+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

Re: 'Survivor' winner Hatch indicted for tax evasion

Good question - I did a little looking online, and it was mentioned that his son stayed with 'relatives' while he did Survivor so maybe he's been with those same relatives. It looks as though he should be 18 or 19 now.

I'm in prison because I'm gay.

"Survivor" winner Richard Hatch said in an interview broadcast Tuesday that he believes he was sent to prison because he's gay, a claim the prosecutors in the case call baseless and delusional.

Hatch, speaking publicly for the first time since being released from prison to home confinement, told NBC's "Today" show that he believes the judge in his tax evasion case discriminated against him. He also accused a prosecutor of misconduct.

"I know without question that there are personal issues involved for the prosecutor. I don't know why. The prosecutorial misconduct has been egregious," he said.

When asked whether he believes that if he was heterosexual, he would not have gone to prison, Hatch replied, "I do believe that."

In court papers filed earlier this year, Hatch complained of widespread prejudice in the justice system against gay people.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office said Hatch's claims are baseless, and in a court filing in May, prosecutors pointed out that Hatch offered no evidence to support a claim that he was prosecuted because he is gay.

Former U.S. Attorney Robert Clark Corrente whose office oversaw the case told WPRO-AM that Hatch is "delusional." The judge in the case is now retired and could not immediately be reached for comment.

Hatch was convicted in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on his $1 million prize for the first season of the CBS reality show. He was given extra prison time for lying on the stand.

Hatch, 48, is due to be released from home confinement on Oct. 7, but has asked a judge to release him immediately for a variety of reasons, including because he was represented by ineffective lawyers.

He told the "Today" show that he has been financially devastated by his tax case
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

You know, I liked Hatch once upon a time, despite his cockiness and thinking he was the sole reason Survivor become the big hit and all that junk. But after this? Go crawl back under the rock. I don't like to think of all the crap interviews he's going to give to try and make himself look better (or worse).

And I don't know who wouldn't be financially hurt by a tax case

Kiz

Hatch used to just have delusions of grandeur. Now, he's just plain delusional.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Hatch taken back to jail

Survivor champion Richard Hatch, completing a jail sentence for tax evasion and perjury with home confinement in Rhode Island, was taken back into federal custody yesterday and is currently being held by the Barnstable (Mass.) County Sheriff’s Office. Traci Billingsley, Chief Public Information Officer for the Bureau of Prisons, would not specify why Hatch was returned to prison, but says such actions are generally taken in cases where the inmate failed to follow home confinement procedures or there was a need for additonal supervision. On Tuesday morning, Hatch had appeared on NBC’s Today Show, and he made the accusation that he had served a jail term only because of his homosexuality. However, Billingsley says the latest incarceration “had nothing to do with The Today Show.”

Richard Hatch Season 1

I'll tell ya, Hatch is still one of my 10 or so favorite Survivors ever, but that's only because when I'm judging these people I do it based on what they do on the show. If this was a case of judging someone on their character as people, good lord, this guy has lost it. What happened to you Hatch?

I loved him on the show, as well, but it does appear that he's going off the deep end a bit.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Not only did he "forget" to report the $1,000,000 grand prize, he "forgot" to report the $100,000 appearance fee for appearing on the "live" reunion finale. As well as the $350,000 radio and other fees.

As a multiple offender, that is why they threw the book at him.

All contestants on these reality shows get some kind of fees for giving up part of their lives and to keep up the old homestead while they are off in the jungle/island/Beverly Hills Mansion, etc.

Judge to consider release of 'Survivor' winner Hatch

3:45 PM Fri, Sep 11, 2009
    Alan Rosenberg

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- A federal judge in Massachusetts will consider the case of Survivor winner Richard Hatch, who's been in a jail since last month after giving unauthorized TV interviews while serving home confinement.

The American Civil Liberties Union represents the former reality star and said Friday that Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton set a hearing Monday.

Hatch was convicted in Providence in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on his $1 million Survivor winnings. He was serving the home confinement portion of his sentence at his sister's home in Newport.

In TV interviews last month, he said the trial judge discriminated against him because he's gay. The Bureau of Prisons told his lawyer two of those interviews were unauthorized and took him into custody.

The ACLU says Hatch's First Amendment rights were violated.
    Last edited by pawpaw; 09-13-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Richard Hatch Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3700398;

3:45 PM Fri, Sep 11, 2009
    Alan Rosenberg

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- A federal judge in Massachusetts will consider the case of Survivor winner Richard Hatch, who's been in a jail since last month after giving unauthorized TV interviews while serving home confinement.

The American Civil Liberties Union represents the former reality star and said Friday that Judge Nathaniel M. Gorton set a hearing Monday.

Hatch was convicted in Providence in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on his $1 million Survivor winnings. He was serving the home confinement portion of his sentence at his sister's home in Newport.

In TV interviews last month, he said the trial judge discriminated against him because he's gay. The Bureau of Prisons told his lawyer two of those interviews were unauthorized and took him into custody.

The ACLU says Hatch's First Amendment rights were violated.

Supposedly for such a smart man he can't keep his mouth shut, get a creative accountant or stay out of jail.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread