+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

FORT Fan
    It also occurs to me that JP could have called out Ms. Morasca at one point and invited her to quit, and she would have (she too asked to be voted out). Yes that would have changed that game, since she went on to win.
    Except Jenna didn't ask to be voted out. Shawna did.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    Yes, you are probably right. I guess when I said "several weeks", I meant that he was missing from my television for several weeks.
    I've done that myself many times. But I know what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    If my math is correct, in Survivor time, Bobby Jon missed 6 days of the game. I know they can't have an even number of jurors, so how about Willard? He was on Koror (I'm kidding). I just think when you quit, you should forfeit any thing in the game. Probst hated Osten for quitting, and am sure he would have hated having him on the jury, so would have found a way around it. And not to get off topic here, but if a Survivor quits like Osten did, do they also lose any prize money they would have received?
    Well, Osten did not make the Top 9 -- Janu did!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

Damn ... I missed it.

I missed when the changed the wording on the flag from ... Outwit, Outplay, Outlast ... to Outdeserve.

It's appeared to me that JP has developed quite an admiration for Stephenie and how hard she has been playing this game. But thats no reason to become part of the decision making process. Last nite JP influenced the game more than a host should ... leave the game in the hands of the players ... let them outwit, outplay and outlast.

JP has an unfair advantage. JP gets to sleep in a comfortable bed every nite, JP doesn't miss his meals, nor put up with all the other hardships of living in close proximity of the same group of strangers 24/7 for days on end, while mercilessly subjected to an insect and rat invested island. JP also gets to see what everyone is doing when watching the reviews everyday. The players are trying hard to strategize, then JP reveals their plans. Oh sure, the players don't have to answer JP, but after a lack of sleep, malnutrition and the other hardships, thinking becomes less clear.

Moreover, if JP is pissed at the number of players who have quit this year, then JP better take a long, hard look in the mirror. Who chooses these players???? Ummmmmm, JP and MB. If JP wants to ask the hard questions then he better ask the hard questions before the candidates are even chosen. Better screening by JP and MB would have given us better players. Anyone that looked at Janu on day 1 could see that she had virtually no chance on surviving 39 days. That she lasted 26 days was only because Koror never lost an IC. Is that what JP and MB had in mind ... choose 5 or 6 players that can win - deserve to win - and the rest are there as window dressing?

Did Janu deserve to go? Everyone seems to have an opinion ... but she didn't look like a quitter the day before in the RC. Maybe Ian was just pissed because Janu actually helped Gregg and Tom win the RC - instead of Ian, Stephenie and Ians precious big bellied Katie.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

no barking allowed Passion4Dogs's Avatar
    I agree that JP interfered with the TC results with his hard line questioning of Janu about her quitting. To me it seemed as if he was egging her on, almost begging her to leave after Steph sat there crying, begging to stay. Yes, Ian initiated it but JP certainly brought the decision to an end for Janu.

Is it wrong or right for JP to be that involved where he effects game play? Should he be "just the host" and issue the challenges and read the votes at TC? JP's job all along has also to been to stir things up at TC, try and get the players to lay it on the line. And that, he does very well.

Personally I think he went too far this time and I say that having Steph as my favorite. I am elated that she has another shot at this but the way that it went down left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Nicely said dawg. If I may add, JP also has a financial interest in the continued popularity of Survivor. How much does his influence play in keeping or ridding of audience favorties? Higher ratings equal higher commercial prices and product endorsments.

That article is quite interesting, actually. It looks like something else may have provoked Janu's decision to quit, or maybe, Jeff asked that question for TV. That, of course, ruins the reality concept, but whatever.

I agree with those who think that this has gone a little overboard. But, when Jeff asks a question, what are you supposed to do? "Oh no, Jeff, I'm not going to answer your silly little question". When the jury is being formed, how is that going to look? If you don't answer honestly, the jury thinks you're a liar, and if you don't answer, the jury will think you're too cocky. Besides, I don't think I could deal with not talking to Jeff if I were in TC for hours. I'm sure there's some kind of agreement that you must partake in the TC by talking to Jeff. But, I don't know the exact words on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64
    Nicely said dawg. If I may add, JP also has a financial interest in the continued popularity of Survivor. How much does his influence play in keeping or ridding of audience favorties? Higher ratings equal higher commercial prices and product endorsments.
    There was no shocking turn of events hyped for this episode though, was there? What would they say? "Jeff gets his hands dirty messing with the tribe!" or something. I don't know. Personally, I think that what he asked was a very valid question at the time.

Don't forget, Jeff asked Janu if she was completely sure. If that matters.
    Last edited by Neo-Gilgamesh; 04-23-2005 at 12:41 AM.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I agree with your entire post, dawg. After thinking about what Janu had to say, I still think Jeff overstepped the line. MB has said before that many contestants act one way in front of the producers, but act entirely different when they get on the show. Looking at the cast pre-show and the first couple of episodes, Janu was one of the last people I would have expected to quit. I'm sure if the producers thought someone would become weak or give up, they probably wouldn't cast them.

I think Jeff went too far with manipulating things as well. Survivor has always relied on good casting and good editing to create compelling storylines. Stepping in to save Steph to create a better story doesn't sit well with me. On the other hand, maybe he and Julie are over, and he did it to try to get into Steph's pants.

Jeff's "probing questions" which he asks every TC are not the same as what happened last night, because they rarely have any effect on the vote. All but the most disorganized, hapless player nowadays knows who they are voting for before they arrive at the TC set. Jeff's "calling people out", etc. doesn't really effect the vote. Encouraging someone to quit does change the outcome because he only has to change one person's mind. The fact that the producers also encouraged her to quit by telling her that she wouldn't lose her place on the jury is also disconcerting. They could have told her "Sorry, Janu, we have a policy in place, but its not fair for us to tell you. You can quit and take your chances or you can let the vote go on." Supposedly Jeff and MB hate quitters. If so, why would they tell Janu what she wanted to hear, that she would retain her place on the jury? I think they hate some quitters. They like quitters who allow them to keep one of their favorites.

I've always liked Steph, and thought she was a good competitor, but she hasn't proven herself the best competitor. Not by a long shot. She outlasted the duds on Ulong, and has always tried hard, but its not like she's Colby, or Tom, who have dominated. There have been a lot of deserving players who have gone home early. If Steph had real Survivor skills, she would have secured Tom, Ian and Katie, or another alliance to ensure that she wasn't going home. Then we could all say she deserved to be there.

+ Reply to Thread