+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Koror's Unexpected Disadvantage

FORT Fan

Koror's Unexpected Disadvantage

The lopsidedness in tribe numbers between Ulong and Koror could create an interesting anomaly.

Every tribe has some members who are weaker and who are less likely to be helpful during challenges. These are the people who are usually in the rotation for sitting out challenges when their tribe has a numbers advantage.

But, in the case of Koror, their numbers are so lopsided that they are forced to sit out several tribe members during challenges. And, since they cannot sit out the same people in back-to-back challenges, it means that they may have to start sitting out their stronger players. Obviously, this is something that a tribe normally wouldn't do.

If the tribes do not merge soon and if Koror keeps winning immunity, it could become an issue. They may even get to a point where they have such a numbers advantage that it becomes impossible for them to sit the same people out in back-to-back challenges. (That would happen if Ulong had less than half of the tribe members that Koror has).

Does anyone know what, if any, contingency plans producers have if (because of lopsided tribal numbers and the "sit-out" rule):

a) a tribe is forced to sit out strong players from challenges, and
    b) it becomes impossible for a tribe to sit out different people in back-to-back challenges.

I do not recall this being a big issue in Marquesas where Maraamu lost the first four IC's. When Rotu had a four-person advantage over Maraamu, the RC involved a tribe member directing his blindfolded tribemates to find pieces of a tiki tower, then assembling them once the pieces are all retrieved. The IC had the tribes building a distress signal for a passing boat. At this point, Rotu had eight members while Maraamu had four. Can anyone remember if Rotu had to sit out the four they used for the RC for the IC? Or was the distress signal challenge a "tribal" thing where everyone got to work on it?

My recollection is that the rule that a player could not sit-out back-to-back challenges was not in force for the Marquesas season.
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

Am I wacked, or did they Koror set out the same 3 people 2 challenges in a row? It seems like the people that sat out last night are the same ones that sat out of the last immunity challenge.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Well I chalk it up under the category of "a good problem to have". I suspect there are only a few more challenges before some kind of shuffle/merge.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think that there will be a mix of teams ... with only 4 vs 8, a shuffle is NEEDED, to make 6 vs 6 or 5 vs 7. A merge will most likely not happen until there are usually 10 people left ... (2 finalists, 7 jury members, and usually 1 that just gets outsed). The only time i think that this did not happen was in Thailand where they had separate tribes on one beach ... and one team had to vote off Erin, who became the first member of the jury. if anyone thinks im wrong ... please post. i'm not completely sure

FORT Fogey
    They also merged late for AS. Jerri was the 10th place finisher but she never made the merge. The merge was just made up of the jurors and the F2.

If the teams do not merge next week as expected.. then I would hope and imagine that, if the rule is still in place, Koror will sit out their stronger players during the Reward Challenge and not the Immunity Challenge.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    If the teams do not merge next week as expected.. then I would hope and imagine that, if the rule is still in place, Koror will sit out their stronger players during the Reward Challenge and not the Immunity Challenge.
    I'm wondering if they will even merge. The way Jeff said last night at TC "We are not merging." made me wonder if they even will until there are 2 left at Ulong.

I don't think there will be a merger for at least two weeks.

And, there should be an advantage to a losing team. Voting out the weaker players until the strongest ones are left has typically been the smartest thing to do -- and part of the reason that you don't usually see such lopsided immunity challenge results.

It is already clear that even the Ulong member(s) that make the merge will be at a serious numbers disadvantage and will have to scramble (playing Koror alliances against each other) to survive. But, it has repeatedly been done.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Am I wacked, or did they Koror set out the same 3 people 2 challenges in a row? It seems like the people that sat out last night are the same ones that sat out of the last immunity challenge.
    I missed the show due to the night change, but after reading the recap that was the first question I asked myself

Willard and Katie did not compete in the final immunity challenge last week.

So I am not sure what is up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast