+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

FORT Newbie
    I've often wondered if any of the producers or MB himself ever give JP a question or two to explore at TC.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    I thought last year on Survivor Live Jeff said he goes into tribal council knowing nothing about the past three days other than what he sees on the challenges, this includes looking at any of the confessionals. I would think viewing anything would be very difficult to do with the hours and hours of tape being taken. Even if the confessionals were on a different roll of film. How long are these confessionals, how many confessionals do the contestants do in a day, and how many takes per confessional would be the average? It definitely would not just be the 2 or 3 seconds we see.
    Maybe the camera men brief him? I find it hard to believe that Jeff knows nothing when they come to TC, considering his questioning. But maybe that explains why he sometimes pushes an issue or digs deep.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg
    Actually I think they do have a pretty good idea who has the charisma to become fan favorites. They may not know completely how the viewers will react, but I'm pretty sure they knew Rupert was a TV gem when he walked thru the door. People, and particularily young people, like bigger than life heros - and both Stephenie and Rupert have been heros. They've both overcome big odds but are considered ordinary people by the masses. I'm sure MB and JP saw that characteristic during the process of chosing candidates.
    I respectfully disagree. Rupert definitely had an over-the-top personality that could endear him to viewers. Stephenie has shown absolutely nothing in her personality to set her apart during the candidate interview process.

After Ulong fell, they could certainly speculate that she would be one that viewers would root for since she was the lone survivor for her team, but not before that.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Well, I think Jeff could figure out the lay of the land without seeing anything but the challenges. I mean, obviously Stephenie was not only the lone Ulong survivor, but she had proven herself to be a strong competitor already -- logically she will make future TCs more interesting than Janu, who has consistently shown herself to be weird and unfriendly and who wanted to go home.

I'm just saying, Jeff isn't stupid, he probably didn't need to pore over hours of tape to size these things up pretty quickly on the spot at tribal council.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Maybe the camera men brief him? I find it hard to believe that Jeff knows nothing when they come to TC, considering his questioning. But maybe that explains why he sometimes pushes an issue or digs deep.
    I thought Tribal Council lasts hours not just the few minutes we see. I am sure Jeff could ask a slew of questions related and not related to what was going on in the tribe. And I think that it is up to the editors and producers to decide which questions Jeff asks gets airtime. This might make it look like Jeff know more about what is going on than he actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    I thought Tribal Council lasts hours not just the few minutes we see. I am sure Jeff could ask a slew of questions related and not related to what was going on in the tribe. And I think that it is up to the editors and producers to decide which questions Jeff asks gets airtime. This might make it look like Jeff know more about what is going on than he actually does.
    I have always assumed that Jeff was briefed somehow so he could ask relevant questions. But, yeah, I've heard that TC lasts a few hours, so there are probably a lot of irrelevant questions in there, too. We are obviously just seeing the highlights. When it seems that he is directing a question to Ian - just to pick someone - for a specific reason, maybe he's asked others the same question as well. And since Ian (or whomever) gave an interesting response, that exchange makes it into the show and makes it appear that Jeff has more insight than he really does.

PS - I'd love to see a "making of Survivor" show. I don't know if they put that kind of stuff on the DVD's, but that would make the DVD's more appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    With all this talk about Jeff manipulating things at TC - seems to me we are overlooking IAN's role - didn't HE say (before Jeff started in) something to the effect that "I see no difference in what Janu is saying ((re: asking to be voted off))) and laying down your torch" I think that was the jumping off point, and Steph should be grateful to Ian for opening up that can of worms.
    In the interest of accuracy I've transcribed the relevant portion of the Tribal Council. I'm not going to guarantee 100% accuracy but I think it's pretty darn close.
    • Tom: Yah, it all gamesmanship now. Nobody's voting based on, ah, who they like or who makes me laugh. The game is on and people are basing their votes on how it positions them in the game and eliminating competition is part of this game.
    • Steph: *cringes and shakes head*
    • Jeff: Gregg, same question.
    • Gregg: It's, it's not a question of worthiness and I think threat, you know. Everyone that, that wants to win the million dollars here is, is a threat to me. I mean, you definitely want someone in the game who's not gonna really try then you would someone who's given five million percent. And some plans have been established and some people may be threats within those plans. Unfortunately, you know, Survivor isn't always about fairness and who deserves what.
    • Steph: *hangs head in despair*
    • Jeff: Katie, why keep you?
    • Katie: Why keep me?
    • Coby: *Changes to "thinker" pose*
    • Jeff: Yah.
    • Katie: Well, I don't pose any threat at this point. Especially as far as challenges go.
    • Jeff: Janu. Why keep you?
    • Janu: *shakes head* No reason, they can get rid of me.
    • Steph: *sigh*
    • Jeff: There's no reason they should keep you?
    • Janu: No because, I mean, I have to be honest. I had a really rocky road so, if I was them God I'd be sick of myself already.
    • Jeff: You almost seem like you want to go home.
    • Janu: It doesn't matter Jeff, what ever happens, happens. I'm, I'm completely satisfied *shrug*
    • Jeff: Is there a part of you that wants to say 'vote me out'?
    • Janu: Yes absolutely but I don't know what they'll do.
    • Jeff: Ian, why keep somebody who's saying 'I want out of this game, I'm not going back to camp'?
    • Ian: Well if you feel like you don't want to continue in this game, if you feel like, you know, you want to set your torch down then you have the power to do that. You have the ability and the power to put your torch down at any time and there's nobody keeping you here.
    • Jeff: Stephenie, if looks could kill, Janu would be on the ground.
    • It's just, it's just, it's nothing against Janu, it this it, it kills me. I can't even... Someone who I feel like could care less if, if there even here. Ah. And here I am like, I'd kill to be here.
    • Janu: Yah but that, what you need to understand from my point is that I already received what I needed to receive from this whole experience.
    • Steph: And you're fine with it. You're.
    • Janu: Yes.
    • Steph: You could care less if you leave right now.
    • Janu: Yes, that's, that's correct.
    • Steph: I care. I. I'm not done playing this game. And like, someone asks me to vote them out? See yah. *waves*. Because you don't deserve to be here. *sniff* and um.
    • Jeff: So you feel that you're on the hot seat tonight.
    • Steph: *voice breaking* I know I am. *squeaks* *sniff* it's just it's not that it's, it kills me that someone who wants to basically go home that bad *sniff* these people will keep around just because, I don't know why. I guess I showed too much heart and too much will *sniff*.
    • Jeff: Tom, in your profession, unity, camaraderie, big part of it. When you hear somebody like that laying it out and you have somebody next to them who's saying please get rid of me, is there a dilemma for you?
    • Tom: There is a dilemma, um. Stephenie would fit into a 108 truck in a moment
    • Steph: ah.
    • Tom: and everybody in the company would be proud to work with her and it's, it's not work and it's not camaraderie, it's Survivor. So, there's a huge difference there.
    • Jeff: Janu, if you had your way, what would happen tonight?
    • Janu: I would ask the tribe to vote me out and keep Stephenie in.
    • Jeff: What's the difference between you laying your torch down and you looking to this group and saying 'vote me out'?
    • Coby: *bites nails*
    • Janu: I guess after reflecting and um, understanding this*, there would be no difference. So I would be willing to lay down my torch so that Stephenie can have a chance to stay in the game.
    • Coby: *Hides face in hands*
    • Steph: Not just for me, if she wants to lay down her torch and she wants to quit this game she can do it. But, not on my account.
    • Janu: Do you want me to rephrase it? What I am saying is I will lay down my torch and I don't want Stephenie to feel that I am doing it for her, that's something that I have to do.
    • Jeff: I just want to be clear. You are, on your own, quitting this game.
    • Janu: Yes Jeff, I will lay down my torch this evening.
    • Jeff: Well I don't know if it's appropriate, we have rain coming down. Maybe this is your final epiphany or cleansing moment. I see that you brought all your belongings go ahead and gather them, bring your torch over.
    • Janu: *Gathers belongings and brings torch over to Jeff*
    • Jeff: Janu as per your wishes this game is over for you but you will not go home, you will return and be part of our jury. *snuffs torch*
    • Janu: Thank you Jeff.
    • Jeff: Good night. *Lays down torch*
    • Coby: *smirks*
    • Jeff: Another strange turn of events at Tribal Council. Steph, you've hung in there for a long time, overcome a lot of odds. You escaped another one tonight. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Grab your torches guys, head back to camp. Good night.

* I believe what she's referring to here is understanding that by laying her torch down she will still be part of the Jury.

FORT Newbie

CNN story on Janu quitting

Found this on CNN today. Sounds like TC lasted for several hours and Janu wanted to quit but was concerned she wouldn't be on the jury. She also clarifies the appearance of Jeff leading her into quitting.

CNN Article

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    PS - I'd love to see a "making of Survivor" show. I don't know if they put that kind of stuff on the DVD's, but that would make the DVD's more appealing to me.
    For me too. I want to see all the interviews (confessionals) in their entirty including the guy asking the questions. The entire tribal councils, etc. There is so much to a show like this they we don't see they could put a season out on DVD with a 100 hours of extras no problem.

Here is the text:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Quitters never win, but if they make it far enough on "Survivor," they get to be on the jury.

Janu Tornell, 39, became the fourth person in "Survivor" history to quit the competition, but she'll still help decide the winner of the $1 million prize as a member of the nine-person jury -- a heated issue the tribal council cameras didn't capture.

"It wasn't to save Stephenie (LaGrossa) in the game," Tornell told The Associated Press Friday. "It ended up like that. At the same time, it was almost like a power play because I threw a wrench into their game."

The former Las Vegas showgirl said host Jeff Probst didn't coerce her into departing "Survivor: Palau," although it may have seemed otherwise.

"He aided me," said Tornell. "I was at the point where I thought, 'I want to go, but I don't want to jeopardize being part of the jury.' I was still battling with 'quitter.' I hate that word. But I did it. I laid down my torch. No regrets whatsoever."

Viewers didn't see Tornell's concern about whether she would be on the jury if she quit the CBS reality show. After going back and forth for several hours, Tornell said Probst asked for a break in the filming.

"The cameras stopped," said Tornell. "Tribal council got really heated. You guys didn't even get any part of that. (Probst) goes, 'This is off the record. What's going on, Janu? What are you worried about?' And I said, 'Basically, I don't want to lose my place in the jury. I don't know where this takes me.' "

Tornell said Probst left the tribal council area and consulted with producers. (The three players who quit "Survivor" in previous seasons departed before juries were formed.)

"It was all a new drama situation for everybody involved," said Tornell.

Probst returned and assured Tornell that she wouldn't forfeit her place on the jury by quitting. The cameras started back up, and Tornell did just that.

Now, as a jury member, she'll be on the lookout for the player "who I thought played the game the best."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread