+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 98

Thread: Is the Editing going too far this time?

  1. #31
    everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,609
    Cable101, that was harsh...and a tad arrogant don't cha think? I will stand toe to toe with you in a Survivor trivia game anytime, and I have a memory disorder!! I have put S9 and S10, along with four episodes of S11 to poetry. My love and devotion for the show is no lesser or greater than anyone's, but one thing it is not...is questionable. I would elaborate, but I've got nothing to prove.

    You say you tend to not be swayed by editing anymore, fine, but are you aware that, though perhaps not swayed...you're totally obsessed with it?

    When a player steps up and knocks a target out after three attempts...when in actuality they made ten attempts...that's a "no big deal" editing job that probably would never be noticed because nobody cares. But when it's thirty, that presents a skewed impression of that player's challange performance. Plain and simple. If some Survivor fans don't appreciate it, they don't have to appreciate it. But they also don't have to have their comprehension skills questioned either.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

  2. #32
    FORT god cable101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The center of the universe
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I seem to recall almost everyone that posted in this thread acknowledging the fact that editing plays a huge role in reality tv and always has. No one here is waiting for someone to swoop in and enlighten them that *gasp* the editors create characters from the individuals who appear on these shows. Yes. We know. Seriously.

    The question by the original poster was if the editing went farther than it normally does in this one particular instance.
    I apologize for being a bit acrimonious, but my post was mainly spurred by the complaints that many have toward this editing. Crafting Stephenie's challenge performance in a way that inferred that she accomplished her task quicker than was the case does not seem like a big editing jump to me. Creating an individuals' personality is something that goes a bit farther than it should; making someone look good in a challenge simply doesn't seem like that big of a deal. This is personal opinion, but nothing about the unfair editing in question is making me react the way it is doing for so many others. Stephenie took a few more tries than we were shown. I don't know, but it doesn't blow me away (or even spur me to make a thread in regards to it).

    Quote Originally Posted by lopevian
    Cable101, that was harsh...and a tad arrogant don't cha think? I will stand toe to toe with you in a Survivor trivia game anytime, and I have a memory disorder!! I have put S9 and S10, along with four episodes of S11 to poetry. My love and devotion for the show is no lesser or greater than anyone's, but one thing it is not...is questionable. I would elaborate, but I've got nothing to prove.
    Again, my sincerest apologies. I admit to coming off a bit harsher than I intend in certain posts, and it seems my latest one was the perfect example. As for Survivor trivia, I'd almost like to take you up in your challenge, but this is not the place for such things. Besides, I'm sure you'd beat me in Vanutau trivia; I only watched that season once, because I simply can't stand it.

    Quote Originally Posted by lopevian
    You say you tend to not be swayed by editing anymore, fine, but are you aware that, though perhaps not swayed...you're totally obsessed with it?
    I take great joy in analyzing editing patterns. It just so happens that this season has had some of the strangest editing I have ever seen. I'd love it if somebody else was as interested as I am, but it seems I am alone in this interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by lopevian
    When a player steps up and knocks a target out after three attempts...when in actuality they made ten attempts...that's a "no big deal" editing job that probably would never be noticed because nobody cares. But when it's thirty, that presents a skewed impression of that player's challange performance. Plain and simple. If some Survivor fans don't appreciate it, they don't have to appreciate it. But they also don't have to have their comprehension skills questioned either.
    For the third time, I apologize. I really don't mean to sound arrogant, and I feel quite bad about it all, now. I wasn't questioning anyone's intelligence or comprehension skills, or, at the very least, I didn't mean to. An unfairly-edited challenge performance is simply not the kind of thing that agitates me. Clearly, this is not the case with others.

  3. #33
    "Woooo.. shut up!" dustparticle05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    430
    I think the thing that irked me about the editing (barring that the information Brooke provided is true) is that it appears as though the editors want people to still love Steph. She's obviously the fan-favorite (just take a look at the popularity poll on CBS) and I'd assume the editors wouldn't want to show her chucking club after club with no success and her team getting frustrated with her for not wanting to switch out just so she's not portrayed as arrogant and instead wanting to be the "hero," as they edited Judd with this challenge.

    That just makes me wonder if they've not shown other struggles other Survivors have had with challenges to make them look better than others.

