+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Survivor' Producers Sue Makers of 'Get Me Out'

'Survivor' Producers Sue Makers of 'Get Me Out'

From Zap2It.com
    LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The production company that owns the worldwide rights to "Survivor" is suing the maker of another show that stranded celebrities on an island.

Castaway Productions Ltd., headed by singer Bob Geldof, produces "Survivor" in a number of countries, including the United States. The company claims the recently aired British series "I'm a Celebrity -- Get Me Out of Here" infringes on its copyright for the show.

The lawsuit, filed in London, seeks an injunction against Granada and London Weekend Television, which produced "Get Me Out of Here," the AP reports.

"Get Me Out of Here" stranded eight B-list celebrities, including psychic Uri Geller and ex-boxer Nigel Benn, in a remote part of Australia, where they had to find their own food and water. Viewers voted by phone to remove them one by one, with proceeds from the calls going to charity. The participants won nothing more than TV exposure.

A statement from Castaway Productions says the company is filing suit to protect its intellectual property rights and correct the "widespread belief" that it endorsed the celebrity show.

For its part, Granada "made clear to ... Castaway that we don't consider our program in any way infringes their rights in 'Survivor,' " a spokesman says. "We have received strong legal advice supporting that position and will, if necessary, vigorously defend any proceedings."

ABC recently ordered an American version of "Get Me Out of Here." There's no telling yet how the lawsuit might affect its production.
    Wasn't Bob Geldof the lead singer of Pink Floyd? I didn't know he was involved in Survivor.

Ya know, I'm tired of all these stupid lawsuits. From what I've read, which admittedly is the article above, and one other about the show, "Get Me Out", isn't like Survivor in that many ways. Certainly not enough to warrent a lawsuit.
    Add that to the fact that procedes went to charity, and I veiw the lawsuit in a very bad light!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, I think the shows are punished enough when they bomb!

Totally agreed on the charity part of it...pretty tacky!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Bob Geldof was the lead singer of the Boomtown Rats (I don't like Mondays) he was also the founder of Band Aid and Live Aid, the Ethiopian Famine relief projects.

"That's Numberwang!"

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Bob Geldof was the We Are the World/Band Aid relief for Africa guy.For his efforts in humanitarian relief he was knighted

He was also Paula Yates ex-husband , and involved in the whole Micheal Hutchence/ Paula suicide thing. He and Yates had three kids, and after her death he adopted ,her and Hutchences daughter Tiger Lily.To mantain some sort of a semblance of Family for the little girl, Hutchence's parents agreed to this. As both parents allegedly commited suicide, this poor kid is in for some big time therapy.

As an entertainer his only big hit was in the mid 70's or so "As a Tv producer he has had a lot more success. The UK version was called Survivor 1 & 2 and was wildly popular. Contrary to belief ,I do not think that Markie has worldwide ownership of the Survivor franchise, only North American. Sir Bob owns the rights for the rest of the world. In an english court of law, who's going to win ?Sir Bob , who is an iconic figure in UK - (He's Irish), or Anyone else.

No Pink Floyd although I believe he did make an appearance at 1990's The Wall concert in Berlin.
    Last edited by eny; 09-29-2002 at 07:44 PM.

Ah, I know what I was thinking of. Bob Geldof was "Pink" (the lead character) in the movie "The Wall". Now, I knew I wasn't going crazy!

With 1001 "Reality Shows" on TV nowadays, I don't see how Get Me Out of Here is any more deserving of a lawsuit than any other knockoff. It sounds almost as tacky as Celebrity Bootcamp.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Sir Bob in The Wall

+ Reply to Thread