+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Kao
    If anything, Ian is the master manipulator. Both Ian and Tom agreed that Steph had to go, but it was easy to tell that their hearts weren't in it, plus they didn't want to risk antagonizing Gregg so early. Ian saw a solution (telling Janu that she could just lay down her torch) that could keep Steph in the game further (while not unduly upsetting Gregg, which would have put an even bigger target on their backs) and voiced it. It was know to pretty much everyone that Janu did not want to be there any longer, and after throwing up at the dinner it was obvious to all that she was also sick. Jeff isn't a stupid man, he saw what Ian was trying to do and he ran with it. Nothing wrong with that.
    I so agree with what you said Kao! I don't think that Ian and Tom would have voted Stephanie off. I think they said what they said at TC and when it came to voting they would have gone with voting Janu not Stephanie off. I think that Stephanie's talking to the women about forming an alliance is a good thing, but I feel that she will try to bring Caryn or Katie to her side and they along with Tom and Ian will vote Gregg off. To Tom and Ian, Gregg is a bigger threat than Stephanie, and at this stage of the game it is a good way to get rid of Gregg!.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Considering the fact that we don't see 90% of TC it's hard to make the assumption that Jeff made her quit. I'm more inclined to believe what was in the AP article OneTV posted. And the only thing it did for Stepanie was give her three more days. If she's really trying to get an all girl alliance next week then she's gone and Tom and Ian will probably be the first one's to vote her out.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I am glad he did what he did, I sort of feel he just made sure Janu knew all her options!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I didn't think much of this last night watching the show. Although I did think it was one of the best TC ever!

I was sort of surprised to see the big response to it this morning so I rewatched just the TC scenes on Tivo. I still don't think much of it. It just seemed like a candid question thrown out there...so in your opinion, what's the difference between getting voted out and quitting (or something like that).

There were 2 things that did stand out to me during TC.
    1 - when Ian brought up "laying down the torch" I immediately thought...wow, now he's trying to get out of voting for Stephenie. Of course, maybe I'm giving him way too much credit here.

2 - When Jeff announced that Janu took herself out of the game it seemed a big emphasis on the "you will still be on the jury" part. That made me think there had been discussion on that that we didn't see (and of course I just read an article in another thread that made me realize that that was the case and Jeff had to consult with the producers on that issue)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

To me Osten and Sue Hawk quit with Osten being the most pathetic human being possible and Sue Hawk a close second.

When Jenna M left her mom was dying and I don't hold that against her.

Janu 'laid down her torch' she used the opportunity to have some power over the outcome and to strike back at the members of her tribe. Good for her.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Smitten littly Jiffy crossed the line and totally manipulated the game... i have NO problems that he got Janu to quit...

i do however have a problem with Jeff basically outing both Tom and Gregg. Tom and Gregg hd nothing to lose by answering jeffs questions- in their minds steph was going home anyway. They both admitted that the most deserving player rarely wins and other statements that implied they were booting off steph. Not only did smitten boy spare steph- he put a huge target on gregg and tom's back (a bigger target considering he's won so much already).

here's hoping the survivor gods prevail and make things right next week by ousting steph from the game.

Let's suppose JP asks somebody to give up immunity, and they are stupid enough to do it (the only one I can recall who did this was Jenna Morasca).

Now, suppose that person is voted out.

Jeff's fault, right? Complete game manipulation, the integrity of the game destroyed, right?

This question is similiar to "why don't you quit" and may have a similiar result. The biggest difference is one is a convention.

If you remember the details of Osten's quitting, he asked his tribe to vote him out. Once that came out in TC, JP polled each tribe member if they were going to do this. Only after each agreed did we hear, "Osten, bring me your torch." There was a vote, but it was not a secret ballot.

So what Osten did was essentially the same as what Jeff (the player, not the host) did earlier this season. The only difference between Jeff and Osten was Jeff was actually injured and JP didn't call him out.

It also occurs to me that JP could have called out Ms. Morasca at one point and invited her to quit, and she would have (she too asked to be voted out). Yes that would have changed that game, since she went on to win.

Considering how Janu hurled the reward feast, she was likely either sick or has some eating disorder. Might the doc's have suggested she go? Does this remind anybody of Paschal?

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo

i do however have a problem with Jeff basically outing both Tom and Gregg. Tom and Gregg hd nothing to lose by answering jeffs questions- in their minds steph was going home anyway. They both admitted that the most deserving player rarely wins and other statements that implied they were booting off steph. Not only did smitten boy spare steph- he put a huge target on gregg and tom's back (a bigger target considering he's won so much already).
    Survivors have to learn that they don't have to answer Jeff's questions, or be totally honest when answering. This is the 10th season and they still don't get it? He is trying to stir it up, and they are letting him.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    If my math is correct, in Survivor time, Bobby Jon missed 6 days of the game.
    Yes, you are probably right. I guess when I said "several weeks", I meant that he was missing from my television for several weeks.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Here are my thoughts on this episode's TC outcome:

1. I think Ian was the one who planted the seed for Janu to think about laying her torch down, and Jeff, saw the opportunity for a rating boost, guided Janu into actually doing it. Somebody posted that if Stephenie was the one voted out, I think the rating will go down. It would be interesting for the lone Ulong to be a part of the Final Four, or even the Final Two.

2. As Tom pointed out, This is not work, this is not about camaraderie, this is Survivor. So it's about Surviving anything, including Jeff's leading questions. If you are a strong willed person, you'll never fall for that question. Janu, with her health deteriorating (IMO) plus the fact that she doesn't get along with anybody, fell for it.

3. I think that by laying down her torch and being told that she's still be in the jury, the power is now shifted to her, not the 7 other contestants that she didn't get along with. She saw the chance to get back to them, and thought "hey, I can make Stephenie stay and let the 6 other original Koror members to scramble on what to do next, maybe they'll start eliminating each other!" and THAT is a great way to fight back.

4. I was just so happy that Stephenie wasn't voted out.

+ Reply to Thread