+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce: Exile Island

Bruce: Exile Island

From the official site:
    Bruce Kanegai is a third generation Japanese American who grew up in Los Angeles. During the 1960's, he received the Boy Scout rank of Eagle Scout and the rank of Black Belt from the Shotokan Karate School. Kanegai received his Bachelor of Arts degree from California State University, Northridge. He also received his teaching credentials for the State of California.

For the past 34 years, Kanegai has been teaching art at Simi Valley High School, where he has taught over 10,000 students. He had been awarded "Teacher of the Year" from The International Rotary Club, The Bravo Award from the Los Angeles Music Center, The Amgen Corporation, The Pasadena Art Center College of Design and the Otis/Parsons Art School.

Kanegai is a fifth-degree black belt in karate and has taught more than 7,000 students over about 40 years. In 1967, he was a member of the first US karate team to visit Japan. In 2000, Kanegai was promoted to the highest ranking black belt in the Shotokan Karate of America. In 2004, he was a judge at Shotokan's 40th Anniversary celebration in France. Kanegai is currently in the process of finishing a book on the 50-year history of the Shotokan Karate of America.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Kanegai was a top backpacking instructor for Moorpark Community College, the Yosemite Institute and many private organizations. Some of his backpacking highlights include hiking the entire state of Oregon and, in 1980, setting a new record of running the 220-mile John Muir Trail from Mount Whitney to Yosemite National Park.

From 1978-1992, Kanegai was a POST (Police Officer Survival Training) Instructor in California. Under the Downey-Roth System, Kanegai assisted in teaching police instructors arrest and control techniques, weapon retention and the side-handle baton.

Kanegai is a member of the California Art Educators Association and Shotokan Karate of America. His hobbies include photography, drawing, hiking, golfing and skiing. He has had several close brushes with death, including being bitten by a large rattlesnake while golfing three years ago.

Kanegai currently lives in Simi Valley, California, with his wife of 27 years, Nancy. They have two children, Alexander and Danielle, and one dog, Chako. His birth date is December 17, 1947.
    Favourites:

Colors Blue
    Scents Barbequed steak
    Flowers Rose
    Board Games Risk, Scrabble
    Video Games No favorite
    Sports to Play Karate
    Sports Teams Los Angeles Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, UCLA
    Outdoor Activities Hiking, photography, gardening
    TV Shows SURVIVOR, ESPN, sports
    Movies Seven Samurai, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings
    Actors Robert De Niro, Keanu Reeves, Tom Hanks
    Actresses Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster
    Music Classical to heavy metal
    Magazines National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Southwest Art
    Books/Authors Stephen King, James Patterson, Clive Cussler
    Cereals Honey Bunches of Oats
    Fruits Mango, grapes, banana, peach, apple
    Snack Foods Doritos
    Cookies White chocolate with macadamia nuts
    Candy Bars Snickers, Butterfinger
    Alcoholic Drinks Good tequila, wine, vodka
    Non-Alcoholic XS, Pepsi, iced tea

I like this guy. He's the first profile I've clicked on and he's an early favorite for me. No specific reason. Just a hunch. I bet he goes far. He looks like the type of older guy that could lead with a sense of humor so that he doesn't appear to be leading. Those guys rarely win, but usually go pretty far.

Besides, anyone who's favorite smell is barbequed steak is all right by me.

And, I might add, he's a Star Wars fan.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

An Eagle Scout and a Black Belt? Awesome! I'm with you, Stargazer, this guy looks great. You can tell by his laugh lines that humor has been a big part of his life.

I like him, too. He sounds like he can kick rear, I hope it's true.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Smell of steak. Oh yeah, he's got my approval.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I am liking this one, too. So far not many duds.

He looks like a fun guy...I like him.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I think Bruce will turn out to be one of the most interesting players this year; he seems to have very diverse interests and experience. He's my favorite out of the profiles I've looked at so far; I just hope he's in excellent shape for his age!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Now those "Go back to California" tales from Oregon make more sense:

"Some of his backpacking highlights include hiking the entire state of Oregon"

'What the #&@! are you doing trapsing across our bed?!'

"He also received his teaching credentials for the State of California"..."He has had several close brushes with death"

'Just passing through, backpacking the entire state of Oregon. As long as I'm here though, it looks like you could use some instruction on your technique. Fortunately I happen to be credentialed...'

Snoozin' on the beach
    I'm liking him too. I love the karate thing, it will keep his mind an body occupied during down time. He's got quite a different background in several areas. My one of my favorite profiles so far

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast