+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

FORT Fogey
    Is JP now under the spell of Stephanie?
    Maybe he wanted to keep her around longer cuz he liked seeing her buff body in that little bra...

I still think the vote should have continued cuz if Janu wanted to leave, then the TISK alliance only had to stick together and vote her out b/c Janu would have voted for someone else and the other 3 would have voted for Steph, but the TISK alliance would be in the driver's seat...

Not that I like or dislike Janu or Steph, but I was very uncomfortable watching Jeff's mind game with Janu, given the fragile state she was in. He pretty much worked on her until she agreed to quit. I was hopeful at one point that she was going to say, you know, after thinking about it for a minute, I'm committed to winning this game, let's vote! but then she took that moment to confirm Jeff's idea that she quit and that just sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg
    I don't want to see JP manipulate how players play the game ... that's not his role.
    Yes it is, that is exactly his role.

Asking tough questions is what viewers want to see, but the day that Survivor becomes the Jiffy Puppet Show is the day I stop watching. I don't tune in to see a well rested and well fed JP, I want to see how castaways deal with the conditions and with each other.
    Jeff is one of the conditions the contestants have to deal with.

Moreover, JP has to be very careful that a castaway doesn't come back and sue him and Survivor for forcing them out of the game.
    How can Jeff FORCE someone out of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    Yes it is, that is exactly his role.

Jeff is one of the conditions the contestants have to deal with.

How can Jeff FORCE someone out of the game?
    DB

You and I are going to disagree on a few points - and that's okay with me.

Jeff is at an unfair advantage in his role. As I have said before, Jeff is well rested and Jeff is well fed, Jeff is not in constant contact will the same group of people and Jeff gets to see what everyone is doing when they are strategizing. Because contestants are weakened by lack of sleep and lack of nutrition, they don't think as clearly under that kind of stress as they would when rested and fed. And Jeff has the opportunity to plan how he wants to direct TC, while the survivors only have a chance to react. I still believe it is not Jeffs role to manipulate ( defn - to move, arrange, operate, or control ..., to influence or manage shrewdly or deviously, ... to tamper with or falsify for personal gain) the game. I believe he did control and tamper with the game in an inapproriate way.

As I said before, Jeff has to be careful about how he plays his role. If he overplays his role - as I believe he did in this case - then he controls the game, the game will be about him amd how contestants react to him. If that happens - I'm not watching. I don't watch Survivor to see how castaways are dealing with the host.

Stacy Stillman was threatening to sue MB and Survivor for what she percieved as influencing the vote to eliminate her instead of Rudy. And that's the key point - suits are often based on perception. If someone perceives that Jeff used his position to take advantage of them when they were in a weakened, tired and hungry condition that perception would be that they were forced. It's not what you or I judge ... it's what they perceive, and on day 27 perceptions are different than they were on day 1.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

Okay, Forget Janu for a moment, what about Gregg's rights?
    Steph wants to win, and so does Gregg just as much.
    By keeping Steph, Gregg's plan to win is being harmed (probably fatally).

And Jeff has the opportunity to plan how he wants to direct TC, while the survivors only have a chance to react.
    If the contestants have watched previous incarnations of the show, they should be able to anticipate Jeff's questions. Given the amount of time that they have available for thinking (most of the camp chores are menial, requiring little thought,) they should have a pretty good idea what they may be asked and how they want to answer.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

You could say Jeff also changed the outcome of the RC by stating the obvious ... Janu and Caryn hanging on while letting Gregg and Tom do the all work. Then, it works better when all four are working as a team ect ... ect ... it made Janu dig deep to find whatever it was so she could help tho I did think she was going to die trying. While the comment you are only as strong as your weakest team member did nothing to kick Katie's butt in gear.

Jeff has said more to others and not had this outcome. Janu wanted to go therefore she quit.

DB
    You and I are going to disagree on a few points - and that's okay with me.
    Disagreeing is what it's all about, if everyone agreed with each other this board would be boring. It's taking the disagreement personally that's bad.

Jeff is at an unfair advantage in his role.
    Jeff isn't competing with them. Jeff is one of the obstacles on the obstacle course.

I still believe it is not Jeff's role to manipulate [snip] the game. I believe he did control and tamper with the game in an inappropriate way.
    Maybe it's because I'm coming into the show late but I have no problem with Jeff's questioning. The contestants can choose to answer the questions honestly, dishonestly, try to mislead, avoid answering or answer like a politician -- answer a question that wasn't asked. The players know it's coming they need to plan out their "talking points".

As I said before, Jeff has to be careful about how he plays his role. If he overplays his role - as I believe he did in this case - then he controls the game, the game will be about him and how contestants react to him.
    How they react to Jeff is certainly part of the game. As long as Jeff isn't giving away secrets by saying stuff like "When you two were off by yourselves you made this agreement, does that still hold?" then I say ask away.

If that happens - I'm not watching. I don't watch Survivor to see how castaways are dealing with the host.
    That's certainly your prerogative. My main point in posting was to show amazement at the people saying that Jeff "forced" Janu to quit. Janu would have quit last week if she had known she'd still be on the jury, I don't think she quit this week because Ian put the idea in her head or because Jeff asked what's the difference between quiting and asking to be voted out. Clearly she wanted to quit, if she didn't want to quit she could have let it go to a vote.

I can accept the opinion that Jeff influenced her decision too much for someone's preference. But to say that he "forced her to quit" is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Well, Gregg was definitely on to something when he said that Stephanie was a story in the making. The producers and Jeff realize this too. They know that if Stephanie manages to survive the losingest tribe ever, AND beat 8 to 1 odds on Koror, AND somehow wins this thing, it would be the greatest ending yet. I think that they will do just about anything, short of going Tonya Harding/Jeff Gillooly on Koror, to keep Stephanie in this game.

Quite simply, Stephanie equals ratings gold. No Stephanie, and Koror picking itself off, is ratings suicide.

Normally, I would think that Jeff was way out of line. Strangely, I don't seem to mind. Must be because Stephanie freaking ROCKS! Is that wrong of me?

Hi Faithdad, to the site

I didn't mind either and like you say normally Jeff interfering would bother me.
    Voting off Stephenie would have been a good move, but I really didn't want Janu to remain in the game simply because the others knew she was weak and easy pickings in the future.

It would be a great story if Steph could win.

most episodes you get the watered down version of JP's questions.. edited into a tight little package of (un)notable quotables.. he probes every week.. pushing a button here and there based on the daily video feeds he watches.. it just so happened that THIS night he was able to dig a little deeper than usual and went with it.. there have been numerous occasions where he has been seen to pick at open wounds in order to amplify the drama.. this occasion wasn't much different.. he simply got more out of his probing than normal..

aside from that it isn't uncommon for him to date the occasional survivor contestant.. what better way to get some action than to be the hero.. steph's a pretty awsome catch if he landed her =)

+ Reply to Thread