+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Survivor: Jumping the Shark?

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Lastly, no disrespect to Mr. Burnett, but personally, just because he claims something (i.e. pre-planning challenges, twists) doesn't necessarily make it fact.
    No disrespect, but losing players who looked bad claiming they lost not because of their own sheer incompetence (as was the case with Stacey) but blaming someone else, doesn't mean their claims are fact.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    No disrespect, but losing players who looked bad claiming they lost not because of their own sheer incompetence (as was the case with Stacey) but blaming someone else, doesn't mean their claims are fact.
    If you had read my original statement, I never took a position in the Stillman accusations. The only people who know the actual truth are Stacey, Marc Burnett, and those who he allegedly talked with.

Also, while it may look like "sore losing", but quickly ousted contestant Wanda briefly caused a dustup earlier this season when she claimed that several cast members had been "recruited" because when she asked about their application video, they claimed not to have made one.

A CBS spokesman attempted to clear up the situation by saying the terminology Wanda used may have confused the players she spoke with. While I haven't followed this story, I'm sure that both Wanda and CBS are sticking with their respective version of events. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time a reality series has scouted out possible players instead of using applicants who actually applied (i.e. "The Amazing Race").

Lastly, it is very easy to accuse those who make accusations (i.e. Stacey, Wanda) of being sore losers when they make their allegations. However, that label, while possible, is just too convenient. After all, is a winner going to complain or say "you know, I really don't deserve this million dollar check." My whole point with this issue is that it is not impossible, even with FCC rules on the books, to "fix" or "influence" reality series outcomes. Also, don't several (if not all) reality series contain some kind of disclaimer which states producers can change rules at any time during the game?

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    If you've looked at any of the spoiler boards at all, you'll know that everything was planned out ahead of time. During one of the seasons there was a picture of the story board up and all of the challenges laid out on it along with which events like the merge and tribals switches would take place on what day. It would be really hard to change anything just because the producer didn't like the way the game was turning out. I really think that what you see with the twists and everything is the way it was originally planned. You can never preplan for personalities and the interaction of the players cause you never really know how someone is going to behave once the game is on. That's what makes it so interesting. Life in miniature, warts and all.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Snoozin' on the beach
    How many people have been on Survivor 1-10? Only 9 won the million dollars. We won't even count Wanda (or any this season) as this season is not even over yet. Its not like Stacy is the only person to NOT win the money. Figure 15 per season (minus twist of add ons) and 9 full seasons to date, that's 135 people who didn't win either. It's either sour grapes or just a way for her to try and cash in on her 15 minutes of fame. How many reality TV fame whores have we seen do that?

It's especially unbelievable that they'd conspire to boot her in favor of Rudy because it was the first season. They had no idea how huge it would get and the numbers they'd haul in. No idea who would and wouldn't be popular and therefore a ratings generator or if the show itself would tank and get no viewers. They had challenges planned and premise of the show but the rest they were learning as they went.

Sure its not impossible to influence the outcome of survivor. It's also not impossible to fix or influence the outcome of lotteries, company profits, sports, elections, trials or any and every other thing in the world. Its not impossible, but it is improbable.

I'm gonna stick with the 18-20 million other people that continue to enjoy the show and leave the conspiracy debating for others now

Quote Originally Posted by gracie
    If you've looked at any of the spoiler boards at all, you'll know that everything was planned out ahead of time. During one of the seasons there was a picture of the story board up and all of the challenges laid out on it along with which events like the merge and tribals switches would take place on what day.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the storyboard spoiler from this season, and I'm don't want to "spoil" anything, so I'll be careful here...

The storyboard for Survivor: Pulau was shown in a 30-special program shown in some areas of the US. This program involved some interview that took place a couple of days before the series began filming, and there is quite a spoiler search involving this program. Many of the challenges and rewards and twists and such thus far have been predicted. However, there have been some changes. The challenge to be used as the Reward Challenge in Episode Six was instead used as the Reward Challenge in Episode Three (the one with the rings being carried to the platforms).

What does this mean? Perhaps there is a LOT more planning than we see. Perhaps they have a lot of challenges and twists planned for pre-determined situations like "If the tribes have the same number of members on Day 13, we have a Tribal Switch". Imagine how poorly the switch in Survivor: Africa would have gone if the tribes had been uneven *cringe*. Also, Jeff Probst once mentioned that the challenge crew had a difficult time finding challenges that could work for Survivor: Marquesas around Day 13-15, when it was Rotu - 8, Maraamu - 4.

*gets on soapbox* Besides, a double boot had to happen sometime, as a precaution against a "worst case scenario". What's the worst case scenario? One tribe loses EVERY immunity and gets Pagonged. Could you imagine anything worse than the FINAL TWO AND THE ENTIRE FREAKING JURY being from the SAME TRIBE? *gets off soapbox, then gets back on* Sorry to those who've read that twice now, as I said it last season after the double boot, too. *gets off soapbox for real this time*

If the crew did enough planning, then these "spur of the moment" sounding twists could actually be planned for these extenuating circumstances. Besides, who knows what would have happened had the tribes stayed close to even? Well... the double boot still would have happened, just to keep the precedent for future seasons involving tribes of (2 + Number of Jurors). Past that... well, this isn't a spoiler thread. (If you must know, PM me... but you don't really want to read spoilers, do you?)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    I still like Survivor and I look forward to it each week. I think Burnett & Co have done well to make each season as fresh as possible.

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that they plan these things out pretty well in advance. It would be pretty difficult to just 'wing it'.

I agree. I think for the most part it is well planned out, but they also have to have back up plans in case, which is okay as well. For example, say there was no tribal switch or merge planned until the tribes get down to say 9.(a 5-4) So far, it looks like Ulong will be heading to TC until they are all gone. No one probably predicted that, right? Most of the time the teams are pretty well evened out. So what does MB & Co. do now? From the way Jeff sounded the other night about "we are not merging" made me think a merge was pretty far off. So now that Ulong's numbers are getting really low, they now have to change a few challenges and what not to accomodate 8 against 4. If that is the case (which I'm not sure it is or not) I wouldn't mind that as long as the integrity of the game stayed intact. No one can predict how players will play or teams will end up doing, so if they need to tweak here and there, change a challenge or two, I'm all for it.

I don't really see how this show can jump the shark. Each season we have a new set of cast members; it's not like it's the exact same show each season. While it's hard to jump into a comedy or drama at the beginning of the season (because of back story), the same cannot be said of Survivor. There is no back story at the beginning of each season. I honestly believe that each season brings in new viewers and will continue to bring in new viewers. I will continue to watch this show until they cancel it, and I truly like this season. Heck, I've liked all the seasons, even Africa which was not the best season. Nearly two years ago, I made sure to see the finale of that season of Survivor even though I just gone through a very difficult labor and delivery for my daughter. I told someone that makes me a true fan, and I will continue to be one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567