+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palau Perspective (Episode 4) - To Lead or Not to Lead

Palau Perspective (Episode 4) - To Lead or Not to Lead

Episode 4

The Palau Perspective is a weekly look at the political intrigue and alliance related trends occurring in the tribes. Who is wheeling? Who is dealing? And of course, who is reeling?

In this episode, we saw a hint of division forming in Koror, pure dismay in Ulong and the quest for a leader proved to be a rocky road.

Lean On Me

First, let’s take a look at Koror, since they are a dominating force. As viewers, we assume that Tom, followed closely by sweet and extremely tall Ian, is the leader of the pack. When the time came to choose a representative for the team, Tom proposed Gregg, who did not seem eager to take on that role. I thought that was rather interesting; is he trying to stay low profile or didn’t he want to take the risk of changing tribes?

Ian in return, did not have a problem stepping up. When it came down to voting, Coby pointed out something we had not previously seen. Apparently, Tom, Ian, Gregg along with Katie and Jennifer are sticking together. Coby, Janu, Caryn and Willard are what we’ll call “the underdogs.”

I think there’s a clear link of people in that tribe. Tom is the leader and his right-hand man is Ian. Tom also likes Gregg who in return, sticks with Jen for some reason we don’t know yet (more on that below.) Jenn, I assume from quick clips, is friends with Katie, so that completes the first circle. After viewing some videos on the Survivor site, I witnessed Coby state that Katie would probably be voted off early, because she is lazy and is Kim’s twin on Koror. The thing that saves her, apparently, is her sense of humor. Caryn has made it clear that she dislikes Katie, so she is immediately excluded from that first group. As for the three others, I guess they just stick together, brewing some extraordinary plan that will blow the viewers away.

Busted!

Surprisingly, the editing, until today, had not shown the most obvious alliance in Koror; Jenn and Gregg are cuddle buddies! You know who Jenn is, right? The blonde girl with the big smile and more confessionals than Darrah? (Ha!)There was previous evidence at the official Survivor site, with pictures of them hugging and being friendly. In this episode, we saw them hugging once again and encouraging each other at the immunity challenge. I even think I heard a “go babe!” during one of their turns. This is not the Amazing Race; I thought we were at least safe from the “babe” term. Why has the editing not shown this relationship before today? We saw plenty of Jeff and Kim’s “heat tactics” just before they were both voted out.

Ian and Tom are looking real good right now. I fear it may be too good to be true. Something interesting this time around was a comment made by Willard. Big Willy said that T&I never skipped a day without complimenting every single member of the tribe, in front of everyone else. Whether it is strategy on their part, or simply their attitude, people are noticing it.

Now, what can we say about Caryn? Not a day goes by without her complaining or creating some kind of drama. This time around, Tom was too perfect for her liking. Everyone should ask her how to make fire or if they are building the things correctly. She didn’t even have the guts to make her whining confessional out loud, she had to whisper. Look for her to be booted soon, if the Koror fab 5 stays in shape. She's not that great in challenges and she doesn't seem to strategize at all.

That is, if our scheming friend Coby doesn’t react soon. Keeping in mind that his tribe is still intact, Coby has been less focused about the voting aspect of the game than in the first episode. He did notice the separation between the young folks + Tom and the “people who are often sitting out challenges” + him. I think he may have a trick up his sleeve. He’ll have to find a long-sleeved shirt to wear, though, because right now, he’s all talk and no action. With the possible twists next episode, he may be reunited with Angie. Will she trust him or will she make sure he’s the next to go?

Last individual point I want to make is about Janu. She barely gets any airtime and as some of you viewers already noticed, she looks terrible. She never smiles or seems to have any energy. Once again, according to Coby, (that should be a new sitcom title) Janu has health troubles and is not feeling well. So, if you look at the big picture, it’s almost a certainty that the next boot will] come from one of the Koror members, possibly one of the 4 underdogs, or Katie, the cool crowd outsider/ lazy survivor #2.

To conclude the part about Koror, we have to keep in mind that rarely a team has been so dominating in the immunity challenges. On top of it all, they were treated to a brand new shelter, perhaps the only thing that was not going right in their Survivor experience. They have spent a lot of time together, and as we’ve seen in previous seasons, they may want to vote out some of their own, come merge or twist time. They are really strong right now, but I have a feeling that Wednesday, jaws will drop and (unknown) alliances will crumble.

How Much Longer, Ulong?

Morale is low, they are losing immunity challenges as often as Britney Spears changes husbands and they got out-bathroomed* by Koror. This past week might’ve been the last we saw of this struggling team with its current members, as Jeff promised twists and turns in the preview.

Bobby Jon keeps on being a hard worker around the camp (his manly scars prove it.) His name never came up for torch-snuffing yet, so he’s still safe. The main thing was, Ulong always had someone on their hit-list, so BJ didn’t have to think about strategy that much, except when he wanted to keep Jeff instead of Kim. He definitely helps the others keep their hopes up and he’s a vital part of what’s left of the tribe.

At tribal council, we saw possible hints of things to come. The girls, Kim, Angie and Steph, stated that they were easily as good as the men and could survive on their own. H-e-l-l-o! Earth to Ulong ladies, there was your strategy right there! They voted out Kim because she was useless. Fair enough, but we’ll have to watch out for their next voting move. Steph hinted that Angie and her might have to stick with one guy for the reminder of the game. That’s a good plan, as Ibrehem and BJ seem pretty close.

James, who had been relatively safe until now, didn’t look too good this week. He took on somewhat of a leadership role and annoyed the girls while doing so. Not a good idea, if you ask me. Kim even voted for him before going. He has to watch who he talks down to or he just might be next on the chopping block for Ulong, if Ulong there is next week.

Steph & Angie are looking strong on their week tribe. By show of hands, who would’ve thought Angie would be a challenge superwoman before the season started? Even after the first episode? Anyone? She truly is the person to look out for in the next week weeks. I firmly believe the little snippet we saw in the first episode between her and Coby reeked of foreshadowing. Will she take him out or will they realign? Maybe she could join the Koror Underdogs, but I think she is sitting strong with Steph and Bobby Jon in her back pocket.

Ibrehem doesn’t really do much. He is tall and handsome, sometimes useful in challenges and around camp. He did have the nasty habit to vote by himself in the first episodes. He should start to get his head in the game, even if his head is currently in the clouds because of his height.

Goodbye, Farewell, We Really Won’t Miss You That Much.

Kim, the self-promoted Brains of Ulong, was finally voted out. Did anyone feel she played a good strategic game? If strategy involved having an obvious “non-alliance” and being the laziest survivor in recent memory then, yes, she’s the best ever! If not, then go home and try another reality show next time.

Next episode, I bet alliances will be flying off the shelves as fast as if it was 4 o’clock on Christmas Eve.
    A shocking twist is promised, but please, please don’t let it be an outcast part 2 kind of idea or I won’t respond of my actions. I may even destroy my “I heart Ryno” t-shirt in protest.

Email me at silverstar@fansofrealitytv.com Ok, I really don’t own such a shirt but in protest, I could pout and make angry eyes at my T.V.

*New term of the English language, effective immediately. Adjective, 1.Survivor-related term, used mainly when Ulong loses a bathroom-building challenge to Koror.

Very well done Silver! If a change up does not happen the "underdogs" will go easily, unless they can swing Katie over. But most likely one of them are gone, if Coby stays around I think he is smart enough to win it all.

As for the three others, I guess they just stick together, brewing some extraordinary plan that will blow the viewers away.

If only.
    I so hope this is the case.
    Much as I would like to see Tom's group, well, Tom and Ian more accurately, do well, I don't want to see anyone just lie back and accept their "fate".
    Fight to stay in the game.

Why has the editing not shown this relationship before today? We saw plenty of Jeff and Kim’s “heat tactics” just before they were both voted out.
    You could have hit the nail on the head right there.
    We might not have seen much of them so far because they aren't going anywhere for a while.
    I'm not looking forward to seeing more cuddles with baited breath :rolleyes

Excellent analysis, Silver.
    Each week the Perspective writer makes me see things differently.
    Always a very interesting article to read.

Great job

Just when we thought the cuddles had been exterminated, here they come again :cry

I loved your insight Silver. I agree with you on James. He is on shakier ground than he thinks he is.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Great Job Silver! Is that a Ryno shirt as in Ryne Sandberg(cubs hall of famer) or Ryan O from......oh I forget which season?

Either way...don't destroy it!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by silveriffic
    *New term of the English language, effective immediately. Adjective, 1.Survivor-related term, used mainly when Ulong loses a bathroom-building challenge to Koror.
    I'll be using this term soon and often!

Excellent job Silver! Like Fluff said, I'm always surprised at the new insights I get from these perspectives. You caught a few angles I hadn't considered. Thanks!
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Hello Silverstar, its good to see that you survived your experiences with the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Search with your intellect intact.

Very interesting perspective.

I guess that I am not very Machiavellian because I cannot see all the scheming that you do. I know that it is there I just can't anticipate it.

My only quibble is that you ruined my fanatasy of Ulong losing every immunity challenge until there is only one member left in the tribe and he or she is forced to vote themself off at the final Ulong tribal council.

Big Willy said that T&I never skipped a day without complimenting every single member of the tribe, in front of everyone else. Whether it is strategy on their part, or simply their attitude, people are noticing it.
    @ Big Willy. Great analysis Silver. It'll definitely be interesting on how the other tribe members take to Tom and Ian's compliments.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Excellent analysis, Silver.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

She didn’t even have the guts to make her whining confessional out loud, she had to whisper.
    Great attention to detail. Excellent analysis, Silver!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast