+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Teacher Defends Her Survivor Stripping

Originally posted by Jill
    I have turned a blind eye to the idea that my parents EVER had sex.

Princess
    It doesn't bother me that she stripped as her ranting about being young and cute did. If I were a parent at her school I would be very troubled of what kind of ideas one of my kids teachers were giving to them. Whether you want it or not, the kids teachers will be some of the people who influences my child about what's right and what's wrong, and what the society expects from them.
    I think the concern to me is less what she've done on TV so far as what I think she'll teach her kids in school (given what she has said) since she's a PE teacher. (If she was any other kind of teacher I would be less bothered.)

Re: Teachers and Ethics

Originally posted by aileen_22
    Let me tell you. I'm in a teacher education program right now, and we're being indoctrinated with the code of ethics that teachers are obligated to live by, whether you're on summer vacation, or on a reality tv show, and simply put, at least in Canada, what Heidi did was unethical. Under no circumstances should she have put herself in that kind of position, especially on national tv. I guarantee that there will be reprecautions when she returned to her job after the show hit the air.
    I'm not a teacher, but I have friends back in England who are.
    I was emailing back and forth with them and they all said that they know their jobs would be in jeopardy if they'd done what she did.

There are some jobs where like it or not your conduct is important.

I personally feel she has no intension of going back to teaching anyway.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Why would she go back to teaching when she can get so much attention from stripping? I'm sure it's a much more rewarding job for a "cute girl" like her.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree.....I feel she did Survivor to be "discovered"
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I'm torn on this issue. But first, my qualifications...

I'm a teacher (currently at a business school for adults, but I used to teach high school) who happened to have lived in Jefferson City, MO which is roughly 30 miles from Eldon.

The following are not in order of importance.

If anything, Heidi is actually HELPING all those girls who feel they need to starve themselves to be attractive. I haven't heard one person say she looks really good - and this includes message boards that aren't full of really conservative people as this one seems to be. Let her strip. Little girls all over the world will see her and think, "Ugh, maybe an extra 5-10 pounds isn't all that bad after all."

As far as teachers being held to a higher standard... This is true. They're not really paid enough to be this, but it's just how it is. I taught with someone who smoked pot and the students knew it. Some thought it was cool, but ultimately the students didn't respect the guy - even those that initially thought it was cool.

Heidi's comments about how the older, heavier women are jealous just because they're young, thin, and attractive... This showed her age and immaturity more than anything.

But one must admit that this is generally the case. Oh sure, there will be some women (and men) who will say, "It doesn't matter how someone looks or how much they weigh," but the reality is that it does matter. Women more than men, even, check out other women. They are more critical of each other. And they are definitely more jealous of a beautiful woman. Beautiful people get promoted quicker. They get more votes. They sell more CDs. They draw more people to the theaters. People can deny it all they want, but it's a fact of life.

The problem with Heidi saying it is that beautiful people aren't supposed to point out that they're beautiful. Only other people are allowed to call them beautiful. When a beautiful person insults non-beautiful people, then it's just appalling. Well, all Heidi did was point out a fact of life. And for this, we insult her and say how horrible she is for saying such shallow things.

If Deena said the same things, however, we'd hear lengthy discussions about how smart she is and about how well she understands human nature. So, Heidi understands human nature. Unfortunately, she's a bit immature in that she doesn't know that she shouldn't be insulting people's physical appearance while pointing out that hers is near-perfect.

And yes, she is much too thin now, but once she returns to the real world and has a few meals inside her, she will be a super-hottie once again. And it's not because she's so thin with breast implants. It's because she is an athlete that really works at keeping in shape and that, even though she isn't beautiful by normal model-like standards, she does have an interesting appealing look, especially when she's cleaned up.

One thing that people are ignoring about Heidi is one of the biggest reasons for so many mental problems teens and adults face today. If teenagers had confidence in themselves, in their appearance and in their beliefs, we wouldn't have so many problems.

Our society is so anti-nudity. If someone takes their clothes off, they are instantly called a slut, a tramp, whore, or whatever else Heidi and Jenna were called. They were out there for almost three weeks with absolutely no snacks or "satisfy-cravings" food. I thought they did a wise thing. They were craving peanut butter and chocolate (or whatever it was). If they waited until later, then they'd have to compete for this against other people. This way they knew that they were assured of the food they wanted. If they waited, there would be a possibility of losing out on that one thing they wanted more than anything else.

They offered to get naked for it. So what. No one else would be competing for it. It was a sure thing. Otherwise, Jeff might've had them race for it or make them split it between four or five others or any other possibilities.

She got naked. She took her clothes off. Was it a sexual thing? Was it dirty? No. If anything, their mechanical "here's my naked body now give me my food" should've been a bit of a let-down for the guys. They never once said or acted like, "Ok, guys, look at me.
    Feast your eyes on my body as I pose in sexy ways." They got naked to satisfy a nasty craving. What they did wasn't sexy or slutty. It was all business.

And all bones, apparently.

Some people take advantage of the fact that they're strong. Others use their charm and charisma to their advantage. Still others use their intelligence and perceptiveness to take advantage of others. Heidi and Jenna have been told many times by the guys themselves that they're hot. It's a game they're playing and if someone doesn't recognize their strengths and take advantage of these strengths, then they shouldn't be playing the game.

Should she lose her job over it? That's a tough call. A teacher should not do what she did. However, gym class is something that, in part, promotes physical well-being. Yes, Heidi took her clothes off for peanut butter. But she's also a noted and accomplished athlete - someone that is confident about her body because she's put in the hours and the hard work to be very fit, and thus very healthy. Her students should be so healthy.

Is it a good message to tell her students? Especially the young girls with the nice bodies? "Hey, if you have a nice body, then all you have to do is get naked and you'll get most anything you want from guys." It IS true (if the guys are young and stupid). However, one should aspire to achieve via means other than nudity.

So, as you can see, I'm torn on this issue. I don't think what she did was all that bad. Nudity isn't a bad thing. However, being a teacher holds her to a different standard than if she worked in an office cubicle. If we didn't hold teachers to different standards, then there'd be just as much discussion about the swimsuit model Jenna baring her emaciated body as there has been about Heidi.

Plus, as many have pointed out, her comments to the cameras throughout this series have been far worse than standing naked on a log all business-like.

And so, even though I've blabbed on and on for so long, I'm back to the very same place I started -- undecided on the issue.

Ah well, at least I've achieved my blab quota for the day.

Is it a good message to tell her students? Especially the young girls with the nice bodies? "Hey, if you have a nice body, then all you have to do is get naked and you'll get most anything you want from guys." It IS true (if the guys are young and stupid). However, one should aspire to achieve via means other than nudity.

So, as you can see, I'm torn on this issue. I don't think what she did was all that bad. Nudity isn't a bad thing. However, being a teacher holds her to a different standard than if she worked in an office cubicle. If we didn't hold teachers to different standards, then there'd be just as much discussion about the swimsuit model Jenna baring her emaciated body as there has been about Heidi.

Plus, as many have pointed out, her comments to the cameras throughout this series have been far worse than standing naked on a log all business-like.

Very interesting post.

However, I don't agree that everything is neccessarily true. If anything, Heidi came on Survivor thinking she would be some hot Survivor chick. Jenna and Heidi were bragging about being the Amazon Girls Gone Wild. Instead, they are the laughingstock throughout the internet fan community.

In the end, being cute and willing to use your appearance will only get you so far. I don't see either winning the million and if they do.. it will be a sad, sad day for me.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    However, gym class is something that, in part, promotes physical well-being.
    Agreed. Physical well-being, not "cuteness".

I enjoyed reading all the view points posted above from those of you who are teachers, or have parents that are teachers, etc.

Here are my credentials. I am a mother of a 13 year old girl. If this woman was my daughter's PE teacher, I would be filing a complaint with the school board, and on her case.
    But the sad part about that is, it would not serve me a hope in hell. Once a teacher (in my school district) has a foot hold in our school system, they would have to do more than outrage a parent or two to get them fired. We have a few teachers I who would be better serving fries at BK than teaching children, but they have the backing of the school board because of seniority or 'tenyor'. That sucks.
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

I have been a middle school teacher for the past twelve years. I've taught in a small, closed midwestern community like Heidi's, and a larger urban one on the east coast. I can promise you that if she taught in my former school district (not so far away in Kansas), she would be history due to the nudity (note: I am not passing judgement on that, I am just stating a fact).

I find the nudity a little disturbing because middle school kids are very impressionable, and body image is a major issue with girls that age. I see girls as young as eleven dressing in very low cut jeans and high cut tops and it worries me-- not because their skin is showing, but because many of them are doing it to make an impact on twelve year old boys (and for the most part, it works). They are learning younger and younger to "use" their bodies to get what they want...and at eleven and twelve...I think we can agree that what they want may not necessarily be what is best for them.

I see girls sitting in the cafeteria with no trays. "I'm too fat to eat," I've been told by perfectly normal-looking young ladies. And this bothers me. This bothers me because I was one of them once. I don't think I ate half of my school lunches in eighth grade, because I was "too fat," and you can bet I've had my share of eating disorders and the accompanying misery.

Was it immoral for Heidi to strip on national TV? That is not for me to judge. Is it foolish of her, as a teacher (even as a human being!), to demonstrate through both her words and actions to young girls that the only worthy body is a thin, young one that can be used as "bait" against men? Absolutely.

I agree. I am mom to a beautiful 14 year old middle-schooler who now weighs 120 pounds, wears a size 7 and continually complains that she is too fat.

Other girls her age are rail thin, wear cropped shirts and low-rise jeans and are very concerned with looking 'sexy.'

It's a scary enough time to be raising a teenager. And you've got to appreciate how impressionable middle-school children are. They idolize many of their teachers.

So how excited were Heidi's students when they found out she would be on the upcoming season of Survivor? It's the best next thing to actually knowing a real live celebrity. Their very own teacher is on TV!!! woohoo!

These kids in her school are glued to the tv each week watching Miss Heidi on tv. Don't you think they come in to class the next morning and talk about the episode??

"Oooh -- Miz Heidi - you were nekked! Kewl!"

I shudder to think what they might have asked her about the communal bath scene.

+ Reply to Thread