+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How many episodes until Race Wars merge?

Excellent post, starkissed! It will be interesting to see how cultural aspects and the resulting dynamics interplay.

Coming in a bit late, but I guess not all that late, since the show has not even aired it's first episode.

I'm with the people who think this is not a big deal. I guess I have more faith in people who want to be on this show. Faith in their own self-interest, that is. I think the "whites" throughout the history of this show have amply demonstrated that they are quite capable of hating "their own" and making alliances with persons of other races. In at least one example, blacks have too -- i.e. Ted and ?? (sorry, forgotten her name), Thailand I think. THAT brouhaha was based on SEX, even though they were the same race.

I suppose reverse racism may have factored in at some point. For example, this latest season, amongst the "older women". Cerie had a good chance of getting booted first. NOT wanting to be seen as a racist MAY have factored into the decision of the other two.

Contestants on this show have consistently stuck with the other players that they think are advantageous to themselves, and it never seems to have been about race. Sexual divisions have seemed far more prevalent. And since season 2 (Australia), I think EVERYONE goes in thinking about what's going to help them down the road. I foresee stronger, younger men of whatever race promptly (as soon as given the opportunity) forming alliances and shucking their weaker, older female cohorts without a backwards glance. It's happened many many times, and I see no reason for it not to happen again. Sexism and ageism are real prejudices in this country too, yet no one has threatened to boycott Survivor for them -- everyone watches to see how it plays out, and shrugs.

Another factor: The sneakiness of TPTB. I figure that amongst those five people of one race, there will be a great variety of age, background, education, attitude, and possibly even religious beliefs. I, on a tribe of five whites, would have a hard time forging any kind of bond with a right-wing Limbaugh lover. In fact, if Limbaugh is against the show's premise, that is several points in it's favor , from my point of view. From my prejudices about him, if you prefer! In any racial grouping, conservative Joe Constructionworker is still likely to be at odds with gay liberal Joe College. And if those aren't stereotypes, I don't know what is, but stereotypes or not, such people exist, and they don't like each other.

I am looking forward to having more members of different races, instead of the 2-3 token members. And to seeing how this plays out. And remember, TPTB control the editing, so once again, we'll be seeing the story they want us to see. How do we know that there haven't been numerous tensions previously?

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I have a "what if".

What if these people actually get along with each other (for the most part) and there are no problems attributed to race? Will it still be a bad thing? I'm sure we'll see arguements like we do every year that are tied directly to game-play, but I don't remember any of those being racial.

Also, just because you're in a tribe with people of the same ethnicity, does not mean you will all get along.
    And after the tribes have been without good food, lots of water and a good night sleep....it kind of breaks everything down to let's get food, shelter and water.
    Autism is a neurological disorder that impairs socialization and communication.Experts estimate that three to six children out of every 1,000 will have Autism spectrum disorder. Males are four times more likely to have ASD than females.* As of 2013, 1 in every 50 children is now affected by autism

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Another factor: The sneakiness of TPTB. I figure that amongst those five people of one race, there will be a great variety of age, background, education, attitude, and possibly even religious beliefs. I, on a tribe of five whites, would have a hard time forging any kind of bond with a right-wing Limbaugh lover. In fact, if Limbaugh is against the show's premise, that is several points in it's favor , from my point of view. From my prejudices about him, if you prefer! In any racial grouping, conservative Joe Constructionworker is still likely to be at odds with gay liberal Joe College. And if those aren't stereotypes, I don't know what is, but stereotypes or not, such people exist, and they don't like each other.
    ...LOL...you snuck in while I was writing my post
    Autism is a neurological disorder that impairs socialization and communication.Experts estimate that three to six children out of every 1,000 will have Autism spectrum disorder. Males are four times more likely to have ASD than females.* As of 2013, 1 in every 50 children is now affected by autism

Racism?

Survivor belongs to the Reality TV world, meaning it's marketable or something that people would wanna watch, heck, this hoo haa is exactly the vibe of reality tv, people go around PMSing about racism, social divide, country development retarding, political destruction... all the yada yada and still I guarentee someone will win the damn million dollars. I'm an Asian but my vote isn't biased to Asians unless they really deserved it. Talking about racism, isn't Survivor racist all along? In every season on average there are about 16 - 18 people and please do the maths, how many of them are blacks, asian or hispanic? Even if there are those combo combined in one season they couldn't outnumber the Causcasians and here we are PMSing about racism? Bah, this is Reality TV, you're not happy with it, don't watch it. To those affected by racisms, this is the real world. We are discriminated in our own ways, do give way to this show to prove itself that this isn't some instigation of Racial Division War. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone but these are just my humble points of view.
    All Hail Omarosa

can anyone say cheap, desperate publicity stunt? This isn't some deep social experiment on survivors part- it's a bid to get attention as their rating continue to decline. as pointed out in the previous post, survivor isn't exactly known for it's diversified casting. it's funny how suddenly they have room for five people from each of the chosen ethnic groups.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    can anyone say cheap, desperate publicity stunt? This isn't some deep social experiment on survivors part- it's a bid to get attention as their rating continue to decline. as pointed out in the previous post, survivor isn't exactly known for it's diversified casting. it's funny how suddenly they have room for five people from each of the chosen ethnic groups.
    Probst loses points claiming this wasn't a stunt when he said not enough minorities apply to the show, yet they had to recruit nearly the entire cast. Recruiting is nothing new but if they cared about having enough diversity they could have been recruiting minorities a long time ago. This is a stunt and they'll milk it for all it's worth. It's certainly getting people talking, in a mostly negative way, and I think it may help the show in the first few weeks with ratings but after that it'll just go back to being typical Survivor and most likely the people tuning in just for the racial conflict will tune out.

Kicked out of the hive dzzyedge's Avatar
    I'm a very big Survivor fan, so I do plan to watch. I have to admit I was a little shocked, and maybe that isn't even the right word, when I heard about this concept. At first I thought it was a way to get people to come back and 'pump' up the ratings, but as someone else mentioned, if it's their intention, it's not going to hold much interest, UNLESS there is some controversy.

Maybe I watch for the wrong reasons.....

Those of us fortunate to live in Hawaii find this whole concept to be amusing. We don't separate ourselves here, as they do nearly everywhere else, into separate neighborhoods/communities based on race or ethnicity. We are such a small place spread among several islands and so thoroughly mixed by marriage and birth, the whole idea of being split into racial and/or ethnic groups is laughable.

Where would multi-racial people (the "majority" in Hawaii) be placed in such a set up. Someone like my granddaughter who is a mix of four races (Caucasian, Polynesian, Asian, and the "ethnicity" of Hispanic) would be hard pressed to choose a group to join. So I guess multi or bi-racial people are out of this particular Survivor, or are they just randomly putting them with the group they look the most like?

Even given these rather stupid conditions, I think the concept is kind of intriguing. I like that there are more than the standard token "minorities" being represented in equal parts, but I find the idea of separating them into separate groups disturbing. But, I also see the need to present something new and different to spice things up on this aging show. I just don't know if this is the right way to go about it.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dzzyedge View Post
    I'm a very big Survivor fan, so I do plan to watch. I have to admit I was a little shocked, and maybe that isn't even the right word, when I heard about this concept. At first I thought it was a way to get people to come back and 'pump' up the ratings, but as someone else mentioned, if it's their intention, it's not going to hold much interest, UNLESS there is some controversy.

Maybe I watch for the wrong reasons.....
    That's pretty much the point I was getting at. The whole point of this stunt is to try to grab new viewers and lure old ones back to the show in hopes they'll like it and stick with it. But most of those viewers are probably going to tune in to watch the racial tensions between the tribes. We all know that within a few episodes the tribes will be mixed up anyway and then it's back to the usual Survivor. To keep the viewers who tuned in to watch a clash of the races I think they'll still make it seem like everything is divided on race. I doubt any new viewer or old viewer that hasn't watched in a long time would stick around otherwise. But what matters to them is drumming up controversy and buzz and they're doing that and will at least have this moment if the show doesn't turn into an all out race war. I've stuck with Survivor since the beginning, through the good and the boring, so I'll be watching this season. Hopefully the cast is interesting.

+ Reply to Thread