+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Leslie - China

Re: Leslie - China

I do agree that she was a LOT less disrespectful than Courtney. While I don't agree with her beliefs, she seems to truly mean them, so I don't really have a problem with her leaving the temple, if it bothered her that much.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

I agree. She did what she felt was best for her, without interupting or disrespecting anyone else in the process. Now if she had made a scene about it, I think I may feel differently, but as it was edited, she simply and quietly removed herself from an uncomfortable situation. I respect her for that.

I also got a good impression of her when she was talking with James. I felt that she was truly trying to put him at ease and bring him out of his shell. His honesty to her, her response, and the entire interaction just solidified in my mind that I liked her.

Well...it kind of bothered me at first when she left the temple. Anyone who has ever watched Survivor has to be aware that there is always some sort of ceremonies that involve local traditions and beliefs. However, in retrospect, I don't think it was that big of a deal. She seemed to handle it fairly gracefully. Courtney was far more disrespectful IMO.

It bothered me a lot when she left the temple, I felt at the time that it was disrespectful and that she shouldn't have taken such a literal translation. However, in retrospect, I've come to realize that some of that feeling was based on how disgusted I was at Courtney's actions and that Leslie actually handled the whole thing rather tactfully. She didn't make a scene, she was still respectful, she just left and that's her choice. Plus, the kindness she showed to PG and James seem to indicate that she's got her heart in the right place (at least for now) so I'm willing to overlook my initial impression.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2581349;
    Well...it kind of bothered me at first when she left the temple. Anyone who has ever watched Survivor has to be aware that there is always some sort of ceremonies that involve local traditions and beliefs. However, in retrospect, I don't think it was that big of a deal. She seemed to handle it fairly gracefully. Courtney was far more disrespectful IMO.

That is one of the reasons why I could never be on Survivor or Amazing Race. So many times there are religious ceremonies or traditions involved in tasks that I do not believe in & would feel wrong participating in.

I did like the way she spoke with James & told him to just be himself.
    Before the show aired, I didn't think I'd like her, but so far she seems to be a sincere person. Now, if she starts being a hypocrite or acting superior, then I will change my mind, but right now, I like her.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If Jeff stated that it was not worship, then I believe him. Many cultures, others that have been shown on Survivor, have a blessing/welcome ceremony for the castaways.

I could understand a fundamentalist being uncomfortable, but it also seemed a bit close-minded to me and not accepting of other cultures. She wasn't praying to any idols, she was participating in a ceremony. There's a big difference there.

However, I thought that Courtney with her eye-rolling and pissy behavior was far more disresectful than Leslie's leaving the ceremony.

I did love it when Leslie befriended James and gave him some pointers about how to get along with everyone.

FORT Fan

I also loved it when Leslie tried to help James. Hopefully this can blossom into an alliance that will allow the two of them to go far

FORT Newbie

While I think she is less disrespectful than Courtney she is no less as rude. It was stated that this wasn't a religous ceremony and I have a real problem with people who aren't tolerant of other people's beliefs.

Being a "christain" doesn't put you above other people.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolf;2581810;
    While I think she is less disrespectful than Courtney she is no less as rude. It was stated that this wasn't a religous ceremony and I have a real problem with people who aren't tolerant of other people's beliefs.

Being a "christain" doesn't put you above other people.
    She didn't indicate that she was above other people. She felt uncomfortable in the situation and she quietly removed herself. The others might not have even noticed if Jeff hadn't pointed it out.

To me there is a difference in being tolerant and participating. She didn't stand up and state they were wrong and leave, she said what she did was her personal belief. I agree that she should be tolerant of other peoples beliefs, but should people also be tolerant of hers?

FORT Newbie

When you are at a ceramony in someone else's country that was stated it was not a religious ceramony and you state crap about not bowing down before another's God you are not being respectful. It was NOT a religious ceramony, she chose to make it one.

Since it wasn't a ceramony she should have been tolerant. She wasn't participating in religion. As far as people being tolerant of her beliefs, yes, they should, but she was in their country not the other way around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast