+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldon Teacher Defends Her Survivor Stripping

I didn't say she should lose her job if she wasn't respected. I just said my kids would have 0 respect for her.

And Jill, really, can you honestly compare this site and what is said here to being a teacher and acting the way Heidi has on TV. I realize you may be trying to make a point, but in my opinion when you make comparisons like that it further demerits your point.

Again this is something we will have to disagree on. I guess no matter what I say you won’t be able to see my point, and I can’t think of an argument you could come up with that would help me see your point of view (for defending heidi).

I am sorry to hear that you had 0 respect for so many teachers as you grew up. I find that sad.

I’ll finish by saying as a parent I would not want Heidi teaching my children, or in my “village”.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I think my mother is right in thinking she is not a parent to all those kids in her class. She's not. She is, however, one of the best teachers in her district, and is well recognizes as such. She has high standards for parenting but recognizes that she cannot make up for poor parenting. cali, your kids sound like they can think well for themselves, isn't that the point? You don't rely on your kids' teachers to give them lessons like that. I don't think Heidi undermined such parenting; only weak parenting.
    Jill.. my mother has also taught for over 35 years. And I agree with you on the above. But there is a fine line.

You mentionned that you didn't see the episode where Heidi was going on about weight and being cute and the heavy girls should do all the work, etc.

On one hand we have the argument that teachers should not be 'raising' other people's children. You are 100% correct and I think most are in agreement.

On the other hand, no parent wants their child exposed to racist attitudes, a teacher that is swearing in class all the time, one that is berating her students and one that passes her self-image issues onto kids.

I'm assuming your mother does that and that's why she is a good teacher.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

The foolishness that has spewed from this woman's mouth is apalling; far worse than gettin' nekkid in public
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Wow! Did the Survivor and CE threads get crossed?

Some excellent comments here folks. I agree with pretty much everyone, except for Jill.

I think in today's society there is already far too much pressure on girls growing up to stay thin at any cost. No, it isn't a teacher's job to raise our kids, and I don't think anyone here is saying that it is, Jill. But I think there is enough pressure on girls growing up today to stay thin at all costs - from magazines, movies, tv, and advertising - as it is. Eating disorders and low self esteem because of bad body image is already epidemic. Having a gym teacher that reinforces those images just makes matters worse.

Whether it's "right" or not, teachers are role models for kids and should give some thought to behavior as such. Like a couple of previous posters, I agree that Heidi getting naked was not as concerning to me as the comments she's made regarding weight, beauty and age as measures of a woman's worth.

Of course, this is a strange environment (the show) and I'm willing to give her a little benefit of the doubt regarding her "real life" behavior vs. her "Survivor" behavior. But Heidi has been pretty consistent in her attitudes, and her quick willingness to strip did seem strange (although we didn't see everything that was said or done due to editing).

I understand the frustration of teachers who feel like some parents leave all the character-building to them. But like I said, their role models at least to some extent, and if they're uncomfortable with that might want to find a different line of work.

searching for reality voyager265's Avatar
    This is the most interesting debate I have seen in awhile.

I am amazed at exactly how high out standards are for our teachers (an extremely underpaid career move by the way) compared with how low are standards are for others. It was not that long ago that there was a high placed government figure that told our children that oral sex wasn't really sex and that lying was okay, He wasn't removed from his high-placed job. I guess that I would be a whole lot more worried about how a gym teacher behaved on a reality show affecting my kids.

By the way I have kids.
    Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

I have an aunt who teaches kindergarten. She is a wonderful, loving teacher. Not only does she take very seriously the responsibility of teaching ABCs, but also helping children to develop socially. All teachers are in a position of leadership.

I spent some time in high school working in a Grade 1 class. The teacher was experiencing some mental health problems. It was obvious she was headed for a nervous breakdown. Yet she continued to teach. She would let the class get out of hand, then scream at them at length... How many six year olds do you know that are going to go home after class and say, wow, my teacher is on the brink - I suppose I should have behaved better...
    They went home and complained that their teacher was mean. That she yelled at them. She wasn't teaching the next semester - and I think she eventually came back, when she had sufficient time off. The point is, a little chubby kid isn't going to understand why his teacher makes those comments when two months ago she was encouraging him.

I teach a class once a week. I have learned that you can stand in front of a class and spew forth facts until you're blue in the face, but if you want your class to learn, you have to be emotionally invested in them - you have to show them that you are concerned about the things you are teaching, that you are concerned about their education and development. You project your own feelings into what you are teaching. You can't tell me that Heidi is a good phys ed teacher after hearing her spew forth her negative comments and views on body image. Admittedly, she is not the only person in the world who thinks this way. Watch a movie. Look at a magazine. It's out there. But it shouldn't be in the classroom.

Teachers and Ethics

Let me tell you. I'm in a teacher education program right now, and we're being indoctrinated with the code of ethics that teachers are obligated to live by, whether you're on summer vacation, or on a reality tv show, and simply put, at least in Canada, what Heidi did was unethical. Under no circumstances should she have put herself in that kind of position, especially on national tv. I guarantee that there will be reprecautions when she returned to her job after the show hit the air.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by voyager265
    This is the most interesting debate I have seen in awhile.

It was not that long ago that there was a high placed government figure that told our children that oral sex wasn't really sex and that lying was okay, He wasn't removed from his high-placed job. I guess that I would be a whole lot more worried about how a gym teacher behaved on a reality show affecting my kids.

By the way I have kids.
    Trust me voyager, if it had been my decision, he never would have been in a position to get removed in the first place.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    late to the discussion, and not that anyone cares but...

The foolishness that has spewed from this woman's mouth is apalling; far worse than gettin' nekkid in public

I had 0 respect for this foolish bag of bones lllllooooong before she peeled of her clothes. No, I do not think she should hold her job, but not because of what she did, but because of her attitude of Fat Vs Skinny and Cut Vs Not Cute girls. HELLO!!
    >>>> Damn if that isn't what a group of girls need to hear in gym class. :rolleyes:
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

+ Reply to Thread