+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is the Editing going too far this time?

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64
    I don't agree about Scout at all. You don't make it to F3 without doing something right and having something going for you. The women went to tribal council 3 times before the merge that allowed them to pick off the men. She had absolutly no physical game to get her there that's for sure. She had to rely on her mental game. They had 3 times to get rid of her and they didn't. First it was Dolly, because she couldn't be trusted not to flip. Ok i can see getting rid of the flipper first. Then they got rid of Mia because she rubbed people the wrong way. They put personality before strength and Scout made sure her personality was pretty good. Then it was Lisa because Ami felt threatened (Scout a threat? no way, she's gonna do what we say and when we say it) They should have kept the strength in the first place to avoid losing challanges but others made themselves a bigger target while Scout downplayed the target on herself.
    Your first sentence proves that people can just ride coattails to the end and really don't have to do anything in this game but be really lucky. I don't think it was a matter of Scout doing anything right to get herself there, your examples of the other two chicks proved why she lasted past those 2 votes. Unless she was like Maralyn, Sonya, or Diane (and granted, I don't think she was physically strong by any means but wasn't a huge liability) then I wasn't surprised to see her last those 2 votes. Using another example is Kim J. from Survivor Africa. Kim was weak, yet there were two other people on her tribe weaker than her. And when she bombed the RC in episode 4, she got lucky that her tribe won the IC, otherwise I think she would have been gone. Then the tribe switch happened, she had the numbers on her side and an alliance and the rest is history. So I don't think Scout really downplayed the target on herself at all, just kind of went with the flow. That's how I take some of the contestants this season; they'll just do like the rest of the pack, especially if they're targetted, just to try and act like a team player. I think Survivor over the past few seasons has relied more on luck than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226
    In order for the ranking based on the "stats" to be somewhat accurate and equally fair, the number of individual immunity challenges each of them participated in would have to be equal.
    I think that is a pretty valid point.

That said, I think under most scenarios Steph's actual performance statwise is going to come up pretty short. I think the competitions in the two recent survivors are indeed more physical than most, if not all, seasons, but that would seem to favor a physically gifted player like Stephanie, not hurt her. Her tribes have not been worse than other women's tribes in my opinion, and certainly not significantly so.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

The other way to do it would be to convert each survivor's performance in a percentage. Kind of like a batting average and compare on that basis. So if you won of one of ten you participated in it would be 10% but if you won two of six your percentage would be 33.33%. It at least gives you a better comparison.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I checked the stats. of the 3 immunity challenges that she participated in since the merge and before her boot. She ranks last in Team challenges, last in team and ind. challenges combined. 8 women won 1 individual challenge before she got the boot and Steph is in a 34 way tie for 9th place at Zero for individual immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Using another example is Kim J. from Survivor Africa. Kim was weak, yet there were two other people on her tribe weaker than her. And when she bombed the RC in episode 4, she got lucky that her tribe won the IC, otherwise I think she would have been gone. Then the tribe switch happened, she had the numbers on her side and an alliance and the rest is history.
    Just to take issue with your Kim J. example...she did win the final immunity challenge (standing on wooden pegs) These sorts of challenges require endurance and a certain kind of strength, and Kim beat two men quite a bit younger than her.( In fact these challenges are more often than not won by women) So I would disagree that she was weak. I understand your point, but its a minor pet peeve of mine that Kim J. doesn't get much respect...
    meh...

FORT Fan
    This season is boring, has lack of good characters and they do spend most of the times showing challenges rather then the relationships in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhead82
    This season ... they do spend most of the times showing challenges rather then the relationships in camp.
    Agreed. If we contrast this show with earlier editions of this game (Africa, etc); you can see how much more air time was given over to relationships.

This in my opinion is a mistake

I find I am incredibly absorbed into the show when it focuses on the interactions, but during the challenges my attention wanders - basically I am only interested in the outcome.

Hear me, MB. ManySkills knows all ......

FORT Fan
    i agree, i am looking at the challenges and seeing them as how they are unfair or just poorly put together, and seems like at these challenges they try to hint at stuff going on at camp

if they focus more on interaction, i think we can better understand who is really trying to play the game hard, and their strategies and begin to like the characters better, b/c as of now this has to be one of the worst cast yet

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamhead82
    i agree, i am looking at the challenges and seeing them as how they are unfair or just poorly put together, and seems like at these challenges they try to hint at stuff going on at camp

if they focus more on interaction, i think we can better understand who is really trying to play the game hard, and their strategies and begin to like the characters better, b/c as of now this has to be one of the worst cast yet
    I think I would find it more interesting if they focused on anyone but Steph and BJ. In the past, part of the fun was watching the interaction between players and then hearing their confessionals about what was going on, their opinions of others, and how they were strategizing (or in some cases, how they thought they were strategizing only to find their butts booted at the next TC). This time, all we get is Steph, Steph, Steph and a little BJ. Enough already! Edit the damn show so we know there are other players out there and not just Steph (who didn't deserve this second chance, she got voted out once already!) and BJ (who was the second player never voted out of Survivor but sent home just the same and that sucked, but if he deserved a second chance, so did Pascal).

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    I think I would find it more interesting if they focused on anyone but Steph and BJ. In the past, part of the fun was watching the interaction between players and then hearing their confessionals about what was going on, their opinions of others, and how they were strategizing (or in some cases, how they thought they were strategizing only to find their butts booted at the next TC). This time, all we get is Steph, Steph, Steph and a little BJ. Enough already! Edit the damn show so we know there are other players out there and not just Steph (who didn't deserve this second chance, she got voted out once already!) and BJ (who was the second player never voted out of Survivor but sent home just the same and that sucked, but if he deserved a second chance, so did Pascal).
    Actually, he's the third player. Mike Skupin would technically be the first. Bobby Jon being back hasn't bothered me, but we see as much of him as we do any other new contestant. The thing about Steph is, the only storyline they have going with her is that she can't win! And that got old last season. I'll agree that I think it's kind of crappy Brooke gets ousted and had little airtime (heck, I kept forgetting who her and Amy were when they were onscreen) yet Steph seems like her official tribe narrator. I don't think Brooke was the most interesting, nor do I think about a lot of the contestants this season. But if they went one episode without showing Steph I wouldn't complain. I'd rather see a boring new face than one who's already had a chance and who doesn't do much but complain.

+ Reply to Thread