+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: 3/1 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Once you leave camp for a medical reason, you're out of the game.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Yup and unlike Bruce and Mike who were pulled from the game by the medical staff, Gary was not. He can try saving face in interviews but he didn't "go out on a medical" as he says, he quit.

He was fishing in his responses to the medical staff both times, perhaps hoping they'd say "we are pulling you out" so the decision would be off his shoulders. That the medical staff didn't think he was in danger enough to pull him from the game says alot. That he says in an interview to "look up the syptoms of allergic reactions on the internet and I had most of them" instead of "the doctor said it was XYZ" says alot as well. So far I have yet to see anything corroberating his condition from any kind of medical personel that worked on him. Did he have a reaction? He could have, but him simply saying "this is what it was" means squat. He was a nice guy but until he can back it up with more than conjecture, he's still a quitter

Fort Fashion Expert Kirsten1526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2267511;
    If Gary had been on Ravu I would agree with the assessment that he was just a quitter, but that wasn't the case. He was on Moto where they lived in the lap of Survivor luxury. Jeff said he fell hard, but it didn't look bad on TV and he got up and scored his basket afterward. Gary also won the pig snout eating contest that was probably the most difficult of the culinary delights segment. He was well liked and a greater asset to the team than Cassandra or Lisi so he had no need to worry about being voted out anytime soon.

Aren't trouble breathing, nausea and dizziness classic symptoms of an allergic reaction to bug bites? Wasn't he literally covered with bites? Wasn't he throwing up anything he ate or drank? It doesn't make sense that he just wanted to be one of the loathsome quitter of the game. Gary's leaving was the first step in keeping this from becoming Pagonging Fiji.

The previews make me hopeful that Lisi is skating on thin ice with her alliance.
    I agree with your assessment. I also think that it made things more interesting. If he would have stayed, Moto would have voted him off the island out of pity. Liliana would still be there, and they win. I'm glad they got two people off in a week. This makes the numbers even.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2267511;
    If Gary had been on Ravu I would agree with the assessment that he was just a quitter, but that wasn't the case. He was on Moto where they lived in the lap of Survivor luxury. Jeff said he fell hard, but it didn't look bad on TV and he got up and scored his basket afterward. Gary also won the pig snout eating contest that was probably the most difficult of the culinary delights segment.

Aren't trouble breathing, nausea and dizziness classic symptoms of an allergic reaction to bug bites? Wasn't he literally covered with bites? Wasn't he throwing up anything he ate or drank? It doesn't make sense that he just wanted to be one of the loathsome quitter of the game.
    I figure I'm following your thought that it makes a difference that Gary was living the Moto high life rather than subsisting like those Ravu animals, but I don't see that being much of a factor.

You state yourself a couple of primary reasons to project that Gary thought himself into an early exit. He can't do anything back at camp except hold his head in the same pose I figure he'd seen and been impressed with elsewhere while looping though the same story again and again and again as to his symptoms and hang dog outlook regarding pulling it together and pushing through. He said it was a constant, yet he powers over to challenge, snorts down some snout treats with something visually approaching gusto, and then heads on back to camp to assume the position and latest reiteration of how he can't function.

He took a dive, sure, but neither the visual nor Jeff's commentary gave me any reason to think there was anything all that traumatic about it. If anything got hurt where Gary was concerned, it appeared to me to relate to his pride, seeing as his symptoms appeared out of the blue immediately after Dreamz good naturedly ribbed him about his effort.

I don't know whether he was tossing his cookies, but even if he was it wouldn't be inconsistent with my projection. A mind is a powerhouse; repeat the same message enough and the mind will have the body respond accordingly. There was a time when I used to call in 'sick' for one reason or another even though I wasn't. I eliminated that transparent subterfuge when I started feeling sick after telling that sort of tall tale.

Maybe Gary's version of events is accurate. Maybe. We'll never know for a fact, not from Gary, and not from his enabling tribemates who fed his tale.

One thing positive I will say about Gary's evacuation; he stuck to his story and got out of there, which I appreciate even if it makes him a technical quitter much more than the moaners we've seen over the years saying/moaning/crying that they just can't endure another day only to snap out of their funk when the game starts treating them more favorably.

I believe if you get caught on camera saying you want out of there, Jeffy ought to don his Fairy Godmother outfit and immediately and irrevocably grant the sad sack their wish and save the rest of us from having to listen to their whining.

Gary didn't want to be a quitter, he was pretty careful about the way he crafted his comments. He wanted out of there beyond a shadow of a doubt; but he wanted someone else to make the call based on the 'Get me outta here' morse code/body language/smoke signals he was broadcasting on all wavelengths load and clear but always just short of out and out declaring HIS desire to go.

Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person left who actually believes Gary simply couldn't go on and had to leave the game, and who doesn't see him as a quitter.

Fort Fashion Expert Kirsten1526's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;2268518;
    Now I'm wondering if I'm the only person left who actually believes Gary simply couldn't go on and had to leave the game, and who doesn't see him as a quitter.
    I believe that too. I really do think he was that sick. He was good in the challenges and he was living in luxury. I would be skeptical if he were at the Ravu camp and "got sick". Everyone would want to get out of that hell hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten1526;2268527;
    (...)he was living in luxury. I would be skeptical if he were at the Ravu camp and "got sick". Everyone would want to get out of that hell hole.
    And yet no one over there is stepping forward to leave. Rocky Buffoon maybe could be considered to be campaigning toward that happening to him, but considering the mouthiness he showed in episode 1, that's less to do with Ravu's beach and more with the bum on that beach; James.

I'm well aware how little we are actually shown, but personally I just don't buy into the whole Ravu is deprived to the point of being doomed by the no-frills beach they inhabit.

There's no particular reason for expecting that they should be malnourished to the point of not being capable of competing even though they have few tools making putting food in their guts something easy and effortless. Erica dumb lucked upon pineapples she might well have passed by without noticing. There is food on that island, I'm certain of it.

Must be, otherwise a couple of people might actually be approaching skeletor status like James unconvincingly attempted to do. {Call me when you start losing muscle instead of fat, Rocky}

When Lisi and the other chick (to be introduced at some point) were doing the water luxuriating over in Motoland, I was thinking I'd be doing the same whether I was Moto or Ravu. When's the next trip to Fuji your likely to make. The season opened with the gloriously open panoranic views of paradise, now mostly we're treated to hammock and couch at Moto (king sized bed update this week, YEA! ), and a shot of the shelterless beach of Ravu that sticks within a couple of yards to either end of the cave wannabe overcropping. No more walkabouts. One tribe is too full, the other, what, too weak?

Back to that bed for a moment. I'd probably be an early goner, because there's no way I'd willingly cuddle up that close and personal with the others. When I want to sleep, I want to sleep, meaning plenty of room to flail away toss and turn and somersaults if that evenings program calls for it. I'd rather sleep with the bugs and snakes than with 7 or more other people. At least in a setting where space is not a luxury.

+ Reply to Thread