+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooke's Early Show Interview

Brooke's Early Show Interview

'Survivor' Castoff Tells Her Side

NEW YORK, Oct. 7, 2005
    Brooke Struck on 'The Early Show' (CBS/The Early Show)

When 26-year-old law student Brooke Struck watched the show Thursday night, she tells The Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler many thoughts came to her head about Judd Sergeant.

"I was thinking, when he said 'king of the jungle,' during the first challenge, you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim (Lynch) and I had not led you out using the map and compass," Brooke says. "It was quite the betrayal."

And quite unfair, Brooke says, adding that she was not the weakest link. But the reshuffling of the teams worked against her with her tribe evenly divided as four Yaxha members joined the four in Nakum.

"We had less than 24 hours to get to know our new team," Brooke says. "They hadn't seen everything that I had done, that I was one of the strongest ones in the jungle. They hadn't seen Judd throwing up during the jungle hike. They hadn't seen during the rope challenge I actually went and got one of the farthest ones. I hung in there and did better than some of the guys on my team."

If anyone was weak, she says, it was two-time "Survivor" player Stephanie LaGrossa.

"She got her team lost in the jungle, whereas I was able to lead my team through the jungle and not get lost," Brooke says. "Stephanie and Judd were the ones who kind of ran us to the ground during the ax-throwing challenge. We were kind of yelling at them: Switch out. Let someone else try it. It took Stephanie about 30 tries to break the first one. Whereas on the other team, Danni (Boatwright) walks up and in four tries gets it.

"Stephanie is not much of a team player. She brings the team spirit down a little bit. She didn't even know my name and everyone else on the tribe knew each other's name. Lydia's a much more positive person. When I was guarding her in the basketball challenge, she had all the energy."

And Stephanie? "Stephanie was flat on her back on the sidelines from the heat," Brooke says. "People could hardly stand up." She says the temperature some days reached 120 degrees.

"We didn't have a thermometer, but during the challenges Jeff Probst would announce the temperature. You don't realize how hot it gets," Brooke says. "I think that's why the guys got sick right away. They couldn't handle the hot weather."

But the heat factor at least was something predictable. The shocker was that the two tribes exchanged players.

"We didn't see it coming that soon," she says. "This was the first time we were going to be able, as a tribe, to send a member out of our team and have the advantage in a challenge and we never got to use that advantage for our team."

Another shock was that it was her time to go.

"Up until right before we went to Tribal Counsel," she says. "I thought I was safe, that we were all voting Lydia (Morales) off."

Now that she is out of the Guatemalan jungle, Brooke says she will be studying for the bar in February and looking for a job. But life for her will not be that different.

"There's a little back stabbing and cut throat in the legal world," she says.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in924566.shtml
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Wow. Not exactly a Stephenie fan is she?

Snoozin' on the beach
    Steph not a team player? Gee, what a surprise...not. It's funny how they edit it to make it look like Steph broke it right away. I wonder what other editing MB did to make her look like she was better than she really is? We've long known she's not a thinker, now we know she sucks as an athlete too. Her and Judd are 2 of a kind not switching out. They both want to be the sole hero for their team but all they do is cause them to lose rather than admit they are not up for the challenge.

In Steph's defense, it wasn't her fault, it was the fickle finger of fate and the cosmic universe shooting bad luck vibes her way!! Wish I had a nickel for every survivor that lost a challenge and blamed bad Mojo for it instead of their own ineptitude, i'd be rich just from Steph alone. She doesn't need good luck or good tribemates. What she needs is a good shrink, what a goony bird, with a huge case of denial

Well, I'm not a Steph fan this season, but I wouldn't say she "sucks as an athlete". She has bad aim if what Brooke says is true. But she does do well in challenges, for the most part.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Well, I'm not a Steph fan this season, but I wouldn't say she "sucks as an athlete". She has bad aim if what Brooke says is true. But she does do well in challenges, for the most part.
    Actually that was more in reference that they are giving the appearance that she is better than she really is through editing. I can't say I agree with her doing well in the challenges for the most part when she is 4-21 ( 0-2 in IC included)

Well, actually you have a point, there. If they edited her to look good in this challenge, there's a possibility that its been done before, even last season.

Here's the full interview transcript:

Quote Originally Posted by The Early Show
    Rene Syler: All bets are off on Survivor: Guatemala after a surprise reshufling of the tribes last night resulted in shattered alliances and a serious personal betrayal. In the end, law student, Brooke Struck, was stabbed right in the back.
    (Clips from Episode 4)
    Rene: Brooke Struck, good morning.
    Brooke: Good morning.
    Rene: Judd. Judd! What do you think when you were watching last night and you're saying, "Judd. My buddy." He was on the same team with you.
    Brooke: Well, I was thinking when he said, "king of the jungle," I was, like, "Well, during the first challenge you would still be lost in the jungle if Jim and I hadn't, like, led you out using the map and compass." But, yeah, it was quite the betrayal.
    Rene: Yeah. I mean, a lot of your team mates felt that, perhaps, you were not athletic enough. Was that a fair assessment, I think, of you?
    Brooke: Well, part of the thing you have to realize is when the teams got reshuffled, we had less than 24 hours to get to know our new team mates. So they hadn't seen everything I had done. They hadn't seen that I was one of the strongest ones in the jungle. They hadn't seen Judd throwing up after the jungle hike, you know? They hadn't seen, during the rope challenge, I actually went and got one of the furthest bags when a lot of the guys had gotten one of the closer ones. So, I really - I mean, I hung in there and did better than some of the guys on my team, even.
    Rene: Right. That reshuffling - I'm telling you. Were you surprised that it happened so early in the game? And I had to go back and watch it two or three times because I still didn't get exactly what happened, and all the shattered alliances and whatnot.
    Brooke: That was the big shocker for us. We just didn't see it coming that soon. We were expecting - this was the first time we were going to be able, as Nakum, to sit a member out of our team and have the advantage in a challenge, and we never got to use that advantage as our team.
    Rene: Tell me about that. You guys escaped one of the initial challenges because of the heat, right?
    Brooke: Yeah.
    Rene: It was so hot. Did you guys see? 120 degrees.
    Brooke: 120 degrees some days. I mean, we didn't have a thermometer out there, but when - during the challenges, Jeff Probst would announce the temperature, and we would just... You know, you just don't realize how hot it gets.
    Rene: Was that one of the big challenges, just trying to have enough energy? You have no food. You got little water. You can't get in the water because of the crocodiles. That had to be one of the biggest challenges.
    Brooke: Yeah, the heat was definitely a factor. I think that's why all the guys got sick right away after the jungle hike. They just couldn't handle the hot weather. And, you know, when we were playing the basketball game, people would - Stephenie was flat on her back on the sidelines from the heat. People could hardly stand up.
    Rene: Yeah, she's a formidable player. Were you surprised that she - I mean, do you have any ill will toward her? She's the one that wanted you out first.
    Brooke: Yeah, I mean, Stephenie - as I saw it - Stephenie was almost the weakest member of our tribe.
    Rene: What? Really?
    Brooke: I mean, when you watch it, she got her team lost in the jungle, whereas I was able to lead my team through the jungle and not get lost. Stephenie and Judd were kind of the ones that ran us into the ground during the axe-throwing challenge. They wouldn't - We were kind of yelling at them, "Switch out. Let somebody else try." And they just kept going and going and going. So, it took Stephenie about 30 tries to break the first one, whereas, on the other team, Danni walks up and, in 4 tries, gets it. And Stephenie's not much of a team player. She kind of, you know, brings the team spirit down a little bit.
    Rene: Really?
    Brooke: Like, she really didn't know my name, and everybody else on the tribe knew each others' names. So, here you have - like, Lydia's a much more positive person. When I was guarding her in the basketball challenge, she had all the energy. She was running around, smiling.
    Rene: Were you surprised the vote was this close? Because it could have gone either way, with you or Lydia.
    Brooke: Yeah, I had thought - up until right before we went to tribal council - I thought I was safe. We were all voting Lydia off.
    Rene: Wow. Quickly, what's next for you? You just graduated from law school.
    Brooke: Just graduated from law school, so I will be studying for the bar in February. Looking for a job.
    Rene: A different kind of Survivor.
    Brooke: Yeah. Well, not completely different. A little backstabbing. It's cut-throat in the legal world.
    Rene: Well, good luck with the bar.
    Brooke: Thank you very much.
    Rene: Good to see you. Thank you very much.
    Yeah, it's pretty much the same as the summary posted earlier, but I was hoping there would be something new to comment on. What stands out to me (besides the confirmation that Stephenie's fate most definitely rests in the hands of her tribemates), is that the women are continually targeted as the weakest members of their respective tribes, yet Brooke thinks she was just as strong or stronger than some of the men. I am surprised that guys like Judd haven't been looked at as being more of a liability than a help. Sure, Judd is fantastic in challenges where sheer body mass comes into play (the tug-of-war), but he's not exactly the most limber of athletic person out there, either. At this rate, all of the girls will be gone before the merge.

From the Transcript posted by Cable101:

Brooke: That was the big shocker for us. We just didn't see it coming that soon. We were expecting - this was the first time we were going to be able, as Nakum, to sit a member out of our team and have the advantage in a challenge, and we never got to use that advantage as our team.

Rene: Tell me about that. You guys escaped one of the initial challenges because of the heat, right?

Brooke: Yeah.

What does he mean by "You guys escaped one of the initial challenges ..." ??? ..

She just responded "Yeah" and didn't "tell him" about anything related except the (obvious) heat and it didn't sound like that is what he was referring to.

Oh ... and with regard to her attitude about Stephanie ...
    Keep in mind, she says they only got to "know each other for 24 hours" so they didn't know enough to judge her ... yet she knows all about Stephanie ?

Hmmmm ... sounds like a loud meower to me
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226
    What does he mean by "You guys escaped one of the initial challenges ..." ??? ..

She just responded "Yeah" and didn't "tell him" about anything related except the (obvious) heat and it didn't sound like that is what he was referring to.
    I was wondering the same thing. It was very quick and nonchalant, and I think it was just accepted by Brooke as a comment referring to the heat in Guatemala. I checked the video, and she definitely says "escaped one of the initial challenges," but I don't think that's really what she meant. It happens in interviews; what somebody is actually saying doesn't make sense, but it fits in context. I guess you get used to it when you transcript things like this as often as I do.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I bet the editors are cringing about how much Brooke gave away about the challenges. I wonder why they are making it look like Danni and Steph are very close in skill when in truth Danni is superior? Brook says it took Danni like 4 attempts and Steph 30 but they make it look like they both did it just as quick. I also wonder why they showed us over and over Judd blowing it. They could have spared him instead of making only him look like an idiot when we now know it was not just him. I understand they want to keep up the Steph charade to boost ratings at any cost but they're not "hedging" with editing, they are going WAY overboard to make some players look not as good as they really are and other to look much better than they actually are. I wonder how much of an impact it will have on any future storyline

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast