+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor 14 to be Set in Fiji

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by stickle;2129632;
    The thing is, if they set it in the Rockies say, in Canada or Washington maybe, in September, the days would still be plenty hot for the skimpy clothes, but the nights could get darn cold. Definitely too cold for just the palm frond shelters they have now, and it would certainly add a new interesting angle to the game.
    Probst said that while they'd love to do a cold location just to change it up, it wouldn't be any fun for the viewers who like to see bikinis and shirtless guys walking around Africa had a lot of criticism because the contestants never came out of their camp site (I know there was safety issues there but I don't know if they weren't allowed or just chose not to venture too far outside), so imagine a bunch of people huddling around a fire.

It would be kind of interesting, though, to do something like that (after all, if it's cold at night they can maybe get a romance that they seem to be after each season). I do miss the land locked locations, though, vs the islands.

Quote Originally Posted by stickle;2129632;
    The thing is, if they set it in the Rockies say, in Canada or Washington maybe, in September, the days would still be plenty hot for the skimpy clothes, but the nights could get darn cold. Definitely too cold for just the palm frond shelters they have now, and it would certainly add a new interesting angle to the game.
    There was a Survivor-type show like that on a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the show but, it was on the WB I believe. And it came on Sunday nights after or before the surf reality show, Boarding House. I think the group travelled along British Columbia and Washington state? It was interesting but, the plug was pulled just before the winner was announced because of ratings. Not enough skin I guess!

I remember a cute Asian-American/Canadian guy named Alan was close to winning I think.

Does anyone else remember this show?
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

FORT Newbie

Cold Show

I'm in the middle on this one. I'd like to see it a little more about surviving, but everyone likes to see the skimpy outfits. I love survivor and would hate to see it go away

What else, besides changing the climate, do you think they could do to spice it up? I didn't think this years attempt at seperating by race made that much difference. They just wanted to make people talk about it to encourage people to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;2132568;
    There was a Survivor-type show like that on a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the show but, it was on the WB I believe. And it came on Sunday nights after or before the surf reality show, Boarding House. I think the group travelled along British Columbia and Washington state? It was interesting but, the plug was pulled just before the winner was announced because of ratings. Not enough skin I guess!

I remember a cute Asian-American/Canadian guy named Alan was close to winning I think.

Does anyone else remember this show?
    Was that the one about surfers? And wasn't it another Burnett show? I might be thinking of something else (he's had a bunch of reality shows out, so it's hard to keep track).

I'm in the middle on this one. I'd like to see it a little more about surviving, but everyone likes to see the skimpy outfits. I love survivor and would hate to see it go away

What else, besides changing the climate, do you think they could do to spice it up? I didn't think this years attempt at seperating by race made that much difference. They just wanted to make people talk about it to encourage people to watch...
    Eventually, and sadly, Survivor will end one day. I do wonder if being off the air for years if maybe they'll bring it back with a new host, new producers and a new audience. I don't think changing the climate is the key. From my own point of view, I think it relies with casting first, and then the show. The last few seasons, you get these blah people who blend together, the same old stand out characters, the obvious producers favorites, and a few people actually playing the game while the rest just give up or find someone strong to cling to and let them take them to the end, only to be bitter about being axed. And that's the other thing, don't pick people who are going to quit. I'm sure no one goes out there with that intention to give up (I'm sure it's a heck of a lot harder than anyone realizes) but I'd rather see people gung ho about the experience. Regarding the show, I think it's just become stale. Everyone knows at some point there's a merge, and a tribal shuffle. Make the challenges challenging, and I'd like to see them start off in one tribe and stay in one tribe. At each challenge, divide them up into two teams. The losers vote someone off. Maybe when there's still 12 people left mix up the challenges and have an individual immunity challenges. There's a lot of nit picky things I could probably come up with. But it'd be interesting to see how alliances would form if no one knew what "tribe" they'd end up on, and it might mean people would have to play the game and not let someone else do it for them. The whole tribes divided by race was a pathetic stunt to get ratings and nothing more. They didn't even stay as the 4 tribes for that long. And what was the point? Just to make everyone happy that there were as many minorities as white people? I can buy Probst's explanation that more white people apply to the show over minorities, but I don't believe that only people like Osten, JoAnna, Sandra, and Ghandia stood out among them. People seemed more upset by the stunt and the fact that nearly everyone was recruited!

FORT Newbie

I agree

The "non white" people were from like new york and stuff. Its not like they were actually from Asia, and were really out of place with the people from US. I agree that it was just a stunt.

I can't think of a show that they let die, and then brought it back a few years later with a makeover can you? I bet if it dies, it'll be gone forever.

Casting is one of the most important parts I think, but they seem to cast opposite personalities to cause conflict, instead of just cool people. I hate watching all the arguing and junk.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I'd like to see them get back to casting "Average Americans". That's something they haven't done too much of for awhile. It seems more and more are "recruited" for either looks or they think they will bring drama or they are wannabe actors that will fake it to get camera time. Stop with the formulas they think will work-half the time they don't. How many times have they been disappointed because contestants give them what they are looking for in order to get cast but then are nothing like that once on the island?

The race twist seems like just a stupid stunt/hype to grab viewers but never amounts to anything as usual.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    One good thing that might come out of the race teams is that I'm pretty sure all the publicities made more minorities watch the show...so hopefully that means more will be hooked and will apply to be on it...so in the future they can have more minorities w/o having to search so hard for them.

FORT Newbie

Ahh Normal people!

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2133418;
    I'd like to see them get back to casting "Average Americans". That's something they haven't done too much of for awhile. It seems more and more are "recruited" for either looks or they think they will bring drama or they are wannabe actors that will fake it to get camera time. Stop with the formulas they think will work-half the time they don't. How many times have they been disappointed because contestants give them what they are looking for in order to get cast but then are nothing like that once on the island?

The race twist seems like just a stupid stunt/hype to grab viewers but never amounts to anything as usual.
    Yeah, that's a good point too. I liked when they were just normal people who didn't really know what was going on. Richard Hatch form the unheard of "Alliance", and the people on the show weren't wanna be actors. The Amazing Race has kept more normal people the Survivor, and I'd say Big Brother has the most recruited type people.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetAngel88;2134205;
    Yeah, that's a good point too. I liked when they were just normal people who didn't really know what was going on. Richard Hatch form the unheard of "Alliance", and the people on the show weren't wanna be actors. The Amazing Race has kept more normal people the Survivor, and I'd say Big Brother has the most recruited type people.
    Interesting thing about Big Brother. David (from TAR) said on his interview with Regis/Kelly that he originally applied for Survivor but was asked to appear on TAR instead. That's really nothing new to discover in the world of reality TV and we could probably all come up with a list of 100 or so contestants who applied for other shows before being selected for the one they finally showed up on. But while I've seen a few people go on BB who applied to either Survivor or TAR, I tend to hear more from TAR/Survivor contestants that applied to one of those two shows but wound up on the other. Never too many BB rejects (only one I can remember is way back to Clarence from Africa, and I think Rob from the Amazon was, too) and I don't know of many TAR or Survivor rejects that showed up on BB (Erika is the only one I can think of off the top of my head). I did put in another thread why I think BB tends to cast the way they do, and why they may not get a very diverse line up (not in terms of race but in terms of people with the backgrounds we see on Survivor and TAR). Looking back to the first Survivor I find it hard to believe that many of those same contestants would have made it on in later seasons. While TAR has gone for the young, the pretty, and the wannabe recruited models/actors I do think they'd tended to stick with casting real people more so than the other two shows have. Survivor really seems anymore that the cast was thrown together at the last minute (on that subject, Survivor Fiji is probably filming now as we speak. There weren't many spoilers for this season, either pre-show or even now, so I wonder if next season will be any different).

The "non white" people were from like new york and stuff. Its not like they were actually from Asia, and were really out of place with the people from US. I agree that it was just a stunt.
    Nothing against Californians but for crying out loud, they couldn't even go and recruit in other states? I think that may have gone over better. I think this season set a record for having the most out of the closet aspiring actors and musicians. That one guy who was voted off first said he was called and at first thought he was doing something with a TV show, but didn't know it was for Survivor.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;2132612;
    Was that the one about surfers? And wasn't it another Burnett show? I might be thinking of something else (he's had a bunch of reality shows out, so it's hard to keep track).
    I just looked it up. Boarding House is a Burnett show.

He's definately the King of RealityTV!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast