+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' now the fittest reality series

'Survivor' now the fittest reality series

'Survivor' now the fittest reality series

1 hour, 40 minutes ago
    Robert Bianco USA TODAY

Who would have guessed we'd come to think of Survivor as the reality genre's classy dowager?

Yet there you have it. Once seen as risky, and even risque, programming, Survivor: The Amazon (CBS, 8 p.m. ET/PT) now seems like the height of high-road TV. Compared with its seedier imitators, it's well produced, the locations are exotic, and the contestants have more on their minds than their prospective marital status.

Sure, the show has had its problems along the way -- Africa was too sour; Thailand was too dull. But next to Are You Hot?, its competitor tonight on an increasingly sad and desperate ABC, Amazon looks like The West Wing. Or what West Wing would look like if it were filled with hot bodies and surrounded by anacondas, crocodiles and piranhas.

Considering all the advance publicity, Amazon's big twist may not surprise you, but it's nevertheless a good one: The tribes are divided along gender lines. The tape provided by CBS was not complete enough for a full review (which is why there's no star rating above). But already it seems as though the boys-vs.-girls split will add an interesting dynamic, both in the way the tribes act and interact.

What you learn in tonight's 90-minute introduction is that the guys are stronger, better organized and far more likely to say something jaw-droppingly stupid than the women. They're fabulously unevolved, terrified at the idea of facing their friends if they lose to a team of women, and equally terrified by the prospect of going home without ''hooking up.''

Otherwise, what's most remarkable is that even after all this time, people continue to make the same mistakes. No one, apparently, has told Roger that it's dangerous to come across as bossy, or told Ryan and Daniel that it's almost always fatal to be branded as lazy. As for Janet, I'm sure she can't help being older and ill, but in Survivor, that's never a winning mix.

On the plus side, there already are a few contestants who look as if they'll be able to inspire a rooting interest. For now, I'm cheering for Christy, the game's first hearing-impaired player, who knows she's at a disadvantage but doesn't whine about it.

Of course, it never pays to place your bets too soon with Survivor.

But it's off to a strong start, and that's what we want from one of the genre's class acts.

Oh, I'm so excited!

We're having our big kickoff party tonight. Food, folks, and fun. And several Survivor prizes to give away. It's always a blast.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

searching for reality voyager265's Avatar
    I'm excited too. But no party... I like to watch with no one around so they don't chit chat. My family is allowed to watch with me if they only talk during commercials.
    My Schwann's guy comes on Thursday night and I already told him that if he shows up during "Survivor" he might as well get comfortable and wait for commercials. Luckly I am his last call of the night.
    I plan on recording "Are You Hot" so I can check it out, too.
    Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Voy!!!! That is funny as hell.

I don't watch with anyone either for the same reason. In fact, I turn off the phone.

And yeah, the Schwan's guy would be history if he ever thought Thurdsay was an acceptable day for delivery!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

We'll watch it AGAIN after the party so we can hear everything.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Re: 'Survivor' now the fittest reality series

Originally posted by John
    They're fabulously unevolved, terrified at the idea of facing their friends if they lose to a team of women, and equally terrified by the prospect of going home without ''hooking up.''
    So let me get this straight: the guys are terrified that they might not "hook up" on Survivor? Since when do people go on Survivor to "hook up"?

If anyone allows themselves to get caught up in the artifice of the men vs. women thing, they have taken their eyes off the ultimate goal of winning the million and will make dumb decisions as a result, I think. The potential for stupid moves in this series seems greater because of certain players' preoccupations with the "battle of the sexes." Should be fun.

How was your party, Paulie? It was a really cool episode, so I'd imagine you guys had some fun
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

We had a great time! Thanks for asking. It was fascinating to see the men and women taking sides, especially during the Immunity Challenge. All the women were cheering for Jaburu at the end.

BTW, we gave away two prizes: the Saturn DVD () and an official Survivor backpack. Everyone at the party had an envelope with one Survivor's picture on it and several pieces of paper inside with that Survivor's name printed on them. Every time that Survivor's name was printed on the screen, they had to put a slip of paper into the pot. At the end of the show, I re-distributed the envelopes (so nobody would cheat and throw too many slips in the pot), then I just drew names from the pot and whoever had that Survivor won the prize. It was fun and kept people watching the show pretty intently. Like we wouldn't have, anyway, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast