+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extra Videos - 9/15

Extra Videos - 9/15

As always, CBS's Survivor site (www.cbs.com/survivor11) provides us with extra videos of confessionals and other scenes that didn't make it onto the actual show. Sometimes those cut clips are rather interesting and worth discussing, so I thought this thread would be the place for this first set of videos.

For those of you that cannot get the videos to work for you (it appears CBS's online videos are in beta testing at the moment) or just don't feel like watching them, I'll provide the transcripts for each one. First up, Tribal Council:

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Council
    Probst: Behind each of you is a torch. Go ahead and grab your torch and approach the flame. This is part of the ritual of tribal council, because in this game, fire represents your life. When your fireís gone, so are you. Take a seat.
    Before we get started, we have to acknowledge where we are. You are in the midst of the North Acropolis. These are authentic Mayan ruins. Thousands of years ago, this is the spot where leaders who decide the fate of their people. It couldnít be a more fitting spot for tribal council. Alright, so letís get to it. It is time to vote. Blake, youíre up.
    Blake: (voting for Jim) Jim, youíre an amazing man. If I had half the energy and zeal for life you do at 63, what more could I ask for? Um, we all got a little sick. Hopefully some of the (inaudible) and I can bounce back from. Um, while itís not a bone sticking out of your skin, I think that bicep is debilitating enough. I donít know how effective youíll be. I think that our team is strong enough that we can have a real chance of winning every single event. I think that today, we just stumbled because of what happened yesterday. But, as great a man as you are, I know youíre hurting real bad. You wouldnít say anything about it; that was impressive. Uh, weíre all gonna miss you.
    Danni: (voting for Jim) Man, whyíd you have to go and get yourself hurt? You were the wisest of the bunch, and youíre one tough dude. If it wasnít for you, thereís not way we would be in the place that weíre in right now, our camp.
    Bobby Jon: (voting for Jim) Jim, you got a lot of heart, a lot of character, and thatís all that perseveres. Youíre more of what the world needs today. Hope your arm gets better.
    Brooke: (voting for Jim) Jim, thanks for helping us through the jungle, and I know youíre a fighter, and I know you donít want to quit. But I have to make this vote thinking of the team for long-term.
    Brandon: (voting for Jim) Sorry Jim. I could see it in your eyes how much you wanted this. And, uh, youíre one of the toughest guys Iíve ever met. So Iíll, uh, Iíll talk to you later.
    Margaret: (voting for Jim) Jim, youíre a great fella and a great player. You gave so much to our team. I know you understand exactly why weíre doing this. So thank you for everything. God bless and good health, ok?
    Judd: (voting for Jim) Jim, youíre one of the toughest dudes Iíve met.
    Cindy: (voting for Jim) Tonight my voteís for Jim. We kind of talked about this before we left to come here tonight, so I think we all understand why. I just hope that you can get better so that you can enjoy all the adventures that life has in store for you. Thanks for playing the game with us and leading us through the jungle.
    Jim: (voting for Margaret) Margaret, I love you like a sister. Youíre a tough competitor, youíre intelligent, and youíre a wonderful leader. If Iím able to stay in this game, I know youíre going to be my greatest competition. I love ya.
    My thoughts:
    Bobby Jon Ė Speak up next time. It was impossible to hear you clearly with the music.
    Judd Ė Nice way to keep it short and sweet.
    Cindy Ė Well, you pretty much confirmed what I had expected; this vote was a big tribal decision. I think everyone knew how the vote was going, including Jim
    Jim Ė You still havenít explained why you voted for Margaret, of all people. I just canít possible believe you chose her because she was your biggest competition. There was more to it than that. Did she tell you to? Did you pick randomly (probably)? We need answers!
    Last edited by cable101; 09-16-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Next up is "Rope Swing."

Quote Originally Posted by Rope Swing
    Nakum is hiking along an open trail.
    Margaret(?): Do we wanna pick up the pace on-
    Judd (?): Yeah, letís do it.
    Margaret (?): -just a little? Because once we get down to the jungle, weíll slow down again.
    Nakum begins to head deeper into the jungle.
    Cindy (?): Are we going the right direction?
    Bobby Jon: Yeah, weíre going the right direction.
    Brandon: Weíre in some pretty thick jungle now.
    Brooke: Margaret?
    Margaret: What?
    Brooke: What direction are we heading now?
    Margaret: Weíre going southeast, more south. South by southeast.
    Nakum arrives at a rope swing across a small creek. There is a sign warning them of crocodiles.
    Brooke (?): Alright, rope swing across the creek.
    Brandon: Watch out for alligators.
    Margaret: Guys, over here.
    Jim (?): Grab that rope, weíll swing across.
    Brandon: Yeah, letís go man.
    Brandon and Judd begin to wade through the water. Judd stumbles and falls into the water.
    Brandon: (In confessional) So we come up to the rope swing. Me and Judd take off. Judd trips, drops the bag of corn in the water.
    Judd: I still have the corn, man.
    Brandon: That does not smell very good. (In confessional) I still have to see what that does to the corn. Itís gonna mold it and everything unless we can get it dried out.
    Judd: Hey, Bobby Jon, you wanna throw that over here?
    Bobby Jon throws a bag of rice across the creek. Jim gets more supplies across with a pole-type contraption.
    Cindy: (In confessional) I just knew from living in Florida how that muck and the mangroves can suck you in. And it looks solid-
    From what I can tell, the video just ends here. Iíve tried working with it, but I canít seem to get past this cut. Oh well, it wasnít an entirely entertaining video anyway.

Time for "Jim Reveals All." Remember, this is prior to his boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reveals All
    Jim: We lost the immunity challenge probably for a couple of reasons. Uh, if you look at when we went after the torch, we got a little messed up after the turn and seconds in that critical timeÖand then we got up on the beach, and we made a couple of blunders. I got ran over, you know, and, from the get-go, tore my arm pushing the canoe into the water. So I was at 50%. And it was the little things, the little nuances that sort of kill you. The whole problem happened initially when we were putting that boat in the water. We picked up Ė I thought we were all in tune Ė I picked up before everybody else did with my left and my bicep just literally snapped. You could hear it. So I pretty much did the whole challenge, right from the get-go, with a pulled bicep muscle. A couple of other things that happened, the glitches that happened, you know? The thing spasmed the whole time, so I was in pain and itís still spasming, and uhÖ
    This challenge is everything. Itís your whole life in this game. When you go to tribal council and youíve lost Ė you didnít win that immunity idol Ė youíve lost, somebody is going to go home. One tribe is going to go home while the other tribe sits at camp and Ė letís face it Ė they gloat. It doesnít take much because these teams are evenly matched. Itís just the way it is.
    Not much new here. Perhaps Jim already knew his fate at the time of this confessional (it was right before TC)? It almost sounds like a day-after-the-boot type talk.

Great idea to post these! I can never get the darn things to play at CBS.com.

Time for Jim's Final Words:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Final Words
    Well, I'm not particularly surprised by the outcome of all this, given the difficulty of this game and, you know, an older guy - if you got an older guy operating at 50% in the challenges that are absolutely enormous. I don't blame the guys for voting me out. All I really want to say is I wish them good luck and I hope nobody gets hurt.

Well, it was something that I guess I didn't fully believe when they talked about the difficulty of this whole thing and it really came to fruition. It's just that I was able to, and I think I had some help in doing this. But, you know, to take that many people through a difficult jungle situation for 24 hours and over 11 miles I think it's a credit to me and certainly a credit to the kids. I think I did well for what I had to work with.

Well, I learned that I'm probably not as strong as I thought I was. Compared to these challenges, you know everyone has - maybe overestimates their abilities and as we get older, you know, mother nature turning down those thumb screws on us every day, sometimes we don't like to admit that, but this kind of brings it all out. It's realistic.

Well, I knew that I had strengths in, you know, people management, group dynamics, and being able to work with people in a democratic kind of way. Weaknesses? It's the (inaudible) thing, the body's starting to fall apart, you know? Running 12 miles a day doesn't compare to this, on a flat mountain road, is nothing like this. So, weaknesses: they came out.

I'm proud of what I did at my age. I like to motivate people my age to do things, not necessarily this, but, you know, get off your couch, quit bitching into a coffee cup about some political issue, and do something for yourself.