  4. #34
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,302
    since she was so popular the first time around and chose to make Judd the scapegoat out of all these since he aint really liked by many after getting rid of Brooke.
    I was under the impression nobody particularly cared for Brooke (or even knew who she was). Judd probably has more supporters than she does, as well as more people who don't support him.

    It turned into the Rob and Amber show just like it's turning into the Stephenie show. I'm totally disgusted when any former contestant is brought back on any reality show. Editing to turn the show into making a star out of any former contestant is boring. It's going to bring the show down and off the air eventually.
    I enjoyed the Rob & Amber show. Anyway, that season they were all brought back, and now fans of every reality show are looking forward to a similar season. I don't think it's really the Steph show. Not as much as it was last year at least.

    Can someone refresh my memory - what did Jeff say or do at TC which cast a less than glowing light on Steph?
    He pointed out that she's only won 4 times out of 21 challenges and that the reason for that may be that she's a jinx. We were all thinking it, so it's not something that needed to be pointed out, particularly if they're trying to make her look good. Unless, as I said, they're trying to make her the underdog, which worked very well last year.

    Steph didn't criticize Judd because she took just as long and refused to switch out as well.
    I don't doubt she did criticize him... doesn't mean we'd see it.

    She's obviously the fan-favorite (just take a look at the popularity poll on CBS)
    She's the favorite more based on a) last year and b) the fact that we've only seen the others for a couple weeks more so than anything she's done this year.

  5. #35
    Snoozin' on the beach
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by dberk
    Brooke was probably exaggerating (sour grapes) about the number of times it took Steph to succeed, but clearly it must have taken longer than indicated. Both Judd and Steph should have given someone else a try.

    I agree that we were misled about Steph in this competition, but after Jeff's comments to her at diatribal council, I don't see the producers treating her like a favorite. Well, maybe favorite whipping post.
    Jeff's comments? This is the same Jeff that described Steph to all the contestants in the opening episode as "probably the stongest woman ever to play" or something to that effect, I don't have the exact wording. Jeff was just stating the obvious in tribal council. No amount of editing can hide the fact that she has lost 17 out of 21 challenges in 2 season.

    Shame on Jeff for even suggesting she's the probably the strongest woman to ever play, when many women throughout the seasons have proven better and he knows it. It's only the 4th epiode and already Danni has proven to be the superior athlete and competitor. I hope they both make it to the merge so Danni can blow her doors off head to head. Now I am curious about the record of Team and individual immunity wins and where they placed in the show...of ALL women that have been on Survivor (that have made it to the merge). Let's see where Steph really stands on that scale. I'm gonna go looking

  6. #36
    FORT god cable101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    The center of the universe
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64
    Now I am curious about the record of Team and individual immunity wins and where they placed in the show...of ALL women that have been on Survivor (that have made it to the merge). Let's see where Steph really stands on that scale. I'm gonna go looking
    And now you have spurred my curiosity. Darn you! You've just taken away the next hour or so of my time.

  7. #37
    Snoozin' on the beach
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by cable101
    And now you have spurred my curiosity. Darn you! You've just taken away the next hour or so of my time.

    I just found a site that has compilations of all seasons per page. I am going to put it together but will not include the all star season. That was a second time around for them and the other 9 seasons didn't get a shot. I am only going to include team and individual immunities and not rewards. Immunity is what's most important. Only doing it for women that made it to the merge and beyond as that is how far Steph has made it. Keeps the comparisons equal

  8. #38
    Big Brother Obsession!! Davis_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    756
    I actually hate editing... Big Brother is pretty bad, but Survivor is definitely the worse for it... last year in Palauu there was an episode where the tribe who was going to tribal council, all that survivor showed, was them saying "lets vote out person A" and then at the end "person b" was voted out... it took me totally off guard, because obviously the tribe talekd about it, yet Survivor didnt show us....

    I wish Survivor had the Live feed!! lol

    Also about the interviews, especially in the amazing race, you can sorta tell who is out, by the way they talk or where they talk.. sometimes

  9. #39
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,368
    But didn't Steph win the most immunity challenges...maybe that is where Jeff is coming up with the most strongest woman to play so far.
    There's no place like home!

  10. #40
    Snoozin' on the beach
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,918
    Quote Originally Posted by captain
    But didn't Steph win the most immunity challenges...maybe that is where Jeff is coming up with the most strongest woman to play so far.
    Steph won zero team immunity challenges and zero individual immunity challenges on Palua

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.