+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survivor II rant

Survivor II rant

I'm sitting here watching Survivor II with my kids. They're about to kick off Nick, and I'm just seething with frustration. Amber just outlined a strategy she could have used to boot Tina, Colby, and Keith, but she wondered how she could 100% trust the Kucha to do what they say. Hm, let's see? Because THEY would be next to be eliminated? And, as she said herself, she can't even trust the rest of Ogakor because they never told her when they decided to eliminate Jerri! She says, "I have to just play the game." But, obviously, she never did. What an idiot. The fact that they didn't come together even AFTER Nick was booted is even more stupefying. I guess Amber was scared off by the inane votes sent her way by Rodger and Elisabeth. Why on earth did they do that?!?

I can't believe that show was populated with so many poor players.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    No kidding Paulie!

I wish I had the full season 1 still on tape. I'd love to take that out and watch some of my all-time faves!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

It is so fun to watch these old series on tape, Bravo. I'm very happy to have every episode of Survivor available at my fingertips.

Wish I could say the same for the great show in your marvelous new av. I foolishly taped over most of them.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Okay, I know...we'll meet half way (that would be maybe Indiana?). You bring Survivor, I'll bring CM!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

SuperJude™
    Trying to download those eps now, but man what a frustrating season that was! The Michael incident really changed the game, but even at the end Colby seemed to forget that the million is 10 times more than the hunder thousand.

They all did vote tribal lines after the merge at least, unlike the idiots in Pagong in season 1 all still voting for eachother while The Alliance picked them off.

I was a bit frustrated by season 2 to tell the truth. I thought the players were weak, and the endgame wasn't all that cool. Could they have had any more boring of a last episode?

Grrrr!

-SJ™

Agreed, SJ. Michael's swan dive robbed us of an outstanding endgame. They just didn't have enough good players in the game, and Colby/Tina were shrewd enough to eliminate the good ones first. By the time, F6 rolled around, Rodger/Elisabeth/Amber had no clue that they could easily have unraveled the Big Three by directing all their votes at either Keith or Colby, depending on which one won Immunity (in this case, it was Colby).

Perhaps if the producers had noticed Colby cheating in the zip line Reward Challenge (both carabiners briefly detached at the same time), Amber would have had her head in the game a little better. She really seemed like she mentally checked out after the flood. If she'd been at the Rancher's Camp sleeping comfortably and eating well, it's possible she could have seen the path to victory.

Then again, she probably believed everything Colby/Tina told her about being a member of the Final Three, just as Ted/Helen/Jan did in S5. History repeated itself there.

SuperJude™
    Okay I just downloaded season 2 episode 2, the infamous "Kel" episode. It starts with the Kucha tribe bitching about Michael making mushy rice, and you could see that season 2 Survivor contestants were weak and looking for excuses.

The Michael says he is perceived as a leader and won't play that roll, that he will just catch fish and if the others just once felt full, it would further him to the merger.

Then the gross out food challenge he just whups up, being the only Kucha to go twice. That man made sense, and still I say he would have won Survivor 2 had the fire incident not occuered.

Now the Ogakor? Colby is the man, he should have won plain and simple. Other than that I didn't really like anybody else in the tribe in the least. I found Tina to be boring as hell.

Then I watched episode 13 and was struck by how starved and emotionally wrecked those people were compared to later seasons well fed members. They go to that Survivor Internet Cafe thing and people just melted into tears and watching them it is apparent they were all really hungry.

That was cool to see, since I forgot how much things sucked for the people that season. Only thing is the guy who should have won burned his face, the guy who THEN should have won screwed up, putting some "alliance" before $900,000. Colby, you just met the woman, you owe her nothing. I thought it when I first saw that season and I think it now.

Also, what a whiny bitchy group of people they were that season, man! But Kimmi with the breakdown about the gross food? At least bitchy people have breakdowns on t.v. I guess....

-SJ™

I agree with you 100%, SJ. Michael's strategy was refreshing and wonderful. Forget flying under the radar. The man was nervous when people weren't talking about him. Unfortunately, that proved to be his downfall. He did too much around camp, culminating in that dizzy dive into the fire.

Colby, meanwhile, was certainly deserving of the million after Michael was gone. That petty witch Jerri took the money away from him for personal reasons. I know that's part of the game, and Colby didn't do enough to cultivate that particular relationship, but it still steams me that he didn't win.

They really were emotionally and physically spent by the end. Remember that Australia was the last series where they extended the show to 42 days. I think they learned from some mistakes in that series and also in Africa. The players in the most recent three series have been able to focus a bit on gameplay and strategy and not SO much on straight survival.

+ Reply to Thread