Challenges. I didn't fully - I don't think anybody, any of the survivors fully realized, you know, how tough this, and it's not just the toughness of the evolution that you're expected to do, but to compete under the circumstances of the humidity and the heat and the beating sun and really the lack of resources that you have is - it's really grueling.

I have no regrets. I'd do it again in a minute if everything was healed up, but that's probably not gonna happen. I did it once, and it was fun, and something I'm never ever gonna forget.

Moving right along...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim: The Day After
    Well Iím out of the game primarily from an injury that I suffered during the second challenge. It was a challenge of pulling these huge, weighty boats up a hill, and you had to row out and go out through these buoys, pick up a torch. For four or five revolutions it had to be boom-boom-boom. But picking up that canoe, first thing off the beach, I picked it up a split second before anyone else did with this left arm and I could just hear it snap. It snapped and went right on through the rest of the challenge. But, you know, youíre operating at 50% and you know darn well you just are holding everybody back when youíre like that.

Well, when I was originally injured we started back home - Iím tearing up, everybodyís tearing up. We lost for a reason. It wasnít just something that fell out of the sky. Just like Probst said; it was something we did. Some faux pas we made, some tactical error that we made. My estimation is it was not going on the outside of those buoys, not going on the outside. We were trying to hit the center. Who cares about the center? I was against it, but everyone was for it. I said, ďOkay weíll do what you want to do.Ē

The point is, when we got back to our tribal area, I knew that probably Iím going to drag these kids down. I knew when this thing snapped, I said, ďI am screwed.Ē Iím not going to screw these guys along with me. I want to see them do well. If they can do better without me, fine. Iím not going to have these kids waiting on me, having them running challenges with me, sit on my butt. Thatís not me. Thatís not in my character. And I talked to them. Each and every one I pulled aside. I said, ďYou do what you got to do.Ē And it was tough. It was very tough.

Now the guys got sick. For whatever reason, I donít know. The girls Ė they were relentless. And I was so proud of them. And Iím puking myself. Myself and some of the other guys have perceived themselves as being tough. That bug somehow got into us. What happened? Beats me.

Yeah, I think, had I continued, they would have perceived me as a father figure. Not so much father, but an uncle kind of guy thatís going to help take care of them. Hopefully in that short time I was on, I did get them out of the jungle. I did help them spend the night safely in the jungle and got them back out. And ended up winning that challenge. So it was big for them and I think they appreciated that.

I think, overall, my Survivor experience was not really what I expected. I knew it was going to be tough. I knew it was going to be grueling. But I didnít expect the conditions, the humidity, the heat. Just the toughness and the intensity of that long trek specifically; it was stifling.

Well the way Iím feeling today, to put it in a couple of words, is "somebodyís got to go first." But itís still bittersweet. You get Ė you leave that game that you worked so hard to get in. Youíve come all those miles. It seems like it went quick. It seems like it was long and grueling. You think like youíve been out there a week. So like I said, it's bittersweet. I wish I could have gone farther, but injuries happen. It would have happened to anybody.
    Hey, Jim actually provided us with some new information! It seems he told everybody individually that he was ready to go. Not exactly a quit, but more of a "It's ok; I know I'm next gone. Go ahead and vote for me." I really do think he could have lasted longer if he hadn't hurt his arm so badly.

Bobby Jon is scared? Do tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Jon's Scared
    Iím feeling like I just got through having a seizure. Iíve never had one, but if youíve ever had a seizure, I had one up there a little while ago. I didnít, but it was just severely - severe dehydration. Iíve heard people talk about it before, but I think Iím a badass and that kind of thing never happens to me. And it did, and it whipped me like a little girl - a little boy, whatever you want to call it. Just right in front of everybody. Just go ahead, Day 2, show them my weakness. I was really mad at myself. I really couldnít move. When I say I couldnít move, I mean, I was that far from biting my tongue. I didnít know what was going on.

I was very surprised with the condition that Iím in right now. For me, I just never thought that type of thing would ever happen to me, and it did. And it hit me head-on. Itís still going on some now, but we have a lot of water up there, and luckily the girls have been pulling more than their weight. Brandonís definitely been pulling his weight, and so has Jim. So knock on wood. Those guys are really carrying the tribe right now. Iím still hanging in there.

This thing is Ė itís a nightmare, sort of. It really is. I didnít plan on it being like this. I think that on Day 1, I was like, okay, "go go go" as hard as you can. And thatís what I did. I carried two bags of corn all day yesterday and I got up this morning and I was feeling it.

Right now Iím feeling pretty exhausted, pretty winded. And I know if Iím going to contribute to this team that Iíd better tighten up quick or Iíll be home. Thatís it.
    It seems to me that BJ isn't really in danger of being seen as a weakness anymore. As far as I can tell, he had his "seizure" moment, and he should be fine from now on. A Bobby Jon boot this week doesn't seem very likely.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for posting these cable! I can never get the videos to work on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Talks Back
    I think with our group so far, there's been some maternal leadership from Margaret, just because she's a nurse, and she is older than most of our mothers, but a strong woman. And obviously Bobby Jon because, you know, the position he's held in the past. I think the rest of us have all kind of had our own perspective and nobody's really stepped forward. We hit that 1.2 miles in the jungle and that was hands down the most gruelling part. Travelling with our flag was so intense, just trying to get it through every vine.

We were walking through maybe the first .12 miles of the journey through the jungle, heading up a hill. I was middle of the group. Jim kind of walked around a tree, and everyone pointed out that it had thorns on it. Somehow the base snapped and this entire tree fell. I guess I'm kind of lucky it didn't hit me in the face or the top of the head and embeded me with giant thorns. I've had surgery on the shoulder in the past, and I was favoring it the day or two before I came here. I wasn't looking forward to hauling that load.

All of a sudden, this branch collapses, and it didn't just deflect off me, it snapped over my shoulder. And you know three or four thorns went in. Margaret started pulling them out, there's still a few stuck in there I can't get out. It slowed me down, it was startling enough that it took my breath away. It kind of put that fear in me, because the one thing I was afraid of here was that. I dont't want to come in here with a shoulder injury and reirritate it and all of a sudden not be able to compete. It was numb for a good while, and it jammed me up pretty good. There was a throbbing sensation from the needles in there, cause they went in so deep. I mean, we all brushed them. I've got scrapes and stuff all over my body from just catching the thorns. But these got shoved all the way in there. I mean, Margaret couldn't even get them out today. Probably going to have to take tweezers to get them out. Not only that, but it just knocked my shoulder down. My problem in the past has been it displacing out the back, and it got hit right there. Again, I've got to favor it for awhile, carry water bottles on my right shoulder, throw everything around my neck.

That was the least of our problems, once I started getting sick. That kind of took it to a whole new level.
    So things are starting to clear up regarding why that tree took such a huge hit on Blake. It's always the body part that's had surgery, isn't it? At least Blake didn't quit over it like somebody from Palau...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie is Positive
    I think the difference between Ulong and Yaxha is we lost today but we gave it everything we had, and we still lost. So there's always a winner and a loser, and our time will come, and we will win. And our heads are still up, and we're still really positive, and we're so excited to still play this game, and come out, you know, as a winning tribe. Whereas you know when I was on Ulong, people were like, "oh well, no big deal." It's totally different this time.

I'm going to be honest, I don't blame anybody for losing this race. Gary and I decided to take the direction into our own hands in the beginning, and it took us a little while to get it down, and then we had it down pat. And then when we caught up to them, there were a couple people who were slow. So it was kind of a team thing. And we were handing the compasses off, it wasn't just us leading the whole time. So I'm not going to blame just one person. I'm not. I mean, there's clearly - there's people who are more physically fit then others, who can run with bags of corn, 30 pounds, and who can't. And we're just going to have to work with that, and if that doesn't work, then we may eventually have to start getting rid of the weakest first obviously.

I think possibly the weakest is a cross between Amy and Lydia. And I think the laziest is Jamie. I just think his head's not in it. I don't know.
    Hmm, an interesting video. Stephenie provides us with the 3 people who may be in trouble if Yaxha goes to tribal council this week. We already knew Amy and Lydia are seen as the weakest, but we can now add Jamie to the list of potential boots.

+ Reply to Thread