+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Yul - Cook Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmonkey View Post
    You guys are overlooking something: his highschool has a varsity water polo team. Can you name any public schools with a water polo team? The only logical conclusion is that Yul attended a posh, expensive private school, which means his family is rich.
    I went to a public high school in a middle-class neighborhood, and we had a water polo team. It's a Southern California thing. I'm sure it says something about how much money his high-school gave to sports, but that doesn't make every student there rich.

But yes, his whole story does make it seem like he comes from an exceedingly privileged background, and has taken advantage of those opportunities. I think you could say the same thing for a lot, but not all, of these contestants.

Actually, I think class is more of a dividing factor than race is. That might have a lot to do with Cao Boi not fitting in with his tribe (or it could be that a fun TV character is annoying as heck to live with 24/7- yeah, it's probably that).
    Last edited by Aota Bass; 09-24-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    As far as the game of surivor goes, I still wonder what MB has up his sleeve with this guy -- the guy is a natural at this (smart as hell, build like a brick s*it house, speaks like a leader, non-offensive to all, camera-loves-him, on and on and on).
    Overall Yul's team has strong athletic backgrounds and even Cao Boi has a military background which should be an asset to being on Survivor. I was just disappointed that the same selective process appeared to be lacking for the Hiki tribe.

The description of the governmental work that Yul did seemed to be a much better fit for his diverse skill set than serving in the reserves.

this guy just grow on you.....

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    His fraternity is described as the largest/only Asian interest fraternity according to Google. Wikipedia says:
    Among the fraternity's many philanthropies is the Asian American Bone Marrow Donor Program (AADP) [1], Asians for Miracle Marrow Matches (A3M) [2] on the West Coast and the Cammy Lee Leukemia Foundation [3]. The philanthropy became a defining part of the fraternity nationwide after one of its brothers developed leukemia and wrote an open letter to Lambdas nationwide encouraging them to participate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_Phi_Epsilon
    So it sounds as if he might have been quite involved with the fraternity developing that interest.

Re why he didn't serve in the Marines... I assume that is a legal obligation if you go to the OCS program? Unless you don't finish? He "attended". Of course there is one group who might graduate with honors but then not be allowed to serve... vide the Don't ask, don't tell policy, which is often violated by people asking. Which might explain why his Korean American gal pal looks at him as a brother instead of as a potential boyfriend.

For someone who is only 31 and spent a lot of that time in school he's certainly crammed a lot of jobs into the last 6 years (assuming graduated from law school at 25). Of course some of them, like the clerking, would have been summer jobs during law school, but since then he's apparently practiced law at more than 2 firms ("several"), worked for Google, and been a "consultant" several times. With those kinds of clerkships and doing well at Stanford/Yale he should have had his pick of law jobs, but apparently didn't find one he liked. Also interesting that he isn't using his undergrad degree really, so far as we can see. Kind of a high level "drifter".
    Last edited by PWS; 09-27-2006 at 01:40 PM.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post

For someone who is only 31 and spent a lot of that time in school he's certainly crammed a lot of jobs into the last 6 years (assuming graduated from law school at 25). Of course some of them, like the clerking, would have been summer jobs during law school, but since then he's apparently practiced law at more than 2 firms ("several"), worked for Google, and been a "consultant" several times. With those kinds of clerkships and doing well at Stanford/Yale he should have had his pick of law jobs, but apparently didn't find one he liked. Also interesting that he isn't using his undergrad degree really, so far as we can see. Kind of a high level "drifter".
    Just a minor correction...his clerkship was a job that occurred after he graduated from law school, and not a summer job.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by i love tv View Post
    Just a minor correction...his clerkship was a job that occurred after he graduated from law school, and not a summer job.
    That leaves him even less time per job! I'd be worried about hiring this guy--may be smart but sure can't settle down. Hope he doesn't get bored with Survivor after 3 weeks!

FORT Fan
    Yul... :swoon

(just had to let that out)

I simply love the way he shared the immunity idol secret with becky. so sweet..
    M i r a c l e

CEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey Min View Post
    This guy is hard not to like. I'm waiting for the change in his edit...
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey Min View Post
    I was thinking last night that maybe he even GAVE it to her. It might have been a smart move: if she needs it, she uses it and Cecila still goes home. If she doesnt, then she brings it back to him. If she had to use it then yeah, it would have prohibited him from using it on himself later...but if his numbers were destroyed that early, then the idol would only get him so far anway. I think if I were in his position I would have given it to her....I wonder if he did and if we'll find out next week. I do like him a lot.

+ Reply to Thread