+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survivor: Gabon, 10/16 recap: Where I Come From, That's Called "Quitting"

Survivor: Gabon, 10/16 recap: Where I Come From, That's Called "Quitting"

Welcome back to Survivor: Gabon. Last week, a surprise tribe switch drove some people to apparently lose their minds, as former Fang people chose to boot the actually useful Jacquie and keep the utterly useless Kelly – a move that benefited only gawky Ken, who likes her for her “hotness”. Even Probst says they acted “as if they had a death wish.”

Elephant Whisperers

At Fang that night, Ace makes rice expecting Sugar’s arrival and her having starved for three days. He tells us he’s “sitting a little high and dry” without Jacquie. He hopes now he and Sugar will be able to pull something off. He calls the idol one of Sugar’s “biggest plusses” and says he has her “in my pocket.” I actually like Sugar, but she’d have better luck surviving laying down in front of a stampeding elephant than she does trusting smarmy Ace.

Sugar’s glad to be back with Ace, but had assumed Kelly, not Jacquie, would survive. She tells them she spent her time with comfort, because she gave up on the idol the first time. Crystal doesn’t believe her, and thinks she has the idol. “I’ve got to get rid of her,” Crystal says.

At Kota the next morning, they’ve caught fish or something, to general delight, including an “electric fish.” I’m not sure how it’s electrified, but they mean it – they touch it and get shocked. I’m surprised Bob doesn’t come up with some way to use this to rig the camp with electric lights.

Randy tells us the new Kota tribe is wonderful – fish, beans, corn, way better than Fang, so he has no complaints. He believes they’ve been welcomed, but he knows old Kota would vote old Fang members out first. He plans to adapt as best he can.

Back at Fang, noises in the trees indicate a visitor – an elephant, Matty discovers, and runs back to get the tribe. The elephant is across a pond from them, braying and eating as they stare. Some think it’s cool; others seem a little more nervous. Nervous might win out a bit when the elephant knocks over a sapling and swings its trunk around. But stupid wins, when Matty and Ace decide to take the kayak over to the other side. Matty tells us they hear elephants all day, but they never see them, until now. “It’s magnificent,” he says.

GC, back on the bank, murmurs that they should leave the elephant alone, and someone says that’s how people get hurt. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is reminded of the idiots who try to take pictures with wild bears. And I’m also probably not the only one saddened when the elephant doesn’t take the opportunity to kick Ace. Matty says seeing it make him step out of the game for a second, and it makes you appreciate life and pure things. Hopefully it also makes him appreciate that a large, live, wild elephant is not to be kayaked around like a poodle.

I Reward Thee With Dill

But elephant-ogling can’t last forever. They go to reward challenge, where the old Kota members are shocked that Jacquie was voted out.

Today, they’ll each have a large pile of fruit, and toss it to members of their tribe through holes, while someone from the other tribe tries to whack it out of the air with a stick. Jeff says their tastebuds are screaming for something new, and presents their reward: an herb garden. The starving competitors look visibly disappointed, which isn’t surprising, as I’d bet they were expecting cheeseburgers or the like. Although it’s a good reward, really – there’s lettuce and stuff in there, and herbs are awesome. You just can’t eat them alone.

The challenge is a bit pell-mell, as they’re throwing fruit almost too small for me to see. Fang does well early, though, as Ace keeps knocking stuff out of the air for Kota. But Kota starts learning to throw two pieces of fruit at once, forcing the person with the stick to choose one while the other goes through. Ace gets hit in the face with a pineapple.

Finally Jeff calls time and weighs the fruit. Fang has 16 pounds. Kota comes in at 18 pounds, winning reward. They choose to send Sugar back to immunity, saying they do it for comedy. She babbles some more about her “Sugar Shack.” Dan says if she finds the idol, she’ll have to play it before the merge, they think, so it’s strategy to send her again.

GC Is, Like, A Whiny Idiot, Dude

Kota returns to camp loaded with herbs and veggies. Charlie says the rich are getting richer at Kota. Dan makes some speech about keeping numbers and sticking together once the merge comes. Marcus publicly says everyone’s on the same page, but tells us Dan’s problem is he’s so eager to express his undying devotion to the new Kota tribe that no one believes it. Susie’s so quiet it makes you think she’s not as onboard, and he does not have the confidence that when they get to the merge, these people have his back. They’re dividing food as Randy swims, and he tells them to go ahead. He hopes they’ll continue to win challenges, and not rock the boat, and he’ll be “Kota yellow to the end.”

On Exile, Sugar’s back in the shack of fruit. Everyone else is starving and tired and stinky, and she’s got her own lake and fruit and comfort. And idol. “I’m definitely happy, and fat,” she says.

At Fang, they share sorry, dry, flavorless rice. GC whines about how little there is, and Crystal tells him to just eat it. He once AGAIN gets defensive, and says playing with him won’t be too funny for too long. He tells us that this game is way tougher than expected, as is living with these people day in and day out. “It’s hard and I do question, what am I doing,” he says. Seems to me what he’s doing is whining a lot.

Ace is delighted to see the other side is cracking at the edges. The argument was awesome and these people are going to implode. Finally, he says, something’s going to happen. GC tells us he needs to get back to real life, because the game is changing him, and not for the better.

Then treemail arrives with a clue about the next challenge. Matty thinks their chances of winning are slim. They’re all falling apart, “it’s a bunch of insanity.”

So GC goes and gets in the kayak and paddles off. At some point the others notice he’s gone, and also realize that they kind of need to leave for the challenge, soon. “Maybe he got eaten by, like, a monkey, dude,” Kelly says, managing to display both poor language skills and a misunderstanding of monkey incisors at the same time.

Kenny says, in an understatement, that GC “doesn’t like being told what to do.”

Crystal is fed up with him, he throws these tantrums. “I’m getting fed up with the tantrums from a grown adult,” she says, hitting the nail on the head.

Eventually, however, he paddles back. Kelly tells him they’d have left with out him, and he says that would be fine with him. Oh, wah, GC, grow up.

Sugar Apparently Tries Telepathy

So they all go to the challenge, and Sugar comes back. Jeff explains one member of each tribe will throw a ball down a cliff, over some obstacles, while a blindfolded member of the other tribe will try to block it with a shield. You’re aiming to get it in a goal, which vary according to points.

This sounds impossible, but there is a “caller” who will presumably talk the defenders – Randy and Ace—through the job. On the first round, neither defender gets anywhere near, and Kota gets a 2-point score and Fang gets 5.

Dan manages to stop a ball, but one gets right by Ace. He lectures at Sugar, his caller, that she has to see him, has to talk more and describe what’s going on more. But it’s useless, she seems to freeze up while Ace is 10 feet from the ball every time. She’d be horrible at calling square dances, people would collide all over the floor. Dan stops his own ball, Fang gets two more points. Again, Kota’s ball slips by Ace and Fang scores. He took a shield to the face, though, he says, and rolls on the ground.

Fang has 7, Kota 6, one roll left. Dan stops Fang, and Randy yells at Ace to freeze, which he does, while Sugar shrugs, and Kota wins immunity. Ace is clearly pissed.

Quitty McQuittypants

GC also continues to be downhearted. Matty says the camp is cursed. GC tells him he feels like he’s doing and saying things that aren’t him, because of the game. He says he’s ready to leave the game. Matty says he’ll regret it.

“You ask to leave this game, man, people pounce on that,” Matty tells us. And he does, going to tell Crystal GC wants to quit. She says she doesn’t want to hear it. Ace smirks. Crystal has no intention of asking GC to stay. She says he quit as leader, he quit at challenges, so he’s a loser, and she has no respect for anyone who quits like that.

Kenny tells Kelly to write down GC. Ace tells Sugar. He hopes the others will destroy themselves. They talk about the idol – Sugar says it’s in her bag, but it’s ok, nobody knows she has it. Meanwhile, back in the shed, they discuss what happens if Sugar does have the immunity idol. Crystal rifles through her bag, and finds it. They say they knew she had it, that’s why she’s so confident. And tonight’s the only night to blindside her. It makes her the most dangerous person in the game. But still, no one likes GC.

This Sure Ain’t No Micronesia Blindside

At tribal that night, Jeff asks about their wear and tear. Ace says he sees it, when people are running out of belt loops. GC says it’s definitely hard, not eating. You start to think about what’s more important, staying out and starving and dealing with personalities and losing. And then you think about how you’d love to be with family and friends and how you take it for granted.

Sugar says it’s weird turning on people and nobody likes that, and it’s hard on your psyche and she’s crying. Matty says there’s no quitting. You can’t give yourself that option.

Jeff says Sugar has spent more time on Exile that in either camp. How concerned is she about that? She says she feels it could be her just as easily.

Sugar says no one really asked her if she had the idol. It doesn’t strike her as odd, though, since you’re allowed to go through people’s bags. She doesn’t know if hers has been gone through. Crystal is clearly smirking, and says it’s crazy to leave your bag out. Jeff asks if Sugar really doesn’t care, and she says maybe there’s a power in people knowing you have it. That was such a lame conversation I’m not even sure she’d have outed herself had they not actually been through her bag already.

They vote, and Sugar doesn’t play the idol, so it would indeed have been a great time to blindside her.

But they didn’t. Stupids.

GC gets all the votes, except his own vote for Kelly, and is out. He tells us people can “call it what you want” about his quitting, but that he didn’t agree with the backstabbing and lying, and he respects anyone who goes on the game. Pffft, whatever.

Next time:
    Ace is looking for an alliance, and while he initially doesn’t know who would be his potential “Benedict Arnold,” he appears to choose Matty, who makes a pact with him. And it looks like Ace has talked stupid Sugar into giving him the idol. Dumb, girl.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Re: Survivor: Gabon, 10/16 recap: Where I Come From, That's Called "Quitting"

Great recap Lucy! This made me laugh out loud:

At Kota the next morning, they’ve caught fish or something, to general delight, including an “electric fish.” I’m not sure how it’s electrified, but they mean it – they touch it and get shocked. I’m surprised Bob doesn’t come up with some way to use this to rig the camp with electric lights.

“Maybe he got eaten by, like, a monkey, dude,” Kelly says, managing to display both poor language skills and a misunderstanding of monkey incisors at the same time.
    Hee! Super recap, Lucy.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Great post and I think you were kind to GC considering what he created for himself.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

You really captured the way GC was portrayed---really highlights the contrast between his edit and his interview.
    Good one about the electric fish----I got that Gilligan's Island and the professor vibe, too!

FORT Fogey

Lucy--thanks for making some sense--and hilarity--out of that mess of an ep.

+ Reply to Thread