+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Jumping the Shark?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    As long as they keep putting new seasons of Survivor on the air for me to watch & snark on.. I'll always watch.

I absolutely HATE when a season is compared to other seasons.. who gives a rat's bunghole?? Sometimes there will be things that seem better this time around, or worse..or boring.. so what? It's all the same in the end.. ONE PERSON WINS A MILLION BUCKS.

The constant "picking apart" of Survivor seasons gets stale IMO.. how about just sitting back and watching it? I think being a Fort Fanatic can ruin the whole reality show experience if people allow themselves to KNOW too much about these seasons.
    That's why I strictly stay away from the *spoiler threads*... I DO NOT want to know too much, I don't want to know who turned in a video application and who didn't.. it's that sort of stuff that'll taint it, IMO.

I have no problems with watching season after season, and no..it's not jumping the shark.. If ANYTHING is jumping the shark, it's the complaints of every.single SEASON about not being happy with this Survivor for one reason or another.

The second they have a Celebrity Survivor THEN it's jumped the shark. Even then...I'll still watch. What can I say..I'm an addict...a true addict.
    Last edited by Maveno; 03-17-2005 at 02:12 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

LG.
    we'll know it is truly the apocolypse if Ted McGinley shows up . . .
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

HATE that phrase. LOVE the show. But I'm just a big Survivor nerd and have enjoyed all of the seasons, some more than others but I haven't come close to hating any of them. Not even all-stars. Maybe I'm just mean but I thought eating in front of the other tribe was great. Yeah, the other tribe was hungry and would've loved to have some of that stew but it's not like they're death camp starving. They have fishing gear, if they're hungry it's their own fault.

Edit to add: Yeah that to what Maveno said, almost exactly the way I feel about it.
    Last edited by Zerfley; 03-17-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." – B. Russell

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    As long as they keep putting new seasons of Survivor on the air for me to watch & snark on.. I'll always watch.

I absolutely HATE when a season is compared to other seasons.. who gives a rat's bunghole?? Sometimes there will be things that seem better this time around, or worse..or boring.. so what? It's all the same in the end.. ONE PERSON WINS A MILLION BUCKS.

The constant "picking apart" of Survivor seasons gets stale IMO.. how about just sitting back and watching it? I think being a Fort Fanatic can ruin the whole reality show experience if people allow themselves to KNOW too much about these seasons.
    That's why I strictly stay away from the *spoiler threads*... I DO NOT want to know too much, I don't want to know who turned in a video application and who didn't.. it's that sort of stuff that'll taint it, IMO.

I have no problems with watching season after season, and no..it's not jumping the shark.. If ANYTHING is jumping the shark, it's the complaints of every single SEASON about not being happy with Survivor for one reason or another.
    I tried to stay spoiler free, and I might actually enjoy Survivor for a change if I didn't know what was going to happen. But it about kills me if I don't know whether a fave of mine is going to get the boot. IMO, I don't think Palau will be one of the greatest, but I thought Vanuatu started getting good around episode 9, so there's still time for it to turn around. Only reason I compare one season to another is that by 10 seasons, I would like to see some new stuff going on and not the same old stuff that's been repeated over and over again. The producers can throw in all the twists they want, but they can't control what the contestants do as far as voting (unless you're Stacey Stillman) :rolleyes
    Last edited by karalott; 03-17-2005 at 02:17 PM.

I thought last night's twists (all of them) were great. Talk about mentally abusing somebody.

The vote for immunity was intense to say the least and I'm glad Ib got the immunity last night. I was so hoping James' name would have been written down more.

They just set up a whole new drama not only for Ulong, but now Koror. The Q&A around their camp about who voted for whom could tell us something about the remaining Koror tribe...that is, if the editors will let us get to know them a little better. :rolleyes

The only complaint I have about this season is the editing seems to be one-sided (the perty side of course) and I don't get to see my faves interacting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno

I absolutely HATE when a season is compared to other seasons.. who gives a rat's bunghole??
    I'm with you Mav. I just want to be entertained. As long as that's happening, I'm fine. I don't sit around wondering if I'm being entertained three degrees more than I was in Season Two or five degrees less than in Season Eight.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    Well, I'm with those who are enjoying this season.
    The locale is beautiful, I've been interested in these players and the challenges have entertained me. The twists and turns are necessary to keep the players on their toes as far as strategy and alliances go.
    I thought this episode was great! For Koror to be able to watch Ulong's tribal counsel and then ended up giving immunity to the player that Ulong was going to vote off ...excellent!
    I'm having fun ...no shark jumping for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Oculona

Last night I was tempted to turn to another station, they were being so cruel to the Ulong tribe. For me that isn’t the kind of Survivor I enjoy watching.
    Agreed. I wonder how much of a hand MB has in this season, and whether he would have agreed to this odd 'twist'. Especially since Ulong is so down in the dumps anyway. Not good form to 'kick a tribe while it's down'

Remember most viewers watch because Survivor is an intriguing lesson in how people interact - how they proactively make strategies that help them along in the game.

There was nothing useful Ulong could do while watching Koror munch away. It was just cruel.

Just MHO.

BTW If watercooler talk is any indication, Survivor is still going strong, at least at MY company!

ABE
    I personally thought that the Koror vote for Immunity twist was the best surprise I have ever seen on Survivor. It made for such a positive change from the standard situation of "tribe decides who to vote off and editors spend the rest of episode trying to trick viewers into believing somone else is going".

Koror had to go from eating stew to making a major strategic, potential game outcome influencing decision without any internal alliance consultation. Look how close the vote was. If Ibrahem does not get the Koror lifeline he is gone!

Ulong is thrown into an even bigger tizzy when Ibrahem gets immunity. Next there is, for the first time in many seasons, a TIE between Angie and Bobby-Jon. The tie does not result in pulling a purple rock (thank god) but everyone votes again and Stephanie now CHANGES HER VOTE from Bobby Jon to Angie.

For me this was all fantastic stuff and very consistent with what Jeff said at the beginning of the season. Every decision will have a consequence.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by gaebolga
    Since they appear to be playing up the "Koror men vs. the shark" angle, this might literally be the season that a Survivor jumps the shark....
    Late to the Posting Party, but here all along.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast