+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    lopevian--to quote someone all you have to do is click on the button marked quote on the bottom right corner of their post--unless you have a very old computer that should work and it's easy---now putting something in spoiler quotes, that's hard!

Can we take the religion discussion back to a Survivor strategy point I raised earlier, since it's clear we (large group) aren't going to convince each other (different large group) on the issue of whether the social pressure to pray exists/matters in this situation (and if we keep this up the mods will reprimand us for non-Survivor discussion eventually)? Does anyone remember at this point who the prayers were besides Brian? Were they shown after the team mix? Or before? Are they on different teams now? Is anyone praying anymore? Might give us some bonding hints.
    The prayers were shown after the switch, Danni, Brandon, BJ, Gary, Amy, Blake and Brian. Since Blake is the only one who's gone now, I would guess they are still praying.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Thanks PWS for the help. I do hit the "quote" on the posters post, but when I post that, it doesn't show up in a box. My computer is old. It crashed last February, and really hasn't been the same since. Thanks again for your help!!

It looked as though Danni was leading the prayer. If she, BJ, Blake and Brandon prayed while at Nakum, we never saw it. Brian feeling he may be an endangered survivor if he didn't pray, that's why we saw it at camp Yaxha.

I think the great majority of people (at least I hope) respect those who wish to pray and those who don't wish to. Unless Brian's comment was based on something concrete, stating he would be ostrisized from the group...that sounds like a pre-conceived notion he has about folks who are religious...in which case...Brian is a stereotyping elitest snob. His comments about people from "T-E-X-A-S or OKKK-L-A-H-O-M-A" shows he's a "people categorizer". I bet he'd be downright INDIGNANT if ANYONE told him "you're just not my style". He would have a mouthful to say about how stupid they are...I just bet.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian
    Thanks PWS for the help. I do hit the "quote" on the posters post, but when I post that, it doesn't show up in a box. My computer is old. It crashed last February, and really hasn't been the same since. Thanks again for your help!!

It looked as though Danni was leading the prayer. If she, BJ, Blake and Brandon prayed while at Nakum, we never saw it. Brian feeling he may be an endangered survivor if he didn't pray, that's why we saw it at camp Yaxha.

I think the great majority of people (at least I hope) respect those who wish to pray and those who don't wish to. Unless Brian's comment was based on something concrete, stating he would be ostrisized from the group...that sounds like a pre-conceived notion he has about folks who are religious...in which case...Brian is a stereotyping elitest snob. His comments about people from "T-E-X-A-S or OKKK-L-A-H-O-M-A" shows he's a "people categorizer". I bet he'd be downright INDIGNANT if ANYONE told him "you're just not my style". He would have a mouthful to say about how stupid they are...I just bet.
    He made comments about people from Texas and Oklahoma? Isn't he from Kentucky?

ETA: Nevermind, for some reason I thought I read he was from Kentucky.

Pretty sure he's from Maine. cable101?

Pretty sure he's from Maine. cable101?
    Connecticut, don't know where I got Kentucky from.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by realityfan101
    Connecticut, don't know where I got Kentucky from.
    ]

You got it from Brandon. He's from Kentucky, "the great State of Kentucky". Thanks for the answer!

okay, that's just too funny. DBerk, hope you're laughing, I sure as heck am!

Don't want to offend anyone out there, but I have to share my thoughts on Brian and my own personal experience. I can see that Brian is the stereo-type of the "New England/Northern Elitist" - and believe me, they do exist. I am a NYer originally from Maryland and all through college and law school, the very liberal people I were surrounded with commented frequently on the "stupidity" and "ignorance" of people from the south. They often times made fun of accents in a mean-spirited way. These same people are some of my best friends and I have since enlightened them, but I believe it is an attitude they are raised with.

I see Brian, coming from New England - from an Ivy League School being very much the same way. He is young, so perhaps he hasn't had much experience with people from different regions. He seems to be the typical extremely liberal, pseudo intellectual that would take every chance to scoff at southern accents and deep rooted religion.

[ ]You got it from Brandon. He's from Kentucky, "the great State of Kentucky". Thanks for the answer!
    Nope, he's from Kansas so I have no idea where I got Kentucky from.

Okay that's it...I'm not answering anymore questions.
    Thanks Realityfan101.

Erica221, thanks for the insight. The flip side of the coin is some southerners have their very own stereotypes for "yanks". I live on the West Coast, and some people think I eat granola naked in a commune while I listen to the Grateful Dead. Sometimes people cannot be swayed in their notions, no matter how many times I tell them I don't do that anymore.

Clearly no state wishes to claim Fool's Platinum and who can blame them. I see him more as a transplant. He came from a small town and went to a fancy schmansy college in an area that he adopted as his own with a "style" to match.

lopevian- I trust you when you say you've mended your ways.

+ Reply to Thread