+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Terry: Exile Island

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs View Post
    He could only make the final two if he won the final immunity. Danielle and Aras would have both lost to him, because in the end, he gained more "friends" on the jury than either of them.
    I wonder... Jeff didn't ask how many of the jury members would have voted for Terry over Aras, so we'll never know. I wouldn't have bet either way, because I think it could have gone either way. But we'll never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Danielle did not stab Terry in the back she merely OUTPLAYED him per the dictates of the game.
    There is no rule that says you have to be a back-stabbing lier to play Survivor. Yes, some have won without being that. Even crazy Shane asked to be let out of the alliance he had originally agreed to, probably so he could feel free to vote out the people he couldn't stand -eh, he couldn't ethically vote someone out after he originally agreed he wouldn't.

It was interesting to hear how many people would do something nasty and then say, "it's just this game". Well, I say it's not the game that makes people do nasty things - it's greed. You will never hear someone say, "I'm really greedy and I will do whatever it takes to win that million!" They find it necessary to lie to themselves and blame the game. As Survivors get close to that million dollars they make all kind of excuses for their unethical behavior. That's why I commend Terry and the very few others that can keep some integrity in this game.

Terry was able to keep his integrity in this game because he was never in a position to have to vote one of his own off. Casaya took care of his alliance after the merge, and he was never in a position where he needed to make/break an alliance afterwards, because he was a lone wolf. We'll never know what he might have been capable of if the situation had been reversed.

What he did seem to have no problem with, though, is asking and expecting others to lie and backstab their alliance for his benefit. He tried again and again to get Casaya people to flop, to lie, to go against their group and join his. So, is that ok? Sort of nasty but once removed? He was all about getting people to break their word as long as it suited his plans. I wouldn't put him on that high of a pedestal.

Snoozin' on the beach
    We have no idea what terry would have done if he wasn't the lone wolf. We do know that Aras wasn't the lone wolf and had no problem with asking and expecting others to backstab their alliance for his benefit and he still claims "integrity". I wouldn't put him on that high a pedestal.

Aras already failed the "what if" test that actually happened, we can only guess how Terry would have done, we'll never know. What applies to Terry, applies to Aras as well
    Last edited by Shady64; 05-17-2006 at 06:53 PM.

But that is just my point. I don't set Aras up on a pedestal...I don't set anyone who plays this game in that position because I think it's really unfair to them...everyone is human, and more often than not if you're going to win this game you're going to have to deceive someone.

I still think Aras is young and idealistic, and while he did seem to make some boneheaded moves, I think he felt he was as true to his own set of morals as he could be. Do others think so? Most likely not! As long as he can sleep at night, then all the power to him. Hopefully the $1 million will buy a really comfy pillow...

There has been a huge discussion about morals/values/ideals within the game of Survivor on another message board I read. A lot of people feel that to claim, as Shane did, that he was stabbed in the back and "broken" was just ridiculous. The further you get in the game the more likely it is you will have to deceive someone, before they deceive you. Shane had no intention of keeping his word to Aras, he was just bitter Aras got to him first.

I can also cut them all (even Terry!) a little slack, since what goes on in this surreal environment may not necessarily reflect on the kind of person you are in real life. It's a game.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I still think Aras is young and idealistic, and while he did seem to make some boneheaded moves, I think he felt he was as true to his own set of morals as he could be. Do others think so? Most likely not!
    What I don't understand is if Aras felt he was as true to his own set of morals as he could be, Terry also felt he was as true to his own set of morals as well. Maybe I am reading your notes wrong. It sounds like Aras is getting the positive benefit of the doubt and Terry automatically is getting no benefit of the doubt.

Personally I think the whole morals/value thing in this game is a crock. With 16 people and only 2 that get to the end, everyone is going to have to backstabbed someone else at some point. You may not have targeted me this time or even thought about it but sooner or later in the coming 38 days you will, so I am justified in booting you now, 3 days from now or whenever I feel like. Betrayal is a betrayal no matter how you slice it, whether you are on the giving end or recieving end of it. The silly part is when people try to rationalize it. It's an inescapable part of the game. I think Aras' claim of you were going to do it to me was just as ridiculous as Shane's claim. They are both trying to avoid the blame game

Well, I have to say that even though Terry bugs the crap out of me (I am just not a fan of the alpha male jock) I do give him the benefit of the doubt in some of his actions. Of course, his back was against the wall from the merge on, and good on him for winning all those challenges and screwing up everyone else's plans for him. I think his behaviour to Cirie about the torch was overblown, arrogent and very demeaning, but I agree that he was just really ticked off that his F2 choice had been voted off. Eh, he reacted like a jerk, IMO, but I can understand that he needed to blow off steam. Maybe not the smartest thing to do at that point in the game, but understandable. *still think he should have apologized though...*

What I didn't like, and what stands out to me, is Terry continually nattering on about how he was the more mature one, and how these were 24 year old kids etc, but I don't feel he acted in a very mature manner much of the time. Or else maybe his idea of maturity and mine are very different. C'est la vie.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    I think his behaviour to Cirie about the torch was overblown, arrogent and very demeaning, but I agree that he was just really ticked off that his F2 choice had been voted off.
    By the way... what happened there? I missed the first part of the episode.. I am hearing a lot about it and I don't know what people are talking about

FORT Fogey
    Terry was able to keep his integrity in this game because he was never in a position to have to vote one of his own off. Casaya took care of his alliance after the merge, and he was never in a position where he needed to make/break an alliance afterwards, because he was a lone wolf. We'll never know what he might have been capable of if the situation had been reversed.
    Terry had an alliance early on with Dan. Yet, when it came down to voting Ruth Marie or Sally off, Terry had no problem disregarding anything Dan said or thought on the matter, because Terry just knew he was smarter about it than Dan. Then, the first time he had a decision, he cut his alliance with Dan and knifed him in the back in order to form an new alliance with what he perceived were stronger players who could help him get farther in the game. Please, people, let's not slam Aras and make Terry out to be a saint. Terry didn't knife anyone in the back after the merge because he didn't have the numbers and didn't have the social skills to get any Casaya members to turn. And we've seen in the past (such as with Danni), that if you're smart and you use your people skills, sometimes you can turn people and make them your allies. Terry relied too much on the physical part of the game and sucked at the social part. He lied, he backstabbed, he was stupid, and he lacked social skills. Great role model, if you ask me. 'Nuff said.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar
    Edited because the first question was answered in the last paragraph of his profile on the first page (Airbus 300).

Now, has anyone flown with him? I'd love to. He's the kind of person I want in charge of my safety.

+ Reply to Thread