up losing the big prize after making the final two.

As stated numerous times on other message threads, more often than not juries tend to penalize players for doing whatever it takes to get to the final two. For Kelly and Colby, I truly feel if the juries were to look at it logically, it would have been difficult to not vote for them to win the $1 million prize by virtue of the fact that they won so many critical immunity challenges.

To me, the game of Survivor should be about giving the money to the person who deserves it most, not the person who lied the least.

Bottom line: If you intentionally throw a challenge, you are potentially throwing away an opportunity to become stronger or further yourself in the game. I think this is the conclusion that Colby eventually came to.

Last edited by tmcrae; 04-28-2003 at 05:17 PM.

LG.
    But did he need to knock out Elisabeth when he KNEW that Tina, Keith were with him to take out Elisabeth or Roger? Elisabeth voted against Colby, and that was the margin of victory for Tina.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

As I've said before, I think it's impossible to fathom which of your actions will carry the day in a jury situation. You're right, LG, that Colby wasn't required to win the IC against Elisabeth, but it wouldn't have been clear at the time that such an action would cost him the game.

Colby should have lost at least one Challenge (and possibly two) down the stretch. Would've been interesting to see how that would have changed the game. The carabiners Challenge, in particular, would have sent Amber out of camp for the big flood. She might have been more engaged mentally after a nice meal and rest at Cowboy Camp. Would she have seen the light at that point and aligned with Rodger and Elisabeth? Who knows?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12