+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Is the Editing going too far this time?

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    What bugs me is the show seems to have forgotten that they brought back TWO players. I want some BOBBY JON and I want some BOBBY JON right now!! And it wouldn't hurt to see more of him on the show either!

"...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

As I read these posts something occurs to me.

Usually most of us find the first few episodes uninteresting - kind of like treading water.

Until the merge, you can't tell all the contestants apart, don't know everyone's name, and often haven't found a single character to become 'invested in'

This time, however, we have an interesting storyline to follow - heck, look at all the dialogue it has engendered.

D-m but MB may have known what he was doing.

Still feel manipulated though

FORT Fogey
    Nakum seemed to be doing just fine in the winning department until she was switched over there.
    Nakum had all kinds of muscle before they switched. Now, they're even more powerful, while Team Steph has lost arguably its most physically redeeming asset (Gary), along with one of its smarter members (Brian). In exchange, they've gained 3 people nobody cares about (whatever their names are) and a guy who has strength but no brains or endurance (Judd), and kept the inept (Lydia), the weak (Rafe), and the lazy (Jamie).

Mediocre ability and zero mental game.
    I must've missed this part. She was outnumbered 8-1. Nobody's ever faced those odds, male or female. That in itself sealed her fate, though she got further than many others would have even with even odds.

It's funny the excuses isn't it? Steph had the toughest people to play against while other women that did better than her had wimpy competiton.
    Funny... but accurate. As I've indicated, she hasn't proven herself to me, but she hasn't disproven herself either. Any statistic that tries to make her look bad is skewed.

It doesn't enter her mind that Danni or Cindy or anyone else really is a better, more skilled player.
    No doubt Danni is physically strong (I'll reserve judgement on her gameplay until there's actually a reason to make judgement)... but Cindy who?

FORT Fogey
    What a boring season

Snoozin' on the beach
    Knowing your shortcomings and weakness is a big thing in this game. I'm gonna use Scout as an example, I'm not really a fan of hers but she really showed how it's done with smarts. I don't think there has ever been a survivor that has started this show with more things going against her than Scout. She was 59 years old, double, and in some cases, triple the age of her tribemates and opponents. She had a bum knee and knew before the game even started that she would not be able to contribute to her tribes efforts in challenges in any way, she'd actually be a liability to them. She also knew that if she were able to get to the merge, she would not be a ble to save herself in the challenges. She really was a sitting duck from the get go. She compensated for what she was lacking in other areas. She worked hard around camp, was supportive and kind of the mother of the tribe. Somehow she managed to convince her tribemates that it was more valuable for them to keep the broken down old woman that couldn't help them and to boot the young, in shape girls that could help secure a challenge win. Through any means necessary, she made herself not be as dispensible as the others, even though she really deserved to go. I think it's unbelievable that this woman actually got herself to F3. It defies all logic and probability that she did and I give her a ton of credit for doing it. Sure, she had help when her tribe won challenges but when they didn't, they still kept her around again and again. You could argue that they kept her around because she was not a threat to them and they could later get rid of her. That was their big mistake, underestimating her, and the appearance she lead them to believe. She switched things up when she had to, jumping ship and sticking it to people when she had to. The point is, she knew where she was lacking and compensated for it in such a way that it got her to F3. She really did outsmart all her tribemates that fell before her. Did any of us ever think she'd even make it to the merge when that season began? I thought she'd be targeted as the first one gone.

Steph has not done that. She refuses to accept that others are either better than her or she is not as good as she thinks. She doesn't let it enter her mind that she is lacking, it's always a rotten tribe, tribemate with a sprain ankle, girls that don't know what a pick is, bad luck. By pointing the finger at everyone else instead of looking at herself for weaknesses and shortcomings, she dooms herself to lose over and over. She doesn't try to compensate for weakness because she thinks she has none, its everyone else that does. So she continue on doing the same exact thing, like a gerbil on a treadmill, getting no where fast.

She also had the luxury of knowing she had to be in shape, physically active, how to make fire, to hunt for food, to make alliances, to be ready for memory and endurance games, tribal switch, plus a merge among other things. None of them from Season 1 or 2 knew any of that stuff. Had they known, they could have prepared themselves the same way contestants do now. The more contestants know what is coming and are able to prepare for it, the stiffer the competition will be to keep them as close to equal as possible. Kelly was no slouch either, she is no couch potato being a river rafting guide. She may not be as athletic but she was a whole lot tougher. I'd put my money on her any day

Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    What a boring season
    I think if they'd focus more on the relationships/dynamics between the players and less on the challenges, it would be much more interesting. It seems like most of the show is taken up with footage of the challenges.

We haven't heard much from Cindy, or some of the others. It's hard to care about the players when you hardly know them. Except for the few that get all the remaining airtime, of course...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Justafan1
    What a boring season
    If Yakha winds up dominating (thanks Judd ) then I'll agree with you. But my faves usually fail miserably, so I'm sure that will happen. I'm cringing at the very thought that the last ones standing will be Lydia, Brian, Steph, and Jamie. How I miss the spoilers! Survivor isn't the same (or as fun to watch) for me without knowing what's going on. I'd rather now what's going to happen. If Judd's move to oust Brooke leads to a Yakha victory this will be the first Survivor where I have no faves left at the end

What bugs me is the show seems to have forgotten that they brought back TWO players. I want some BOBBY JON and I want some BOBBY JON right now!! And it wouldn't hurt to see more of him on the show either!
    You said it

Honestly, I don't care who wins this season. I don't have anyone that I really like (Richard H.) or can't stand, but admire (Amy) their technique. They're all interchangeable, but I am enjoying it. Mainly, because the challenges are exciting and I like the idea of getting rid of all the physically weak players and having nothing but physically fit type A personalities in the merge. If that happens, it would be very intense. To me the first season was more like that.

FORT Fogey
    Scout is one of the less comepetent female players and one of the less competent older players in one. She went as far as she did based purely on a numbers game. The fat 5 threw the game out the door. If you wanna get rid of one or two strong players so you've got the numbers advantage, fine, that makes sense. But don't get rid of every single strong player at the expense of your tribe and while doing so set it up so the women can pick you off one by one. They were the sitting ducks, not Scout. Their strategy ensured her survival, not anything she herself did.

Steph's biggest weakness is that everyone else around her considers her a threat. They'd give her more credit than I'd give her. If everyone universally has the attitude that she's a threat, there must be something to it, whether we see it or not. Editing is not going to change the views of the other players.

By the same token that the people in the earlier seasons weren't able to prepare as much, the competition on the earlier seasons was not nearly as stiff either. Then again, you really can't prepare for the game in terms of competitions because you don't know what competition they'll throw at you at what time, or what people you'll be on the island with and how those relationships will work themselves out. Despite this being the 11th season and him having been on the most recent edition, Bobby Jon was puking for the better part of a week. Anyone who thinks they're prepared for this is silly.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I don't agree about Scout at all. You don't make it to F3 without doing something right and having something going for you. The women went to tribal council 3 times before the merge that allowed them to pick off the men. She had absolutly no physical game to get her there that's for sure. She had to rely on her mental game. They had 3 times to get rid of her and they didn't. First it was Dolly, because she couldn't be trusted not to flip. Ok i can see getting rid of the flipper first. Then they got rid of Mia because she rubbed people the wrong way. They put personality before strength and Scout made sure her personality was pretty good. Then it was Lisa because Ami felt threatened (Scout a threat? no way, she's gonna do what we say and when we say it) They should have kept the strength in the first place to avoid losing challanges but others made themselves a bigger target while Scout downplayed the target on herself.
    It took a few times once they merged to get Twila on board but she did. Did you notice a personality change in Scout once they merged and got the majority? I sure did. She dropped the pretense because she didn't have to fool anyone anymore to keep herself from being targeted.

Look at all the other people that didn't puke and went through the same thing. 15 people didn't puke or overheat themselves to the point of being sick. They were prepared and knew what they should and shouldn't be doing. Just like they try and bulk up to be ready for no food, learning how to start a fire and other things. BJ also is not the brightest bulb
    Last edited by Shady64; 10-13-2005 at 12:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread