+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 161

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

  1. #131
    1/3 Fonzarelli kungfuhippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    But Shady.... when these things are being filmed they have absolutely no idea who is going to be a fan favorite and who is not. The viewing audience could just as easily have wanted to see a complete Pagonging of Ulong (or Ulonging, if you will) and therefore wanted Stephenie gone.
    Fan favorites don't just happen, they're made in the editing room. Steph's underdog story is a compelling one and has been a focus, especially the last 3 weeks or so. Janu's story - a sickly woman who lies in a hammock all day - is not compelling, so we've haven't seen much of her. MB and Co. have been doing this long enough that they recognize a story which will resonate with the audience.

  2. #132
    Evil Slash Crazy Miss Filangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Looking for a place to happen
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,376
    I also think on a personal level, Jeff was offended. Ratings, compelling storylines, potential fan favorites aside, Jeff hates quitters. He pulled no punches with Osten back in the Pearl Islands and I think that if Janu was open about wanting to quit, as she seemed to be, and the rest of the tribe was prepared to keep her, I'm sure that frustrated the hell out of him. I'm not sure if he deliberately set out to tamper with the vote, but he certainly seemed passionate about the outcome.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.


  3. #133
    Scratchin' an itch dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the dawg house
    Age
    69
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    With all this talk about Jeff manipulating things at TC - seems to me we are overlooking IAN's role - didn't HE say (before Jeff started in) something to the effect that "I see no difference in what Janu is saying ((re: asking to be voted off))) and laying down your torch" I think that was the jumping off point, and Steph should be grateful to Ian for opening up that can of worms.
    Ian is in an alliance with Stephenie so his comment is expected. This approach gives the impression that Ian and Gregg are adversaries - and although they look like they have some kind of testosterone alliance they really aren't primary allies.


    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    But Shady.... when these things are being filmed they have absolutely no idea who is going to be a fan favorite and who is not. The viewing audience could just as easily have wanted to see a complete Pagonging of Ulong (or Ulonging, if you will) and therefore wanted Stephenie gone.
    Actually I think they do have a pretty good idea who has the charisma to become fan favorites. They may not know completely how the viewers will react, but I'm pretty sure they knew Rupert was a TV gem when he walked thru the door. People, and particularily young people, like bigger than life heros - and both Stephenie and Rupert have been heros. They've both overcome big odds but are considered ordinary people by the masses. I'm sure MB and JP saw that characteristic during the process of chosing candidates.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

  4. #134
    Scratchin' an itch dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In the dawg house
    Age
    69
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I also think on a personal level, Jeff was offended. Ratings, compelling storylines, potential fan favorites aside, Jeff hates quitters. He pulled no punches with Osten back in the Pearl Islands and I think that if Janu was open about wanting to quit, as she seemed to be, and the rest of the tribe was prepared to keep her, I'm sure that frustrated the hell out of him. I'm not sure if he deliberately set out to tamper with the vote, but he certainly seemed passionate about the outcome.
    My concern is inconsistency. JP asked what is the difference between quitting and asking your tribemates to vote you off and then "pulled no punches", why did he pull punches with Ashlee and Jeff Wilson ?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

  5. #135
    Leo
    Leo is offline
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,033
    I think Jeff doesn't really mind too much those who quit by asking the tribemates to vote them off. He may not like it, and may lean the TC questions a certain way, but he doesn't have the distaste he had for those who out and out quit like Osten and Janu.

  6. #136
    FORT Fanatic TellTaleOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKLove
    With all this talk about Jeff manipulating things at TC - seems to me we are overlooking IAN's role - didn't HE say (before Jeff started in) something to the effect that "I see no difference in what Janu is saying ((re: asking to be voted off))) and laying down your torch" I think that was the jumping off point, and Steph should be grateful to Ian for opening up that can of worms.

    Exactly. I guess folks are just upset because Jeff reworded what Ian said and let Janu answer that question. Had Jeff let that question fall flat on the ground instead of asking the "boot Stephanie" folks would be happy.

    Remember, Jeff is not hiding in the bushes or watching cameras while the tribe is not at RC or IC. He has no clue on who is in an alliance and who will potentially get voted out, or who asked to be voted out, unless someone brings that information to the table. If someone brings that information to the table, it is then fair game for Jeff to interrogate or not interrogate about the information revealed. His role at Tribal Council is to find as much information about what went on in the tribe for the past three days. If you as a player out your alliance or reveal your threat as a tribe member during tribal council it is your fault, not Jeff's. If Jeff is not allowed to ask questions, including the questions OTHER contestants bring up why have a host at tribal council at all?

    If Jeff asked the question without Ian bringing it up first I would agree that Jeff stepped out of line. BUT Ian did bring up the question first. Putting the question on the table. Since the question was put on the table it was a legal question for Jeff to ask.

    And Honestly, any Koror could sit in the final two spot and say that if it weren't for Janu, Stephanie would not be in the game and they made it to the final two without the crutch of a "lucky" quit and win a cool mill. If Sandra did it in 7 so can any surviving Koror. Although, I do not think anyone in Koror would be smart enough to think that way and she will be voted out before the final two.

  7. #137
    FORT Fanatic TellTaleOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg
    My concern is inconsistency. JP asked what is the difference between quitting and asking your tribemates to vote you off and then "pulled no punches", why did he pull punches with Ashlee and Jeff Wilson ?
    Probably because the question was not asked by another Tribe Member. Question not on the table. Jeff doesn't ask it.

  8. #138
    Starbucks is your friend Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    12,166
    Well I think Jeff does review the daily confessionals and tape, so I think he is quite informed of what is going on in the tribes.

    I do think he stepped over the line, but I also think he didn't go into the TC with intent to do that, it just kind of evolved.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

  9. #139
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    Remember, Jeff is not hiding in the bushes or watching cameras while the tribe is not at RC or IC. He has no clue on who is in an alliance and who will potentially get voted out, or who asked to be voted out, unless someone brings that information to the table.



    And Honestly, any Koror could sit in the final two spot and say that if it weren't for Janu, Stephanie would not be in the game and they made it to the final two without the crutch of a "lucky" quit and win a cool mill. If Sandra did it in 7 so can any surviving Koror. Although, I do not think anyone in Koror would be smart enough to think that way and she will be voted out before the final two.
    Does Jeff not have a clue what goes on? I would think he would. The first few seasons of Survivor Jeff just was a bystander and never inflected any spice in things or called people out. I like the fact that he's rubbing a little salt in wounds or calling attention to things that are obvious to all of us. Did he cross the line this time? That's debatable.

    And you've got a fine point with your second statement up there. That's good strategy.

  10. #140
    FORT Fanatic TellTaleOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Well I think Jeff does review the daily confessionals and tape, so I think he is quite informed of what is going on in the tribes.

    I do think he stepped over the line, but I also think he didn't go into the TC with intent to do that, it just kind of evolved.
    I thought last year on Survivor Live Jeff said he goes into tribal council knowing nothing about the past three days other than what he sees on the challenges, this includes looking at any of the confessionals. I would think viewing anything would be very difficult to do with the hours and hours of tape being taken. Even if the confessionals were on a different roll of film. How long are these confessionals, how many confessionals do the contestants do in a day, and how many takes per confessional would be the average? It definitely would not just be the 2 or 3 seconds we see.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.