+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Idol?

The Idol?

Does anyone know for sure now that Gary found the idol and used it........

1. Will it be hidden again for use each week until the final 4?
    2. Will Gary be able to keep it and therefore make him immune to the votes
    each week?
    3. Could he give it to another person to use if he felt safe from the vote.
    4. Or was it a one time only twist in the game.

I personally think it would have been more interesting if they had been able to hide it each week. That way alliances would be turned around and the outcome would be less predictable. Not to mention giving Danni and Gary a shot at staying in the game even being in the minority. And it would give them something to do besides just sit around. Hope is a grand thing.
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    Does anyone know for sure now that Gary found the idol and used it........

1. Will it be hidden again for use each week until the final 4?
    2. Will Gary be able to keep it and therefore make him immune to the votes
    each week?
    3. Could he give it to another person to use if he felt safe from the vote.
    4. Or was it a one time only twist in the game.

I personally think it would have been more interesting if they had been able to hide it each week. That way alliances would be turned around and the outcome would be less predictable. Not to mention giving Danni and Gary a shot at staying in the game even being in the minority. And it would give them something to do besides just sit around. Hope is a grand thing.
    I think the consensus is that the answer to #1 and #2 is No and to #4 is Yes. We don't know about #3, but since Jeff didn't ask if he wanted to use it for himself or someone else I'm guessing he had to use it on himself.
    It was a nice twist---altho putting it up in a tree hollow certainly favored Gary finding it over Lydia.

Yeah you would think they would put it where ALL of the people would have an equal chance to see it just walking around. Hummm something to think about.

Wonder if it was placed to "help" Gary more than the others since he is the tallest?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettO
    Yeah you would think they would put it where ALL of the people would have an equal chance to see it just walking around. Hummm something to think about.
    Wonder if it was placed to "help" Gary more than the others since he is the tallest?

I seriously doubt the idol was moved to a higher location in the trees once it was realized that Gary was in trouble. It was set in its location from the beginning, and anybody looking up could see it, despite their height. It's not like it was at Gary's eye level or anything; he had to look up to find it, just as Lydia would have to. You could argue that putting the idol any lower was just a ploy to help someone short like Lydia find it, but that would be just as ridiculous. Sometimes it's impossible to make a task equally fair for everyone, but the producers do their best.

But you have to admit by placing it up high it would make it impossible for someone like Lydia or any of the shorter people to find the idol and keep it a secret. They would have had to drag something over to stand on to retrieve the idol and bring attention to themselves doing so.

I think it should have been in hands reach of all the players so ALL could keep it a secret about finding it and keeping it until they felt vulnerable and in danger of being voted off.

FORT Upperclassman
    As for another twist with the Idol, I could envision that, in another Survivor auction/Reward challenge, that it could be put on the auction table after the bidding for the letters from home. This would draw some interesting reactions from the contestants, something the show tries to create for the promos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moekle
    As for another twist with the Idol, I could envision that, in another Survivor auction/Reward challenge, that it could be put on the auction table after the bidding for the letters from home.
    That's a very interesting idea, and one that would be intriguing to watch. However, I think it would work better if the Survivors knew that the idol was up for bids , but that bidding on letters/tapes/whatever from home came first. It would be interesting to see how much each person is really willing to give up for immunity.

I share Cable101's skepticism. We have no evidence that it was moved. We have no evidence that Gary is getting preferential treatment, or that the smaller players are being discriminated against. I'm not going to atribute Gary's find to anything other than disregarding Judd's "hint." to spending the time looking for it, and luck.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by cable101

I seriously doubt the idol was moved to a higher location in the trees once it was realized that Gary was in trouble. It was set in its location from the beginning, and anybody looking up could see it, despite their height.
    i thought 2 episodes back they showed the idol hidden among the rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by |eogeO
    i thought 2 episodes back they showed the idol hidden among the rocks?
    The idol was most definitely shown in a tree from the very first mention of it (in the Episode 8 promos). The Insider video that shows Gary retrieving the idol proves that it was still in a tree when Gary found it. The reason the tree may have looked like rocks to you is because the ceiba tree the idol was hidden in had a very strange pattern on it (not to mention a gray tone on the bark that could be confused for rock).

Edit:
    For reference, here's the shot of the idol from the Episode 8 promo:

And here's a shot of Gary climbing up to retrieve it from the tree, as seen in the Insider video:
    Last edited by cable101; 11-13-2005 at 08:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast