+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The decimation of Ulong....

The decimation of Ulong....

So, the big question in the gaebolga household is why Ulong sucked the pipe so hard. Obviously, Ulong looked like a serious physical threat in the beginning, what with all the young hardbodies swarming around the beach hauling trees and looking buff, but when it came time to actually perform, they flopped. Usually pretty badly.

I’m tempted to chalk it up to a combination of their incredible antipathy towards all things leader-like and a profound lack of applied intellect (a classic example of why brain plus brawn will beat the crap out of brawn plus brawn, even with a couple of hands tied behind brain-plus-brawn’s back), but I suspect there’s a bit more to it than that. I’m not entirely sure what it is, though. The Ulong women seemed both stronger and smarter than the Koror women (except for Kim, of course...although I suspect Kim was stronger than Caryn and Janu), but the tribe’s anarchic aspirations seemed to prevent any good from coming of this advantage. The Ulong men, on the other hand, were obviously outclassed in the smarts department by the Koror guys, but I don’t think it became apparent that they also weren’t all that much stronger than most of the Koror men until the third IC (or whichever one was the “march-through-the-ocean-with-weighted-backpacks” challenge). I suspect that the combination of inferior tactical abilities (in terms of winning the challenges), inferior teamwork, inferior nutrition (once the Koror tribe started bringing in snake meat, clams, shark steaks, etc.), and steadily declining morale was the quadfecta of doom for Ulong.

I don’t think that Koror is the best tribe ever to play the game (I think that Rotu was probably the best), but I do think that Ulong is the worst tribe ever to play the game, and I think the scope of the difference in abilities between Koror and Ulong is vastly greater than between any other two tribes that shared the same season. I guess Ulong is (was?) living proof that image is nothing when compared to substance, unless one is pursuing a modeling career.

How many of the Ulong members were models again?

A lot of reasons for their problems:

Obviously, the lack of a leader was a big part of it. There was no unity in the tribe.

The Ulongs had no food. Even with a hawaiian sling they couldn't bring in much food. The men at Koror had to feed a huge tribe and they've been able to do it. Not sure why the men at Ulong couldn't do it.

Why was Bobby Jon leading the puzzle challenge last week. Sure seemed like a dumb decision to me.

James should have been voted off long before he was.

Jeff getting hurt had to really hurt them. They probably could have won the march through the water thing if he had been in top shape. They at least would have had him and not Kim an extra 3 days.

Stephanies predicament reminds me of Boston Rob. He was on the now second most losingest team. Yet on All-Stars when put on a different team he kicked some major Survivor butt on the challenges. He single-handedly won at least 2 challenges. Would love to see Stephanie come back with a new team. Hope she survives to the Final 4 this round. If Vee can do it Stephanie definitely deserves to do it.

I have to agree with the two previous posts.

The Ulongs self-destructed because:
    No clear leader
    lack of food
    losing Jeff due to his ankle
    Kim being totally useless
    Ibe being all flash and no substance
    Offing Jolanda too soon
    Misplaced overconfidence

The tribe has coined a new phrase, Ulonging.
    Similar to Pagonging, but it would stand for a tribe self-destructing instead of getting picked off by the other tribe.

Latah,
    Rpow

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I think, simply..that Tom wasn't on Ulong's tribe. That's why.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fanatic
    Well, this is really interesting news (for me) that Ulong has been wiped out! I have been away on vacation for the past month and have not seen an episode since Jeff was booted out. But after the 2nd episode, from what was seen and hinted at (Probst and season of 'firsts') I predicted that Ulong would lose every single IC up to a merge!

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...18#post1285818

Now I return from a month in New Zealand and see it has actually happened!

Sounds like they were indeed the worst tribe in Survivor history.
    Last edited by Netcam; 04-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpow

No clear leader
    lack of food
    Offing Jolanda too soon
    Misplaced overconfidence

Similar to Pagonging, but it would stand for a tribe self-destructing instead of getting picked off by the other tribe.

Latah,
    Rpow

I think that "misplaced overconfidence" was a huge factor. They thought they were better than they were and didn't work like they were underdogs.

Love the term "Ulonging".
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpow

No clear leader
    lack of food
    Offing Jolanda too soon
    Misplaced overconfidence

Latah,
    Rpow
    Pretty much what you and everyone else have said. They had a leader in Jolanda, but they didn't want it. To me, it seemed like Jeff, James, Bobby Jon, and Steph all wanted the leader spot, but either were too afraid to speak up or didn't know how to take it. I'll always wonder if they picked Jonathan over Ib if that might have made a difference. At least he wouldn't have slacked in the challenges. I wasn't surprised when Ulong lost their first IC, because it was kind of obvious that was going to happen when they went on and on about how they were the stronger tribe. But when they lost the third one in a row, I was beginning to wonder what went wrong. Even without Jolanda, I still think they were stronger than Koror. Their tribe dynamic didn't even seem as bad as those in the past, when tribes had an obvious divide. Maybe their other problem is that Koror wasn't going to follow a past tribe's position (like Drake in PI) and throw a challenge to get rid of someone that annoyed them. Usually when one tribe who was dominating throws a challenge, it's all downhill for them. Ulong is down to one, and it will probably always be one of those Survivor things that boogles my mind that I'll never understand why this tribe sucked and sucked so badly (and with a lot of the challenges, it's not even like they came close to winning. At least the only other tribe in Survivor history to lose all their challenges, Maraamu, came close).

ETA: I also love the term Ulonging. I was wondering what we could say happened to Ulong, because Pagonged means the other tribe picked you off.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-08-2005 at 03:59 PM.

I think the problem is also a lack of mental toughness at Ulong - separate from the brains vs. brawn issue. Steph is very tough mentally, but none of her teammates seemed to be. They all gave up too easily, both in challenges and in general. Some people just don't have that competitive fire that it takes to be a winner.

yeah, some of the members of ulong seemed to buckle under pressure

i think the reason they self destructed was

1. getting rid of jolanda
    2. jeff getting hurt
    3. no leader
    4. not using thier brains in the challenges

i also think that when they competed, they put a lot of pressure on each other, like if somoene was falling behind you always hear, "hurry up hurry up" well that can really screw someone up and make them nervous, whereas on koror, if somoene was falling behind, they'd be like "you can do it, take your time" like when willard was trailing behind in the water challenge, you didnt hear anyone go "COME ON" like you would had it been ulong, or when katie couldnt swing on that rope to save her life, no one yelled at her, i really think those kinds of things make a difference

maybe ulong was just too competitive for thier own good

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I was going to say the mental issue as well. It seemed like it got to a point after being on a losing streak that Ulong acted like they just didn't care anymore, with the exception of Steph and Bobby Jon. I think it might have been after Jeff left that they acted like they were only putting forth half their energy in the challenges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast