+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor's ratings over the years

Survivor's ratings over the years

I looked through the whole thing, and I noticed that there hasn't been a thread created about Survivor's ratings over the years (there has been threads about the ratings about certain episodes, but there hasn't been a thread created about Survivor's ratings in general). Right now, its ratings are pretty low compared to past Survivor seasons, and it's kinda worrisome because there may not be a lot more Survivors in the future.

-The first two seasons had some of the highest ratings ever. Survivor: Borneo's finale drew in more than 50 million viewers, and Survivor: the Australian Outback was the #1 show in its season.

-Survivor: Africa didn't do well compared to the first two seasons, but it still did pretty good.

-Survivor: Marquesas also did well, but Africa had better ratings. Same thing with Survivor: Thailand; it did well, but did a little worse than the season before it.

-Survivor: Amazon's season premiere did better than Survivor: Thailand's premiere, but its finale did worse than Thailand's.

-Survivor: Pearl Islands' season premiere did worse than Amazon's premiere, but its finale did better than Amazon's.

-Survivor: All-Stars' season premiere did way better than Pearl Islands' season premiere (partly because it followed the Super Bowl), but its finale did worse than Pearl Islands'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, the first 8 season had pretty solid ratings. Almost all the episodes from seasons 3-8 were in the 20 million region. But here's when Survivor started to drop a little bit...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Survivor: Vanuatu was the downfall in Survivor. Its premiere drew in 20.06 million viewers, the least watched Survivor premiere since Borneo. And its finale drew in 19.72 million viewers, which was the first time ever that a season finale's ratings were in the 10 million region.

-Survivor: Palau did a little bit better then Survivor: Vanuatu. The season premiere for this season had higher ratings than the premieres of the following seasons: Borneo, Marquesas, Thailand, Amazon, Pearl Islands, and Vanuatu. The finale ratings were a little bit of a disappointment (in my mind); it drew in 20.8 million.

-Survivor: Guatemala had a disappointing premiere with 18.41 million viewers. But it came back with a finale that drew in 21.18 million.

-Survivor: Exile Island's premiere had a bigger outcome than Guatemala's premiere with 19.2 million viewers. But only 17.07 million people tuned in for the finale, which was the lowest in Survivor history since Vanuatu.

-Survivor: Cook Islands had a premiere with 18 million people watching it. Even though it was less than Exile Island's premiere, it was more than Exile Island's finale. And even though Cook Islands was one of the best seasons out of the whole bunch (IMO and in Jeff Probst's opinion), its finale had the lowest turnout yet with 16.42 million viewers.

So that was a summary of the whole thing. As you can see, Survivor was doing so well back then. But now it's been disappointing. I really hope Survivor can bring it back up with Fiji. What are your thoughts?

And I'm sorry if that post was all over the place. And confusing. That's the best way I could put it.

You know I find it funny that people complain about Survivors ratings slipping from a high of 20 million to 16 million when a cable network like VH1 is estatic when a show like Flavor of Love gets and all time high of 3 million, or on the Sci Fi channel a show is a hit it it gets 2.5 million. People get bored and they want to try new things simple as that. Also what I like about the format of a reality show is that when a season is over it is over. I have only invested so much time and it is easy to walk away after only a season. On the other hand if you miss a season is not that big a deal as if you have missed a year of your favorite tv drama. It is also very hard to maintain viewers we have so many distractions and choices for Survivor to have lasted as long as it has in the television market and be franchised in other countries is remarkable and the fact that 16 million people still watch is to be applauded.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The ratings are indeed dropping and there may not be that many locations left to strand people. I give survivor two or three more years before Mark Burnett pulls the plug. Thank you CrossingGuard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2192401;
    You know I find it funny that people complain about Survivors ratings slipping from a high of 20 million to 16 million when a cable network like VH1 is estatic when a show like Flavor of Love gets and all time high of 3 million, or on the Sci Fi channel a show is a hit it it gets 2.5 million. People get bored and they want to try new things simple as that. Also what I like about the format of a reality show is that when a season is over it is over. I have only invested so much time and it is easy to walk away after only a season. On the other hand if you miss a season is not that big a deal as if you have missed a year of your favorite tv drama. It is also very hard to maintain viewers we have so many distractions and choices for Survivor to have lasted as long as it has in the television market and be franchised in other countries is remarkable and the fact that 16 million people still watch is to be applauded.
    But you know that VH1 and SciFi are cable channels. VH1 is basic cable and SciFi is extended cable. When VH1 hits something in the 7 million region, it's a really big thing. Not a lot of cable shows get to that much. And when SciFi hit 2.5 million, that's also a big thing.

But when Survivor hits 16 million, it's good but really bad at the same time. Sixteen million is a good amount of viewers, but if you see its past, you see episodes hitting 30 million, 40 million, and 50 million. And it's at 16 million now. 50 million - 16 million = 34 million viewers lost. That's kinda a big deal. Especially for Survivor fans.

FORT Fogey
    Interesting that the finale dipped in ratings. Maybe too much of a sure thing. The twists of having f3 instead of f2 didn't pay off and having the exile idol land a person in f3 wasn't such a good idea. That twist caught some of the contestants off guard, especially Ozzy. Maybe, if they knew ahead of time their game would have changed and it would have been more dramatic as people starting vying for f3.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2192884;
    Interesting that the finale dipped in ratings. Maybe too much of a sure thing. The twists of having f3 instead of f2 didn't pay off and having the exile idol land a person in f3 wasn't such a good idea. That twist caught some of the contestants off guard, especially Ozzy. Maybe, if they knew ahead of time their game would have changed and it would have been more dramatic as people starting vying for f3.
    Yeah, even when Survivor comes up with one of the best seasons, it's still low rated.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2192870;
    But you know that VH1 and SciFi are cable channels. VH1 is basic cable and SciFi is extended cable. When VH1 hits something in the 7 million region, it's a really big thing. Not a lot of cable shows get to that much. And when SciFi hit 2.5 million, that's also a big thing.

But when Survivor hits 16 million, it's good but really bad at the same time. Sixteen million is a good amount of viewers, but if you see its past, you see episodes hitting 30 million, 40 million, and 50 million. And it's at 16 million now. 50 million - 16 million = 34 million viewers lost. That's kinda a big deal. Especially for Survivor fans.

But this is the thirteenth season, did anyone actually think they would be pulling in those HUMONGOUS numbers on the thirteenth season?

The fact that Survivor has had relatively consistent ratings is a feat. The only other show that will be able to have the staying power is American Idol, but that's not so suprising.

Survivor, the show that everyone dogs on and hates and ridicules and makes fun of, consistently draws in millions of viewers every season. As long as the ratings don't dip anywhere below 12 milliion viewers i tihnk it'll be safe to assume that the show will be safel.

JR.
    I think they'd be better off with one "season" per year. I think people are getting tired of what is basically the same show with different contestants twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by xDC3x;2192936;
    But this is the thirteenth season, did anyone actually think they would be pulling in those HUMONGOUS numbers on the thirteenth season?

The fact that Survivor has had relatively consistent ratings is a feat. The only other show that will be able to have the staying power is American Idol, but that's not so suprising.

Survivor, the show that everyone dogs on and hates and ridicules and makes fun of, consistently draws in millions of viewers every season. As long as the ratings don't dip anywhere below 12 milliion viewers i tihnk it'll be safe to assume that the show will be safel.
    Sadly, some episodes of Cook Islands have been in the 12 million region.

At least it's not below.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast