+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeff cashes in his markers tonight

Kao
    It was still Janu's decision to quit though. It wasn't like he MADE her quit, she could have easily had said "No, I'm staying." Then Stephanie would probably had been the one who was voted out.

Silent all these years... caragwapa's Avatar
    I dont think JP question was out of line. I think it was a logical question to Janu's statements. Even I was asking the same question. And the article showed why Janu thought there was a difference. BEcause she still wanted to be in the jury. When she was told that she was still going to be in the jury in either case, it prompted her to realize that asking to be voted out and quitting would bring about the same consequences(getting out of the gane but still retaining her jury seat), exept that if she quitted(which she did), she was sure she would be gone then and there.

FORT Fanatic
    I don't really want to stick up for Janu, but everyone is comparing her to Osten quitting and how Jeff didn't hide his comtempt for him when he quit.I think there's a huge difference between him and janu: Osten wasn't terribly thin, getting sick,etc, the way Janu was. I think he just lost interest and quit, not due to any physical problem.And Sue Hawk quitting All-Star was worse than Janu, IMO.I thought she way over-reacted to what happened with Richard during that challenge. Frankly, I was a little suprised Janu wanted to quit after her strong showig during the reward challenge and doing well on her night alone.But I'm glad Steph is still in.I just hope she tries to get Tom ot, he sure turned on her despite having an alliance with her. And I think Janu should have her jury spot, regardless of ow she went out. That is a perk of having gone to a certain point in the game.

It is easy for us to second guess people getting burned out on Survivor.It has to be tough living that way.The producers must have seen something in the people they pick for the show, but if someone gets there and finds it overwhelming-and Janu certainly looked like it was taking it's toll on her-I jus don't think it's fair to call them a lazy, quitter. But that seems to be the cool thing to do.

I think it is really hard to form a real judgement about this issue because there are so many things we don't know or get to see. ALL tribal councils go own for hours and we only see a few minutes. We also only see a few minutes of three days worth of tape. How can we know for sure that the questions asked at tribal councils have or have not influenced past votes? We don't know all that ahs been said, we don't see all the conervsations that happen before and we certainly don't know what the players really think.

Because of all that we can't say for sure how big a role Jeff played in janu's quitting, or even if Steph really was going to get voted out had Janu not quit.
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

This was an unfortunate episode for the Survivor franchise. While I like Steph, I hope she does not win because in my opinion it would be tainted.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Gilgamesh
    But, when Jeff asks a question, what are you supposed to do? "Oh no, Jeff, I'm not going to answer your silly little question". When the jury is being formed, how is that going to look? If you don't answer honestly, the jury thinks you're a liar, and if you don't answer, the jury will think you're too cocky. Besides, I don't think I could deal with not talking to Jeff if I were in TC for hours. I'm sure there's some kind of agreement that you must partake in the TC by talking to Jeff. But, I don't know the exact words on paper.
    It's not like they have to refuse to answer, there are ways to skate around the questions. Politicians and pro athletes do it all the time, they simple spit out some cliches or ramble on about nothing. Other contestants have done it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    The idea is that Jeff is not supposed to be screwing with anything.
    Since when? I must point out that this is the first season of Survivor I've watched in it's entirety but Jeff has always asked questions at Tribal Council and screwed with the players. Jeff was 100% right, asking to be voted out is quiting. Plus Ian brought it up first!

FORT Fanatic
    I don’t think Jeff was out of line on this. His TC comments and frank questioning of competitors before the vote have always been designed to get the tribe or individuals thinking differently about how they perceive their tribe mates or the way the game is playing out, therefore he is influencing the game all the way through. Last season, he suggested strongly that Chris could be ‘valuble’ when he was the last guy and next TC he wasn’t voted out (as per previous plans made by the women).

To me, this is part of what makes Survivor interesting because the competitors can be subtley manipulated like this when they are in the state that they’re usually in … increasingly more tired, weak, hungry as the game goes on and mentally susceptible to Jeff’s acute observations about the dynamics of the tribe.

Aside from Janu, he revealed Tom to be much more of game playing threat than the tribe previously thought. Wonder if they picked up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    I also don't think Janu would come right out and say Jeff forced her to leave.
    Jeff can't force anyone to leave! Could he force Steph to quit? Tom? Ian? Gregg? No! So how did he FORCE Janu to quit? Janu wanted to quit, period.
    Last edited by Danger Bunny; 04-23-2005 at 02:51 PM. Reason: to fix my crappy typing

Quote Originally Posted by karalott

MB has said before that many contestants act one way in front of the producers, but act entirely different when they get on the show. Looking at the cast pre-show and the first couple of episodes, Janu was one of the last people I would have expected to quit. I'm sure if the producers thought someone would become weak or give up, they probably wouldn't cast them.
    Good point ... Stephanie from Thailand was a perfect example of someone whose tape was a lot better than her performance. So they could bring their final 100 choices to LA, wake them up at 4AM, take them to an airport hangar where the temperature is 90 degrees with 100% humidity, release a few hundred flies and a couple dozen rats, then put them thru an obstacle course that takes an hour to complete at 4PM, then interview them at 10PM and see how well they handle an interrogating interview. I suspect a few of the hundred would reconsider getting their hour of fame from Survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64
    ... If I may add, JP also has a financial interest in the continued popularity of Survivor. How much does his influence play in keeping or ridding of audience favorties? Higher ratings equal higher commercial prices and product endorsments.
    That is also an excellent point. Although I am NOT a Stephenie fan, a great majority of viewers are her fans .. the longer she lasts, the more interested these fans are. Agreed.

Other posters have commented on how JP treats quitters differently. Where was the interrogation when Ashlee wimped out on day 6? Why didn't JP jump all over a smiling Jeff Wilson when he told Ulong to vote him off? If JP is going to use that question, "What's the difference between asking people to vote you off, and quitting?", then he should be consistant.

From season to season Survivors learn how to play the game. In an interview earlier this season, JP said that he found Julie a frustrating player in S9. He would ask her a question, and she would answer, 'that's a good question Jeff. I don't know.' If contestants would all refuse to answer JPs questions, or answer - gee, Jeff, that's a good question I'll have to think about it - how interesting would TC be? JP has to be careful that no-one wants to play with him. I'd prefer players lie to JP than refuse to answer.

I don't want to see JP manipulate how players play the game ... that's not his role. Asking tough questions is what viewers want to see, but the day that Survivor becomes the Jiffy Puppet Show is the day I stop watching. I don't tune in to see a well rested and well fed JP, I want to see how castaways deal with the conditions and with each other.

Moreover, JP has to be very careful that a castaway doesn't come back and sue him and Survivor for forcing them out of the game.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.- Steven Wright

+ Reply to Thread