+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Leslie - China

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: Leslie - China

What constitutes a religious ceremony (or, for that matter, anything religious, period) is a deeply personal and individual belief. What may be religious for one may not be for another. All things considered, I thought she handled it very well. She excused herself from the ceremony and left without causing a ruckus. Better that than Courtney's rudeness.

Her reaction in the temple totally disgusted me. Her attitude is what turns me off hard line christans. She is supposed to be preaching peace, love, family, tolerance and understanding. There are many faces of God, in China he is going to look Chinese. It is highly ethnicentric to think that the western version of Christ is the only right way to think of God. God is God, everyone has their own interpretation of what God is. She needs to be slapped up the side of her head to be that rude and insulting to her hosts.

A piece of advice, SUCK IT UP.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-22-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Yes, everyone does have their own interpretation of God. People expect Leslie to accept other versions, why can't people accept hers? She has the right to her beliefs just like others have a right to theirs. At least she was respectful of how she bowed out of the ceremony. Like I said earlier, if Jeff hadn't pointed it out, the others probably wouldn't have even noticed. She only stated her opinion when asked about it.

I think this is another case of more being made out of it that actually happened. Welcome to the world of messageboards.

She also has a certain image to uphold as a radio host of a Christian show. I'm sure that played somewhere in her mind as well. One of my questions was if she has applied to Survivor (5 times?) and is probably a fan then she had to have known they might do some sort of opening blessing ceremony and since it was in China..... anyways... it shouldn't have come as that big of a surprise.

However, in her defense, it was in a language she didn't understand and there were praying motions (hands clasped, bowing) along with chants. I can see how it might go against her personal beliefs and I think she handled it properly. This is just a game and her beliefs are reality, I wouldn't expect her to give up her beliefs for the sake of the game.

Either way, nobody would have known what she did unless it had been pointed out and why wasn't what Courtney did mentioned? Its better to just walk out then to stand there mocking the whole thing and acting like you are better than something that is so "un-New York" like.

FORT Newbie

Being born in Hong Kong and fully aware of Chinese cultures and worshipping in temples, the ceremony displayed in the episode was indeed a worship ceremony to the gods in that temple.

Despite Jeff stating that it was NOT a religious worship ceremony, it was one indeed (as for why CBS would have Jeff say otherwise, I don't know...).

I commend Leslie for her discernment in recognizing it as one and chose to remove herself from it with tact while not causing a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by jhong;2582330;
    Being born in Hong Kong and fully aware of Chinese cultures and worshipping in temples, the ceremony displayed in the episode was indeed a worship ceremony to the gods in that temple.

Despite Jeff stating that it was NOT a religious worship ceremony, it was one indeed (as for why CBS would have Jeff say otherwise, I don't know...).

I commend Leslie for her discernment in recognizing it as one and chose to remove herself from it with tact while not causing a scene.
    Wow, major oops by CBS.

However, since Leslie was a guest in the country and invited to participate I felt leaving was rude. If she felt uncomfortable then she should have just sucked it up until it was over and in her own head said a prayer to God/Jesus. End of Story. Just because she was in a Buddhist temple and participating in the ceremony does not constitute worshiping Buddha instead of God. If in her heart she is true to her faith then there is no problem. Just because you are a christian does not mean you cannot go into houses of worship of another religion. If in her version of Christianity this is a great sin, there is a lot on intolerance for others in it, and intolerance breeds hate and pogoms and wars.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

My two cents:

We don't know how it all really went down. I read an interview with Chicken that said the whole thing went on for 3 hours. I also read that Jeff went into a much longer explanation of what the ceremony was. But here's what I'm thinking. Even though he said it's not a "worship" ceremony, if asked to bow in front of what I consider to be a false god (again, we don't know if that's what they were actually doing with editing and all), I couldn't do it because of my personal convictions. Eating a big juicy steak is not worship of Jesus Christ but I wouldn't ask a Hindu visiting this country and my home to eat one because it was "American" because of their belief that cows are sacred. Does that make sense? It doesn't matter what Jeff said, it matters what she feels personally convicted she can and cannot do and I think she handled it respectfully.

That's all.

What a great first post, jandtbro. Welcome to the board.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Newbie

Thanks Stargazer. Glad I found this forum. It seems smart and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2582581;
    Wow, major oops by CBS.

However, since Leslie was a guest in the country and invited to participate I felt leaving was rude. If she felt uncomfortable then she should have just sucked it up until it was over and in her own head said a prayer to God/Jesus. End of Story. Just because she was in a Buddhist temple and participating in the ceremony does not constitute worshiping Buddha instead of God. If in her heart she is true to her faith then there is no problem. Just because you are a christian does not mean you cannot go into houses of worship of another religion. If in her version of Christianity this is a great sin, there is a lot on intolerance for others in it, and intolerance breeds hate and pogoms and wars.
    I would have walked out also. That was NOT just a "welcoming ceremony" but it was a worship service to a different god. She did not make a fuss but quietly and discreetly exited the building. She handled herself well and Jeff's attempts at creating drama went nowhere. :nono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast