+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The decimation of Ulong....

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar
    Had it not been a puzzle, Stephanie and BJ should have won.

If they didn't have to think too hard....

The story of Ulong right there.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrjar
    BJ, I recall...also carried more of those sand bags than anyone.
    I remember seeing BJ carrying a lot more bags than anyone else on Ulong during that challenge, and I remember thinking how stupid that was. A better strategy would have been to balance out the bags more; keep your strongest as fresh as possible as long as possible. Koror seemed to keep the number of bags fairly equal among the remaining marchers, which makes a whole lot more sense to me (and seems to have worked better, to boot)....

Back to the matter at hand: I pretty much agree with everything that's been said re: the shipwreck that is Ulong, but I would like to add to the list of crucial mistakes. I've wondered more than once why Ulong didn't can the reward challenges and save their energy for the ICs. Referencing the protein/carb exchange a bit earlier, if one looks at total energy available vs. total energy needed for 2 challenges, I'd have to lobby for saving my depleted stores for winning an IC vs. winning the opportunity to expend more energy swimming with jellies. When a team is laid so low, it seems that they would become even more strategic about *what* they win, not just winning. Food, work your butt off; pringles, thanks but no thanks. They'd've been better off using that energy to learn to fish or to gather food & water.

As for Tom and his influence: he depends on his real life teammates for his actual survival, so it makes sense that he'd emit this sort of let's be in it together energy and that the others would pick up on it. Everyone except Colby is in job that requires interaction; there's some kind of inter-dependent dynamic to being a lawyer, a corporate marketing devil exec, a lawyer, a fireman, a trainer (esp. of dolphins), a showgirl, and a ..... . I'll be darned if I can't remember the last one (it's probably one that will squash my theory). Tom is, I have no doubt, the strongest player - mentally & phyiscally- that's been on Survivor for a long time, if not in all times.
    Last edited by JR.; 04-12-2005 at 06:28 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by gaebolga
    The Ulong women seemed both stronger and smarter than the Koror women (except for Kim, of course...although I suspect Kim was stronger than Caryn and Janu)

Ya know, I would really like to have seen one of the challenges be a Kim versus Jen "Tastes Great/Less Filling" brawl.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by kerry
    Back to the matter at hand: I pretty much agree with everything that's been said re: the shipwreck that is Ulong, but I would like to add to the list of crucial mistakes. I've wondered more than once why Ulong didn't can the reward challenges and save their energy for the ICs. Referencing the protein/carb exchange a bit earlier, if one looks at total energy available vs. total energy needed for 2 challenges, I'd have to lobby for saving my depleted stores for winning an IC vs. winning the opportunity to expend more energy swimming with jellies. When a team is laid so low, it seems that they would become even more strategic about *what* they win, not just winning. Food, work your butt off; pringles, thanks but no thanks. They'd've been better off using that energy to learn to fish or to gather food & water..
    In a sense that is what Koror did instead of Ulong. Though they didn't necessarily have to save their energy for IC challenges, they saved their best and strongest for IC challenges (most of the time) which was key to success. Unfortunate for Ulong, as their numbers dwindled, it gave Koror the advantage of always having fresh players no matter what the challenge was for. But that's all part of the game and you've got to be adaptable to the situation at hand. Immunity is the priority. Being well fed or well rested means squat if your going to Tribal council and possibly loser lodge that night.

Some of the RC rewards were really lame, I wouldn't waste any energy to win pringles and Margaritas...just not worth it. That's one I don't want, the salt makes you thirsty and the booze leaves you hungover and easy pickins for the next challenge. Though Ulong won fishing stuff, they weren't very good at using it. Why nobody thinks to learn this stuff before coming on survivor is a head scratcher

FORT Fogey
    Whatever the reason, the destruction of Ulong has been both entertaining to watch and somewhat boring to have to suffer through. Does make you wonder if there was a planned merge between the tribes but when MB saw what was happening with Ulong, decided to play it out with no merge to see what happened....

where's my rose garden? Covaleskie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene
    Tom has such strong character that he just refuses to give up. His intensity and determination have definitely inspired Ian on a couple of occasions when it looked like Ian couldn't go on anymore in some of the challenges. I think Tom has also inspired Gregg, Coby, and many of the others. It may not be something they realize, but just put yourself in the position of seeing this middle aged man, gray hair, who doesn't look any more special than anyone else, and then look at how in physical challenges, he has seemed like Superman. I think Tom is teaching us all alot about the character of firefighters all over this country...
    Tom reminds me of Mike Skupin (sp?) from Outback. If memory serves, Kucha had a nice winning streak there for a while with Skupin leading the team to victory. I know that Colby's later dominance in individual immunity overshadows Okagor's previous loses, but there was a time when Ogakor was almost out of the game. Amber was nearly broken in spirit along with the rest of the tribe, and they were facing going into merge one member down when Skupin fell into the fire.

It makes me wonder about the power behind that kind of leadership. Can anyone think of another Tom/Mike type player to contrast?
    There's always one in every bunch.

Covaleskie,

Wow.. that is a perfect comparison. It just brings back memories of Michael doing the water pail balancing challenge... symbolic for carrying the weight of his team with his leadership.

I've often wondered just how it all would have played out if Michael had not fallen into that fire. We just might have the chance to see it with Tom.

The only other person that I might put in that mold is Andrew from Panama.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I thought voting Angie off was stupid. She performed extremely well in challenges and worked around camp. James or Ib should have gone before her. She earned her chance. Also, didn't they quit winning even reward challenges when they voted her off. Poor Steph - who has performed amazing well - I hope she survives a little longer. Ulong - the dumbest tribe ever!

Leo
    Premium Member
    There's a very interesting possibility that the utter annihiliation of Ulong and the departure of Coby offers: for perhaps the first time ever, we could have a final three completely made up of very strong, physical competitors. Normally, by this point, we'd have eliminated horribly weak players like Janu, and maybe Caryn and Jenn. However, they're still here, and if the possible Tom-Ian-Steph-Katie alliance shows up and holds, it's possible the rest of Koror could be eliminated in short order.

I'm thinking if Steph does join forces with Tom's alliance, Gregg will be gone in short order since they know he could be a problem better dealt with earlier than sooner. If that happens next week, then you have a strong alliance of four, with three other incredibly weak players left. Do the math - there's a good chance you could have Tom, Ian, and Steph in the final three. All of whom are strong, physical competitors - it would be, as far as I can remember, unprecedented.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345