+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by realityfan101
    How were they shoving it down his throat? He wasn't held at knife point and forced to pray. He is a grown up, he could have said he wasn't religious and chosen not to participate.
    Er, you do get what I'm saying, right? When I go into the entire example of the difference between Ibrahim, who did not shove his religion down anyone's throat, and the group whose public prayer is making at least one member of their team uncomfortable? I did explain that fairly clearly, yes?

I understand arguing semantics for the sake of argument, but I'd like to assume that we all understand the bigger picture: the fact that Survivor is, above all, a social game, and any choice you take to make yourself a social outsider has game repercussions. This is not a microcosm of society as a whole. The question of whether Brian could or could not have said 'Hey, sorry, thanks, not going to pray' among a seven-person tribe in a Guatemalan jungle has absolutely no relation to the more general, real-world question of whether Brian could or could not have said the same thing in a restaurant in Manhattan.

I am not suggesting that the mealtime prayer was initiated for any sort of strategic reason -- but there is no question that Brian's participation in it is strictly strategic. if he does not participate, he brands himself as 'different,' 'outsider,' 'not One Of Us.' In short, think of that night's vote: it took effort to swing two Nakum away from Brian. If Brian had done something to alienate those two Nakum members -- offend them at dinner, perhaps? -- that vote could easily have gone a different way, and he might have been gone rather than Blake.

And my point is, it's a shame for someone to be put in that position over an expression of faith which should be private.

Tay

Quote Originally Posted by Tayven
    And my point is, it's a shame for someone to be put in that position over an expression of faith which should be private.
    But it's still his choice. If the game of Survivor means more to him than sticking up for his own beliefs, that's strictly his choice. He's free to do his own thing, just as Ibrehem did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Brandon
    Danni: " This is a really hard decision for me and you're a great guy but I think there are so many things that you've experienced in life that others haven't had the chance yet and that is why I want to give them the opportunity to play the game further."
    This sounds exactly like what Gary was saying to her. That Blake didn't deserve to go further in the game, and others did.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Good god, no. Thank god. It was Julie Berry (sp?). Or is Julie, rather.
    Remember when she had the I love Jeff on her cheek!

Okay, one more thing, and i promise thats it for me on this subject.
    FREEDOM OF RELIGION: "Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or beliefs, and freedom, either alone or in a community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or beliefs in teachiing, practice, worship, and observance". [I]

oops... sorry. this was suppost to be all one post.
    SURVIVOR ETIQUETTE: "as survivors you have the right to lie, backstab, cheat, shun, and insult your way to the top. Please however, refrain from public prayer as it may make a fellow castaway feel like an uncomfortable outsider"

sounds kinda silly doesn't it? also, the difference between Ibrehim (i'm a terrible speller) is that devout Muslims pray individually 5 times a day.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl
    So no one has any predictions as to who will be the last 2 standing?
    last night was the first time I ever watched this show and came away with any kind of strong feeling about F2. Though I don't have a prediction for both of them, I really think Judd will be one of the F2. last nights episode they showed Judd saying something like "He's king of the Jungle" in confessional and then they flashed on the howler monkey. They did that at least one other time ( and maybe 2 times). They show the same thing when he made the "top dog" comment and thumped on his chest last week after the tribal switch. I thought they did it again when he made the "get out of my jungle" comment but I didn't tape it and can't check. The howler monkey may be semi-strong in the jungle but its also an animal that just won't shut its mouth...very appropriate comparison to Judd, even though he's got girth and not strength going for him.

The other thing, Judd kept mentioning its a game for $1 mil and you have to get yourself far and that's what he's doing. he's right, Flipping and such has everything to do with it but If he's thinks he's so damn smart, why is he being an obnoxious a$$h@le to his tribmates for no good reason? Is it premature chicken counting that he can get rid of Margaret and Cindi before they reach the jury or is he just a complete idiot? I vote idiot. You never know who will be on the jury, being obnoxous to people is the fastest way to assure you will not get their vote if you make it to F2. I'd almost stretch and say he is making himself the goat that everyone will WANT to take/go against in F2 but its way to early and there's so much game left to go. Besides, he did it to 2 people he plans to get rid next anyway so it has no practical bearing. if he keeps this up (and it looks like he does next week), everyone will want to keep him around for F2 and they will win it instead of him. I'd certainly give it to anyone but him, and even seriously consider giving it to StephaME over him.

He is such a putz

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64
    I really think Judd will be one of the F2.
    Now, I feel a little nervous about saying anything about editing for this season, because Guatemala has some of the weirdest editing patterns I have ever seen, but I can guarentee Judd is not our winner (nor will he make the Final 2). He is being edited as the over-the-top, bumbling, strategic villian of sorts, and he is guarenteed a departure that fits this edit.

As to my thoughts on the Final 2, it looks like we're seeing two Yaxhas in it (original Yaxha, not new Yaxha). They're being edited as the more complex tribe (though Nakum has gotten closer in these last two episodes), so they will contain the winner. Plus, they've gone from being decimated by the shuffle to being in power on both tribes. Lydia is looking like a strong Final 2 candidate based on her underdog editing, and Rafe, Stephenie, and Gary are other possibilities. Editing-wise, Cindy is the only old Nakum member who had a chance of making it anywhere (I think she will have to be in the Final 4).

If I had to predict a Final 2 right now, I would say Lydia and Rafe. At the very least, I think we'll be seeing a Final 4 consisting of Lydia, Rafe, Stephenie, and Cindy.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I agree with you, the editing this season has been really odd. I've noticed such huge holes and gaps of things they aren't showing. Moreso than usual. At times I feel like i'm watching a film with a missing reel. So much either doesn't make sense or they show none of it and then overload on it. With Blake nonstop talking last episode left me scratching my head. Besides the pee conversation he had with BJ, I can't even remember ever seeing him say 2 words at camp in the first 4 episodes. Suddenly he can't stop talking for anything. Quite a jump.

I entertained the idea that they are showing the bad stuff of Steph to make her "the villian" this year. She couldn't win being "the good guy", maybe she makes it to F2 as bad guy. She was never the good guy and she will never be a villian, just a selfish whiner that is a legend in her own mind. I have no doubt she will push Judd to keep the weaker ones like Lydia and Rafe and get rid of Cindi, Margaret and Jamie. It would give her the best chance to make it to F2 by competing against only weak people ( Rafe, Lydia, Brian, Amy). But I thought better of this idea. I mean really, it's Steph we're talking about. I don't think she could hit water if she fell out of a boat.

I'm going to make an out-of-the-blue prediction of Danni and Lydia.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fogey
    This was a total stupid move by BJ and Danni, by doing so, they are now so darn outnumbered by the original Yaxha tribe and with Judd on their side, it is like 8 on 5 now.
    I don't think the original Yaxha is very tight. They've been looking to get rid of Jamie and Lydia for some time now, Rafe seems like a tagalong, and Amy's injury will weigh her down at some point.

Anybody else getting the distinct impression that this years winner will come from old Yaxha?
    Yep.

Can anybody tell me why contestants are falling on their tribal swords to keep Stephenie strong? First Judd throws Brooke under the bus for her and now Danni/Bobby Jon are helping her out from the other tribe. These people are complete morons!
    Judd did it because he's got a better chance of worming his way into their group than getting anywhere with the women on his original tribe, though I don't think either will allow him to get much past early jury. I'm not sure why Danni did it, but I suspect it's because she'd rather get rid of one of the boys than have to deal with them as a group. Bobby Jon could either vote with the group or be the odd man out and the next target like Brandon. Both of these moves most likely helped Steph, but I doubt they were done with her in mind.

Getting rid of Blake was stupid for Yaxha. It's the beginning of the end.
    They've ensured they'll make it to the merge with who they want to make it to the merge with, regardless of whether or how many times they lose. So in terms of getting rid of the strong, it's moot.

He didn't get booted out last time because of his strategy. He never actually got voted out and made it as far as he could from a strategic perspective. He didn't need to break promises he needed to win immunities. This time he is doing that.
    You can get to the jury (maybe) without breaking promises. From that point forward, prepare to lie.

+ Reply to Thread