+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor 13' Contestants Announced!

Do I have this right???

Racism does NOT exist in schools and colleges,
    Racism does NOT exist in the workplace,
    Racism does NOT exist in restaurants and bars,
    Racism does NOT exist in sports - both the players and the fans,

but as soon as dividing tribes ethnically on a reality show happens we suddenly have racism?

JP said, and I always believed, that Survivor is a social game. It's a social game that puts a group of people though harsh, stressful conditions - lack of food, lack of water, lack of sleep, and challenges in conditions that many people would find difficult. It is also a competition, and part of the stress is to win the competition. Does skin color give one ethnicity an advantage over another under all these stresses? I think the person with character, conditioning, smarts (problem solving and no serious mistakes) and the ability to get along has a chance to be a millionaire - and skin color won't enter into that equation.

The media, and those who choose to define this as a racial situation are exposing their personalities more than they are explaining a game that they haven't seen. Personally, I see it as Survivor - Cook Islands, and I'm looking forward to the new season - what will be, will be.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by dawg View Post
    Do I have this right???

Racism does NOT exist in schools and colleges,
    Racism does NOT exist in the workplace,
    Racism does NOT exist in restaurants and bars,
    Racism does NOT exist in sports - both the players and the fans,

but as soon as dividing tribes ethnically on a reality show happens we suddenly have racism?
    Huh? Who said any of that?

You're right, Survivor is a social game, and dividing the participants up into what are, there's really no denying it, unless one is blind, deaf and dumb, into socially charged groups, is obviously intended to have an impact.

My point was that the potential for good to come of this is very low compared to the potential for bad to come of it. The natural backstabbing and lying that come with the show will only be highlighted, in negative ways.

Or maybe I'm just in the remedial section with my dunce hat on, and am too stupid to understand why this division makes no difference, or can in fact lead to everyone holding hands and singing "Feelings".

I know that I won't be watching, though, to find out. Maybe I'm being closed minded, but the whole concept that someone came up with this idea, and someone else in a decision making position said to themselves, "That's for me! This is as good as it can get for this show this season!" repulses me.

I'm also not understanding, if diversity was the goal, since they rounded up an equal number of participants from each of their target groups, why not place one from each group on each initial tribe? That would have accomplished the stated goal, without the same potential for volatility.
    Last edited by MissThing; 08-27-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Newbie
    The format of the upcoming show doesn't bother me. People who look for racial issues are going to find them no matter what and that is sad. The program got blasted last year for being boring so they have come up with a new concept hopefully to gain back lost viewers. Looking forward to the new season.

I made that statement because racism exists Ö and I expect that every one on the non-white tribes have experienced first hand the hatred and intolerance of racism, just as I suspect many posters on this forum have been the recipients of racial slurs and behavior.

I donít doubt that different ethnicities have different ways of solving problems Ö thatís cultural, not racist. Racism, and prejudice, is when one person lives and behaves as if they are superior. I contend that itís not just race that brings out intolerance and hatred. I believe that many people do make judgements according to color, but itís not the person they are judging that is the real problem; itís the person making the judgement.

As far as this season goes, I do not expect to see hatred, intolerance, and opinions of superiority from start to finish. I do expect to see the tribes solving situations from their culture, knowing they have support, and I expect to see differences in those solutions Ö and, in a way, I expect I will learn about differences in cultures from this season. I hope the tribes are able to stay separate for several episodes so that they will feel support, rather than be absorbed into a group that sees differences rather than similarities.

On the other hand, I donít expect racial tensions to be suddenly overcome throughout the world just because of this show. But then, will racial tensions worsen because of Survivor? I doubt it. People are who they are. If Survivor is the main source from which a person develops a personality and a philosophy, then they have a real problem.

Everyone is free to choose whether they watch this season or not. I chose not to watch TAR after 2 episodes of the family season, just as I chose to change the channel during last years BB during the second episode. If your principles determine that you wonít watch, I respect that Ö but for me I expect to be entertained. If it becomes a social exercise in hatred and intolerance, I will join you on the sideline. But Iím not going to make that judgement until I have seen some of the show.

I agree with those who have stated that this season is in response to the fans that have demanded something different and less predictable. And I ditto those who commented that it's all about ratings. I think it's more of an effort to bring back former fans who tired of the repetiveness of the show, rather than trying to bring in millions of new fans. And the media will do - and already have done - their part in promoting the show.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

Well I'm one of those former fans who tired of the show about four seasons ago. This new concept has me curious to see at least the first couple of episodes, so in that respect their marketing idea is working on at least some of us past watchers.

FORT Newbie
    A couple of things. First, I agree with Jasmar...and to expand a bit, the whole concept of "race" has no biological standing whatsoever. However, it does have *huge* social implications and is understandably a hot button in our society. It is precisely the hot button that Survivor wanted to press to get people talking (as we are) and to hopefully re-generate interest in their sagging ratings. While this game is a social Darwinism game, I personally think it's a cheap ploy and B.S. If ,as they've explained, they wanted to address issues relating to criticisms in not *recruiting* a diverse enough cast, they would have *recruited* and integrated their cast to live among each other with ALL ethnicities represented. They will probably do that down the road, but starting out with four ethinically diverse divisions is going down a socially unresponsible road in my opinion. It will feed stereotypes held by close-minded, ignorant people, while doing very little good in my opinion.

And next, to address my choice of words: "recruiting" and "recruited". As a long-time fan, it's obvious how much of this cast was recruited (13 of 20 hailing from California). They have recruited in the past, but not so heavily. It's too bad because I can tell you that here in the midwest, as well as throughout this country, we have many, many wonderful ethnicities represented...real people for "reality television"...not people who have agents who've made contacts with casting people through the years. I simply do not believe that there aren't interesting people applying from ALL ethnic backgrounds.

I know there's very little reality in reality television, but this looks to be a contrived, cheap and uninteresting season IMHO. As a long-time fan and previous applicant of Survivor, I'm just not all that interested in Survivor: California Edition. :down

Thanks for giving me a forum to vent my frustrations!!

Hey, let's go with division of religions next time . . a Muslim team, Christian team, Buddhist team, Jewish Team, and just to be contrary, throw in a team of atheists. Now that would be volatile!!

Separate issue - where is the male eye candy this year? The only hunk is possibly/probably gay (if we stereotype because he was a model and is now a fashion coordinator). Darn . .
    Last edited by aname; 08-29-2006 at 08:21 PM.

FORT Regular
    I think the idea of dividing the teams based on race is brilliant! Racial divides are an important issue for people to face and discuss rather than attempting to pretend they dont exist. Not only will it be interesting to see how the social dynamics play out within the tribes themselves, but I think it will also be useful for viewers to see and recognize that there are cultural boundaries and differences among americans. We arent all the same, and there is no reason to pretend like we are.

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLookAway View Post
    I think the idea of dividing the teams based on race is brilliant! Racial divides are an important issue for people to face and discuss rather than attempting to pretend they dont exist.
    And a program where winning is based on lying, backstabbing, breaking one's word is an ideal forum for this type of open discussion? Sorry, I call BS on that - it's just a marketing ploy. How many audience members have ever taken away functioning life knowledge from watching Survivor? It isn't a teaching mechanism, and it won't be presented to us in its whole cloth form - it'll be editted (as it always is) to death. So, what ever open discussion takes place, we aren't going to see it.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    Separate issue - where is the male eye candy this year? The only hunk is possibly/probably gay (if we stereotype because he was a model and is now a fashion coordinator). Darn . .
    FWIW, according to this article at the Entertainment Weekly website, Brad is openly gay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast