+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CBS Stacked the Deck.

Wanda is eccentric and she played a poor game because of it (and yes, the game starts the moment they're all on that boat together), but Wanda is right on this...the producers definitely "stacked the deck". They saw what happened last time and were determined to prevent it this time. They did so by making sure there were enough young, attractive people that not all of them could be voted out, at least not quickly, by the older, more sensible, less attractive people. This was evident by a visit to the Survivor website even before the season began. And I'm glad they did.

The other problem with 'recruiting' contestants is that they MAY not be as dedicated to the game and to winning. I read that both Osten and Ashlee were 'recruited' somehow and they quit the game. I know anyone Can quit, but I bet Wanda wouldn't have asked to be voted out as Ashlee obviously did after hearing what the voters said that nite when casting their votes and I think Ashlee even confirmed it on the morning show the next day.
    CBS just chose not to show Ashlee 'quitting' to the audience because they really dont like that and I certainly dont like it either.
    Maybe Mark Burnett will finally figure out that if you have EVERYONE go thru the same difficult selection process he would get more committed people.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I've read another 'model' might quit tonite! So for that reason I want only 'normal' people

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I would have rather been stuck with a quitter than with Wanda, personally. But I will agree that it seems unfair for people like Osten and Ashlee to get on over people who want to play the game, take the time to apply (and maybe people who applied in the past) and yet quit. I'm surprised they didn't recruit them for Big Brother, because they seem more cut out for that show. I'm sure there's a bunch of eye candy, aspiring model/actor Hollywood wannabes that apply the normal way who at least might stick around.

karen14, to reply to what you said in spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I heard the same thing, and if it's true I will start to question MB's judgment. Techinically, it will be the fifth person who's quit the game, behind Osten, Sue, Jenna M., and Ashlee. However, I don't know if you heard who it might be, but I was kind of surprised.

FORT Fogey
    Jeff didn't quit though. I really don't see how he's a model, he's not THAT good looking. Well, rest assured, the one who actually has "model" in his cbs.com profile, Bobby Jon, will NOT quit. Maybe we don't need this many pretty people or models but at least educated people would suffice. Ugh, Vanuatu. Just ugh. But seriously, I enjoy this cast, find everyone either interesting or likable and am enjoying this season more than Pearl Islands, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Cutie
    Why would I watch ANTM? That's only girls, not guys and I don't care about girls, plus they make those chicks look weird in some of the pics.
    Well in defense of ANTM . I'm not "into" girls but, love that show. So far as this goes. If you take a look at the pictures up there of all the contestants there are less (eye of the beholder) but, what I see is less good looking people than "plain" looking people. Or, more like normal looking I should say.

I don't believe what Wanda says. She seems like a nutcase.
    so far as last season. I liked it. I was dissapointed to see
    what was it 3 really good looking guys go in a row? Was a bummer but, it was still good (IMO)
    I was rooting for Chris and liked the show a lot.
    Who is all that great looking here? a few of them. The guy that got the boot WITH Wanda was yummy. The interviewer should have asked her about him. (poor guy looked like he was gonna ball his eyes out) my cousin was saying she thinks they might bring him and Wanda back. Who knows.

I'd be surprised if they brought Wanda and Jonathan back. Not only because Jeff said he hated the Outcast twist, but I don't think Wanda would be carrying on the way she is if she was allowed to go back into the game. Obviously, she wouldn't be allowed to let anyone know whether she went back into the game, but she probably wouldn't be so sore about her ouster.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    ....I think Wanda is allowed a certain amount of disappointment. To work that hard to get somewhere (and, I don't care if she WAS singing, she isn't the first - and I'll take the corny survivor songs over some other contestant's religious hymns) and then get dumped before she can do ANYTHING survivoresque?
    I wouldn't deny Wanda her disappointment, but other than crafting her songs and then inflicting them on the others, I don't see where she did all that much work prepping for the contest. She did do something survivoresque in my opinion, but it was of the negative variety; the kind of instant and fatal self inflicted wound (her ditties) that I'd (apparently mistakenly) thought future contestants ought to learn from. One would think she'd have rethought her gameplan if she'd watched other seasons flameouts and actually intended to compete. It didn't sound to me like she was set on competing, just enjoying the ride as long as it lasted. Some rides are short. Hope she enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Everyone - whether they were recruited or not - gets paid. It depends on how long they lasted, of course, but it's not as if you walk away empty-handed.
    I believe that something like the first two booties from both tribes walking away with zilch would be a positive, however unrealistic it is on a practical basis. If you knew going in that unless you survived to a specific point in the game you weren't going to get a dime, and wouldn't even be deemed worthy of Loser Lounge vacation, it would quickly separate those applying who had a true desire to compete from the posers and clueless.

Jolanda didn't strike me as backwards, not on the show, the aftermath, or particularly her bio, and yet she made a boneheaded error in allowing the personality traits that had gotten others before her ousted. Was it that she could not moderate her essential personality even knowing in advance that similar outspoken traits had proven fatal numerous times before, or that she didn't care to moderate it, knowing in the back of her mind that at worst she was getting a paid vacation and some face time on tv?

I just wonder if we would see the same family of self inflicted game wounds repeated so often to become stereotypical examples if a player lost it all if they couldn't maintain some composure for at least the first week or so of the game.

The notion that they recruit contestants other than those who apply doesn't, or at least wouldn't bother me if it meant people that would be more active than lumps on a log. And recruiting outsiders doesn't seem like it has to involve model wannabees. I could see recruiting a Coby, James, or Angie just to liven things up for however they lasted. You don't have to be an expert on Survivor lore to compete, you just have to have a willingness to compete. It seems there is more selectivity than just models, as well, considering that NO ONE ever knows how to make a fire. What are the odds of that happening naturally season after season after season?

I get perturbed much more than recruiting pretty youngsters by those that have nothing to offer the game than the knowledge that if only they produce enough effort not to be a glaring drag on the tribe, and keep their mouth firmly sealed unless they're agreeing with those they've chosen to shelter beneath, they can act out the role of invisible man or woman, sliming under the radar while their betters die off. UTR makes sense to me when your already in trouble, but I've never cared for leeches that live off the others and then get rewarded by an elevated spot on the roster someone else should have had.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I just realized WHY I felt so annoyed that Wanda got the boot in the grade school pick'em game after busting her buns to get there while the pretty model recruits got to stay. Many years ago I was a contestant in the Miss Downey, CA beauty pageant. Only one I ever did, and it was a ton of work, but an interesting experience. Anyway, two days before the pageant, I was talking to a classmate (dummy didn't know I was in the pageant) and he was soooooo excited because he & his folks had been invited to the "secret hush-hush" celebration party for the pageant winner. Long story short - money talks. Well let me tell you, I was ROYALLY P.O.'d, but the tickets had been sold, my grandmum was flying in to see the pageant, etc. At the pageant, I talked to some of the other girls and learned that a couple of them had heard things too. But we were stuck. Anyway, surprise, surprise - the "chosen one" won the title. And went off to her celebration party. (However, too many people had found out about the "fix", so she didn't get to participate in the Miss California pageant - too sad )

I guess what I'm saying is that if Wanda had been the very FIRST bootee, she would have had at least a couple of days. And, she probably would have been unhappy, but she at least could have worn the title of "survivor". The way things worked out, she gets to be a "survivor wannabe". I can identify with her angst.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

More on the casting this season from TV Guide.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/050307c.asp

Survivor's Casting Chaos
    by Angel Cohn

Every year, thousands of Survivor fanatics film themselves doing outrageous things for the audition tapes they submit to the show. But do any of them really have a chance of landing on a desert isle?

Survivor: Palau's first ousted contestant, Wanda Shirk, told TVGuide.com that out of this season's original 20 players, seven people were cut and replaced with models from an agency who had not submitted audition tapes. Was the songbird of Palau blowing the whistle on a big cover-up? Or is she merely misinformed?

CBS casting director Lynne Spillman who helps pick contestants for Survivor and The Amazing Race insists it's the latter case. "[Shirk's assertion] is a completely false statement," she says. "Completely false. There was never an original 20 people cast. Wouldn't you be hearing from these 'other' seven that were 'originally' cast? There is no one on the show from a modeling agency. We don't use modeling agencies."

As for the players who allegedly told Shirk that they didn't get cast by submitting audition tapes, Spillman has a simple explanation. "We have never hidden the fact that we recruit people," she says. "I personally found Jonny Fairplay [from Survivor: Pearl Islands] on a bus-stop bench smoking a cigarette, and he just looked like such a character to me.

"But they still have to make an audition tape," she adds. "And the people who go to open calls technically didn't put their own tapes together, but they had a submission tape. So sometimes, if someone is asked that question, 'What did you do for your audition tape?', I guess the lingo [is confusing].

"Maybe [Wanda] misinterpreted what their answer was," Spillman continues. "They were all good-looking, and to her, that means model. So when they said that they didn't make a tape, it could have been an open call or they were recruited or whatever. There are a lot of the same types of people who apply season after season after season to Survivor you have to go outside the box to find different people or you'd be looking at the same thousands of tapes every season."

Was the songbird of Palau blowing the whistle on a big cover-up? Or is she merely misinformed?
    Misinformed? A sore loser and very bitter liar more like.

They replaced 7 of the other contestants with models, but kept Wanda? Yeah, right!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast