+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How many episodes until Race Wars merge?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I get somewhat of an irritating rub with all of this talk about tribes being divided by races...These people are being divided by ethnicities....they are all a part of the human race (not a Martian in the bunch).
    It's just semantics. The word "race" is commonly used to refer to skin colour, not country of origin (which doesn't apply here anyway as all contestants are American).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    It's just semantics. The word "race" is commonly used to refer to skin colour, not country of origin (which doesn't apply here anyway as all contestants are American).
    More than semantics. Ethnicity refers to culture and country of origin. Race refers to skin color. That's why anti-discrimination laws refer to both race and ethnicity as protected categories.

If MB really wanted to make a statement, then be sure to balance the number of men, women, young, old, people of asian, africian, and spanish decent. And just for a little fun, throw in a few Ausies. They talk cute and we may all get a kick out of learning a new vocabulary while watching this fluff. If you have an equal balance from the start, you don't have to draw attention to it by dividing them by race.

And whoever said it early is right. I think we were all a little annoyed by the token person of color in each tribe, the occasional person of Asian decent who would be allowed to play the game, oh and just for good measure, the Latino thrown in once every 4 seasons.

Well, this is a rotten idea. Why aren't they just calling this season "Survivor: My Race Is Better Than Your Race"?

I resent the fact that I'll be forced to type out crap like the "white team" and "black team" and in fact I think I won't do that. I'm just going to find some other way to identify these people that won't make me sound like someone I'm not.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Personally, I look forward to what this season brings us. This may just be real interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    .... I resent the fact that I'll be forced to type out crap like the "white team" and "black team" and in fact I think I won't do that. I'm just going to find some other way to identify these people that won't make me sound like someone I'm not.
    Im sure they'll have tribe names that reflect the local language, just like they always do.

Im sure they'll have tribe names that reflect the local language, just like they always do.
    So I wonder if they'll actually use them. Last season, although each of the four teams had tribe names, everyone still referred to them as older men, younger men, older women, younger women.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Well, this is a rotten idea. Why aren't they just calling this season "Survivor: My Race Is Better Than Your Race"?

I resent the fact that I'll be forced to type out crap like the "white team" and "black team" and in fact I think I won't do that. I'm just going to find some other way to identify these people that won't make me sound like someone I'm not.

Hi MsFroggy. There will be tribe names so it will work out and we can perhaps abbreviate if they are very long names to type. Too bad we don't have a little sidebar dictionary of icons for these sometimes long and complicated tribe names, as we do for the smileys, huh ?

I actually think I may find how different cultures approach tasks interesting -- but I suspect we will find more similarities than differences, and it may be much ado about doo doo.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So I wonder if they'll actually use them. Last season, although each of the four teams had tribe names, everyone still referred to them as older men, younger men, older women, younger women.
    Good point. I now recall Probst shouting that out during his "almost annoying enough to change channels" play by play at the challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Isn't that how Survivor/Probst described them ... and people just stuck with that ?

Has he been referring to them as Black and White or just "ethnicities"?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Isn't that how Survivor/Probst described them ... and people just stuck with that ?

Has he been referring to them as Black and White or just "ethnicities"?
    Man oh man, this could get ugly if we start thinking of nicknames for the tribes...

And the only problem with the tribenames is that half the time, we can't remember, pronounce, or spell at least one of the tribenames, so it's been easier to describe them in some other fashion.
    Last edited by totoro; 09-12-2006 at 08:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread